+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Tannoy Berkeley

I'm Mike.

1 owner from new and not seen the light of day for a few years, and after the comments here I'm a bit dubious as to what condition the drivers might be in. Cabinets look mint though but I'm sure that's no indication of the condition of the cones or surrounds. If any issue at all I'll walk away as it would be too much hassle having them sent away and fixed and wouldn't be worth it in my opinion, might be better to try and find a perfect pair, but then again most of the decent high gear is always for sale 100's of miles away.

I've already arranged to go see/listen to them this morning but I think I'd have been better asking for photos of the drivers before even leaving the house.

I'm Grant.

You never know mike. Good luck
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    DENON DV2900 - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP - AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTH - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER23, SPOTIFY PREMIUM - ECHO DOT - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN's - Q ACOUSTIC BT3 actives - CANTON SUB - MAINS REGENERATED AND FILTERED.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman91 View Post
    Are these the ones mike? https://www.gumtree.com/p/speakers/t...ers/1268364186

No idea of the surrounds though as no pictures...
    Sorry, missed this post, yeah that's the ones. Pity no driver photos but I think they're worth a look anyway?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    You never know mike. Good luck
    Aye that's true enough, still worth a look. Nothing else planned today anyway

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Sorry, missed this post, yeah that's the ones. Pity no driver photos but I think they're worth a look anyway?
    They look very clean.....you never know with the drivers deffo worth a look....
    Main System
    Musical Fidelity E100 Amplifier , Musical Fidelity E50 Tuner , Pioneer PDS 505 Precision CD Player , Pioneer PDS 703 CD Player , Audio Note ANJ/D Speakers Cables Van Del Hul Speaker Cables , Linn Interconnects , Cable Talk , Cambridge Yellow Pacific ,
    Vinyl -
    Rega Planer 2 with Rega Britain Green 250 Tonearm & Upgraded Van Den Hul Oil Bearing & Ortofon Super OM-10

Second System:
    Technics - SU-C909U Pre-Amplifier & SE-A909S Power Amplifier & Technics ST-GT 1000 Tuner & Pioneer PDS 505 Precision player & Thorens TD-125 MK1 Turntable & SME 3009 Series 1 & Shure V15 Type II Cartridge & SME 2000 Plinth & Celestion A compact Speakers , Monster Speaker Cable , Cambridge Audio Atlantic Yellow Interconnects.

Spare Kit
    Quad 33/303 , Creek 6060 , NAD 3020 Original , Cambridge P40 , Linn LK85 Power Amplifier , Luxman 507X , Pioneer SA 6300

I'm John.

1 owner from new and not seen the light of day for a few years, and after the comments here I'm a bit dubious as to what condition the drivers might be in. Cabinets look mint though but I'm sure that's no indication of the condition of the cones or surrounds. If any issue at all I'll walk away as it would be too much hassle having them sent away and fixed and wouldn't be worth it in my opinion, might be better to try and find a perfect pair, but then again most of the decent high gear is always for sale 100's of miles away.

I've already arranged to go see/listen to them this morning but I think I'd have been better asking for photos of the drivers before even leaving the house.
    If the drivers haven't been done they probably will need done. Mine had a few small splits running outwards across the foam but still sounded great. If you got these for 1k and spent 500 on them you'll have a truly great pair of speakers for 1500, still a lot of money but try buying something similar new, probably about 5k. These look to be in great condition too. You can get the recone done at Tannoy Coatbridge as far as I know.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    If the drivers haven't been done they probably will need done. Mine had a few small splits running outwards across the foam but still sounded great. If you got these for 1k and spent 500 on them you'll have a truly great pair of speakers for 1500, still a lot of money but try buying something similar new, probably about 5k. These look to be in great condition too. You can get the recone done at Tannoy Coatbridge as far as I know.
    Thanks, that's good to know about Coatbridge. I'll be haggling don't worry.

I'm John.

I'll be haggling don't worry.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    a truly great pair of speakers for 1500, still a lot of money but try buying something similar new, probably about 5k
    Try doubling that or more. Even the new, small Tannoy Eaton is about five grand now. These Berkeleys are worth some effort, even if they do require a recone. The modern equivalents are monstrously expensive.
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm Geoff.

If it was me and they needed new surrounds, I'd be going this route: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-TANNOY-f...AAAOSwsE5ZluVI

A bit of practicality and common sense and it's not too difficult a job. I've done it .
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast