+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New member

I'm luke.

Default New member

active on pink fish mostly and been on diy audio , now mostly into classics like the 15" Tannoys and tandberg/grundig amps from the 60's. Anything pre 1980 will interest me. I have been through many systems in my 25 years of hifi listening and have now come to the controversial conclusion that stuff made in the 60's-late 80's early 90's were better than anything available today.......... there I said it

I'm Geoff.

Hi Luke. Welcome to AOS.

Older, classic and vintage gear is popular here with many of us and with good reason. But I'm not sure that it is better than what is made today, although good comparable modern Hi-Fi is very expensive.

Tell us what equipment you are using in your everyday system and what music you listen to.

This is a friendly place and there's much going on, so take a look around and join in with the chat.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm luke.

HI Geoff thanks for the welcome

present system includes a few modern stuff but again not sure they are better than my old gear.

Tannoy Berkley Tannoy Mansfield Tannoy Windsor Tannoy Puma with various external crossovers and mods
    Grundig integrated Pye 25 monoblocks, tandberg pa200 luxman 1990's amps.
    Garrard 301 (CTC reference) EMT 938, Lab 47 Turntable/arm EMT and lab 47s own version
    cables all western electric tinned copper or Siemens klangfilm copper only version, lab 47 interconnects and various others diy
    cd roksan rok dp1 and dac, also trichord research dac also JAYS audio transport and Denfrips r2r ladder Terminator Playstation 1 audiophile version.Teac transports from the 90's.

To get to where I am now has been a long journey through very expensive and modern equipment from 2000 on wards too numerous to mention. Last speaker was Devore fidelity orangutan 0/96 tannoy prestige canterbury, Avantgarde duo audio note cabling audionote dac 5 special audio note power amps and pre,and various transports, ALlnic valve equipment, Pass labs aleph, Shahinian obelisks, Linn sondek maxed out, clearaudio ref, graham arm, Densen top of the line cd player etc etc etc too numerous to mention.

I have gathered from the forums this is a very friendly forum compared with the nasty and of ten vindictive animosity that goes on within Pink Fish and DIYaudio. WE all have our own preference for sound and as long as we have enjoyment from what we are hearing then we have the best system that is right for us. There are no rights and wrongs in any ones opinion. Black art is what it is and engineers should not think that they are above all that, they should just ponder the possibility of things existing that cannot be measured. We do not know everything there is to know in medicine same as many other scientific fields. Enjoy the music, what ever equipment that may be.

I'm Geoff.

That's a nice selection of gear you have Luke. We have a lot of Tannoy fans here. Me included.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Hi Luke

That is a fair bit of kit you have been through, and still own. You need more Tannoy's, though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Luke,

There are many of us here who are keen on using 'vintage' equipment. Would love to see some photos of your Pye 25 amps.

What are your tastes in music?

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry (another EMT user )
    Barry

I'm M.

Welcome to AOS enjoy the forum

+ Reply to Thread