+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: When to buy a TV?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    No thanks much prefer my 55'' LED to my old CRT tellys. I remember my old man getting a 26'' telly in about 1980 and we all marvelled at the size of the screen. Now it is 2018 and there are few promises realised from the 1960s and 1970s science fiction, which is disappointing, but affordable, massive hi-def screens are one of them.
    Yeah, defo. Don't get me wrong, some of the best CRTs from back in the day, particularly Sony Trinitrons, were truly excellent and had very nice natural colours, and up until digital flat-screen technology had properly matured, I'd have taken one of those against some of the early examples of flat screens, as to my eyes the picture on the latter always looked rather 'forced' and unnatural in comparison.

However, that's no longer the case, and the latest (and best) OLED/HDR 4K TVs now take things to a whole new level, in terms of colour resolution and clarity, almost to the extent that with the best 4K Blu-Rays, and live UHD broadcasts (such as from the BBC), you don't feel as if the image you're looking at is on a screen, but rather genuinely lifelike, such is its almost tangible 'reach out and touch it' nature!

*BUT*, in order to experience that, and what these TVs are truly capable of, they MUST be properly calibrated, as outlined above (otherwise you're just pissing in the wind), so diligence here will pay significant dividends!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yeah, defo. Don't get me wrong, some of the best CRTs from back in the day, particularly Sony Trinitrons, were truly excellent and had very nice natural colours, and up until digital flat-screen technology had properly matured, I'd have taken one of those against some of the early examples of flat screens, as to my eyes the picture on the latter always looked rather 'forced' and unnatural in comparison.

However, that's no longer the case, and the latest (and best) OLED/HDR 4K TVs now take things to a whole new level, in terms of colour resolution and clarity, almost to the extent that with the best 4K Blu-Rays, and live UHD broadcasts (such as from the BBC), you don't feel as if the image you're looking at is on a screen, but rather genuinely lifelike, such is its almost tangible 'reach out and touch it' nature!

*BUT*, in order to experience that, and what these TVs are truly capable of, they MUST be properly calibrated, as outlined above (otherwise you're just pissing in the wind), so diligence here will pay significant dividends!

Marco.
    +1

With regard to the burn in issue, I have not seen the slightest hint of this problem and the TV got some heavy use over xmas/new year. I think there is a way of sorting it in the menu if it does become a problem.
    I wouldn't go back to a CRT or even my old Pioneer Plasma, good as it was.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Martin.

Yes things have come on and Im only half joking. Some of those early LEDs were shocking with standard definition though. Compared with a CRT they were just bad and Ive seen some shocking pictures that people thought were acceptable because they had an invite to the flat screen party.

Things have moved on and I thought that Turtle, Eagle, Cheetah programme looked amazing in high def. I am looking forward to 4K but have been holding off as I like to keep behind so I dont waste money

I'm brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Yes things have come on and Im only half joking. Some of those early LEDs were shocking with standard definition though. Compared with a CRT they were just bad and Ive seen some shocking pictures that people thought were acceptable because they had an invite to the flat screen party.

Things have moved on and I thought that Turtle, Eagle, Cheetah programme looked amazing in high def. I am looking forward to 4K but have been holding off as I like to keep behind so I dont waste money
    Yep, bought a Samsung 5 years ago lovely picture on HD but truly awful on SD, since improved by adding a bt box ( euro sport etc). Really agree about these modern HD pictures Marco, watched some snooker on you tube the
    other day somebody had put up, hd 50 fps or something looked simply amazing on my new Apple 4k retina screen. Same result mind Ronnie O still knocked all the balls in !. Now just need to find some money for 4k HDR ?

I'm Jerry.

One thing that I have only just realised is that LG keep on tweaking the firmware, making tiny improvements to the picture quality. Makes me want to stick with them.
    They just need to make my Talktalk box compatible with their remote and I will be happy.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456