+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Tannoy Berkeley

I'm frank.

I'm Geoff.

Why pay over the odds for something that does exactly the same job and needs to be sent, so you have to wait for it?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm frank.

Because it is thinner, wider and pretty much industry standard stuff and all for an extra £4. Oh and I recommend sticking it to the driver basket as I'd rather scrape old gasket from a metal basket than off a crumbly mdf/chipboard baffle.

montesquieu Guest

Interesting can't say I've ever used any gasket seems to seal pretty well just using the bolts. Should I be worried? Are my speakers broken?

Just off to order some have a severe case of audiophilia nervosa coming on.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Interesting can't say I've ever used any gasket seems to seal pretty well just using the bolts. Should I be worried? Are my speakers broken?
    It's not critical, as in a true 'acoustic suspension' sealed system. But it does prevent air leakage, which has an effect on the system tuning. A gasket also fills gaps due to minor irregularites in the baffle recess, which can be a cause of vibrations against the driver.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

I actually think I have some double sided foam tape that I bought to do a job on the car, I can leave one side with the cover on it and use the other sticky side, that's if I can find it lol

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by cooky View Post
    industry standard
    Industry standard? Audiophile grade gasket perhaps? A gasket is a gasket! once in compression they just seal. I've been refurbishing and rebuilding speakers including Tannoys and making my own speakers to a high standard for over forty years, so I do know what I'm about!

Yes. I have made good the odd crumbly chipboard baffle where a driver has glued itself in with mastic gasket. It's not a big deal.

I'm frank.

Yes industry standard, ie widely used by driver and enclosure manufacturers, no one mentioned audiophile anything, tuff cab are pro suppliers, there are a few others who make/sell similar stuff, Tannoy use it, Quested use it, JBL use it, Fane use it, Precision Devices use it, Void, Adlib, Funktion1 etc etc.Geoff, I know a bit about speaker building myself too but I'm not getting into a pissing contest over a bit of alternative advice that costs £4 but you can carry on if you wish.
    Last edited by cooky; 02-11-2017 at 01:58.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by cooky View Post
    Geoff, I know a bit about speaker building myself too but I'm not getting into a pissing contest over a bit of alternative advice that costs £4 but you can carry on if you wish.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post

Just off to order some have a severe case of audiophilia nervosa coming on.
    Yes Tom, that's exactly what i thought your speakers needed when I listened to them!!!..NOT!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast