+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: When to buy a TV?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    That exactly what I did with my LG55B7. Superb picture and with the very recent firmware update, there is nothing to come close. Whatever you do, don’t leave the settings on any standard setting, use the advanced picture mode.
    It just makes sense, Clive. Why spend big bucks on a top-notch TV and not get the absolute most out of it? Would anyone here do the same with their hi-fi system? No. Well, the same applies with your TV!

And I care about picture quality, just as much as I do about sound quality. Bottom line: if you're going to do a job in the first place, then do it RIGHT

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by bobvfr View Post
    The one thing I would suggest anyone thinking about a 4k UHD TV is HDR.

I bought my 65 inch top end Panasonic from a friend at a silly price, he paid over £3000 for it, it came down over time to £1500, I didn't pay half that price.

But it didn't come with HDR, luckily Panasonic released an upgrade via software. I wasn't expecting such a difference, but it truly does turn a top end telly into a superb TV.

Be aware of HDR.........
    Cheers for the nod!

I've just updated the firmware on my Panasonic TX-55CX802 to provide HDR capability on the HDMI inputs...

What HDR content are you watching? presumably one requires an HDR source for this to work
    Cheers, Will

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    That exactly what I did with my LG55B7. Superb picture and with the very recent firmware update, there is nothing to come close. Whatever you do, don’t leave the settings on any standard setting, use the advanced picture mode.

Current price seems to be about £1499 and I’m led to understand that they are becoming as rare as hens teeth.
    Could you do a link to the video you used Clive?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post

What HDR content are you watching? presumably one requires an HDR source for this to work
    Have to admit I assumed it wasn't just for the HDMI inputs so I was watching stuff from Netflix using the app on the TV, I am planning to upgrade my Xbox One to the Xbox One X in the next couple of weeks, this is a 4k setup with HDR.

I had watched a couple of those Moving Art films when I got the Panasonic and as far as I am concerned they look much better since the upgrade.

Happy to be proved wrong though.

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    Cheers for the nod!

I've just updated the firmware on my Panasonic TX-55CX802 to provide HDR capability on the HDMI inputs...

In essence-better pixels in your TV Will. Have a read of this:
    http://www.techradar.com/news/televi...inment-1280990
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    Could you do a link to the video you used Clive?
    Hi
    I would love to but I can’t seem to find a way of doing that from You Tube on my iPad. I searched for HDTV LG 55 professional review and a number of clips came up, so that’s probably a good place to start. I remember trawling through a number of clips. WARNING, avoid the American who suggests using the Vivid setting, he’s a numpty.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Not sure if this is the right TV (Clive would need to stipulate the model number of his), but it's an example of the type of TV concerned, and from the same company I used to optimise the colour settings on my Sony:

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    In essence-better pixels in your TV Will. Have a read of this:
    http://www.techradar.com/news/televi...inment-1280990
    I know what HDR is ;-) what I was saying was that the Panasonic 802's didn't have HDR capability before the upgrade, although I don't have an HDR source to plug into an HDMI slot, that watching 4k using the built in Netflix app has to my eyes improved substantially, given all of Netflix's offerings are HDR encoded, I have assumed that HDR has kicked in for this as well as for the HDMI slots.

Well it has for me, and even my wife stopped what she was doing in the kitchen to watch as she thought the improvement was noticeable.

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by bobvfr View Post
    I know what HDR is ;-) what I was saying was that the Panasonic 802's didn't have HDR capability before the upgrade, although I don't have an HDR source to plug into an HDMI slot, that watching 4k using the built in Netflix app has to my eyes improved substantially, given all of Netflix's offerings are HDR encoded, I have assumed that HDR has kicked in for this as well as for the HDMI slots.

Well it has for me, and even my wife stopped what she was doing in the kitchen to watch as she thought the improvement was noticeable.
    Cheers for the feedback, so you recon that HDR is being invoked automatically by the Netflix stream...I couldn't see anywhere to switch it on/off other than on an HDMI channel

I've not used Netflix, presumably there's no option to select HDR or not, is the content clearly marked as HDR or not?

Now I've upgraded my 802 to be HDR capable, presumably there's no way of doing an A/B comparison on Netflix...

EDIT; I think I've found the answer...from https://help.netflix.com/en/node/42384

If you have an HDR capable TV and the 4 Screen Netflix streaming plan, available titles will display an HDR logo next to their description: .

If you have a Dolby Vision capable TV and the 4 Screen Netflix streaming plan, available titles will display the Dolby Vision logo next to their description: . On Cast TVs, you will see a similar Dolby Vision logo on the loading screen: .

Not all titles are available in Dolby Vision or HDR.
    Last edited by WAD62; 29-11-2017 at 12:43.
    Cheers, Will

I'm Bob.

Just checked, not seeing an HDR logo, just Ultra HD 4k.

However I have just put on the Moving art episode one of series one, all I can say is it's stunning and far better than when I first got the TV and the only change that I know I have made is the HDR upgrade. I am 100% sure something has improved........

Thanks for the info though.

I am planning to have my Xbox One X for next weekend the XBX is listed in those Netflix pages and will report back when I see the HDR logo. I will also pop out and get a 4k HDR Blue-ray film and test that for when the XBX is installed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast