+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Tannoy Berkeley

I'm Hugo.

Here are my recently procured Berkeleys. The first picture shows them after I'd cleaned up the grubby cabinets, but before tackling the grilles. The second picture shows what a bit of upholstery cleaner and a warm wash in the shower does for the grille fabric. The drivers had new foam surrounds fitted by Lockwoods a few years ago, and look absolutely fine, with no sagging. I'm going to clean the crossover switches and replace the spring terminals on the back panel, and that will do for now.

I'm Mike.

Those look very nice Hugo, I can see the difference with your surrounds compared to mine, just a pity I didn't know before I paid for mine, pretty sure I'd have gotten something off them

I'm Mike.

Well the drivers are out and on their way to Lockwood Audio as of 20 minutes ago.

Here's how they looked when I removed them this morning.

I'm Colin.

Amazing I recall seeing a pair in about 1974, Mike you are making me feel so old.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wonfor View Post
    Amazing I recall seeing a pair in about 1974, Mike you are making me feel so old.
    Oops lol, you're not the only one, it was around 1975 that I got my first real stereo, Garrard SP 25 Turntable, Sansui AU2200 amp and Solavox TK20 speakers, I still have the speakers

All bought from Comet in Dundee

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Oops lol, you're not the only one, it was around 1975 that I got my first real stereo, Garrard SP 25 Turntable, Sansui AU2200 amp and Solavox TK20 speakers, I still have the speakers

All bought from Comet in Dundee
    Blimey! Solavox speakers. They were what one bought if extremely broke!

They weren't too bad really, some featured Wharfedale drive units.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Blimey! Solavox speakers. They were what one bought if extremely broke!

They weren't too bad really, some featured Wharfedale drive units.
    Only 14 at the time and the only pocket money I earned was from the Game Dealer for rabbits, pigeons and for helping my dad with 'beating' at the weekend on the shoots for rich American oilmen from Aberdeen.

Plus there weren't many HiFi shops in Fife that I could afford to shop in at that time, hence the buys from Comet

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Only 14 at the time and the only pocket money I earned was from the Game Dealer for rabbits, pigeons and for helping my dad with 'beating' at the weekend on the shoots for rich American oilmen from Aberdeen.

Plus there weren't many HiFi shops in Fife that I could afford to shop in at that time, hence the buys from Comet
    used to shop in Comet's big shop in Edinburgh... well, warehouse
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Hugo.

I’ve been listening to my Berkeleys (via some proper modern Naim amplification) before they go off to a friend’s trendy mid-century furniture shop. There is definitely something magical about them - they definitely lack the resolution and clarity of the LS50s but that is forgiven because of their effortless way with real ‘music’. These are definitely speakers to live with and to enjoy, not to critique; their omissions are entirely pleasant and liveable.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    I’ve been listening to my Berkeleys (via some proper modern Naim amplification) before they go off to a friend’s trendy mid-century furniture shop. There is definitely something magical about them - they definitely lack the resolution and clarity of the LS50s but that is forgiven because of their effortless way with real ‘music’. These are definitely speakers to live with and to enjoy, not to critique; their omissions are entirely pleasant and liveable.
    I would agree with that, they just seem to be right for me, really meaty, full sound but also allow to hear the delicate parts too, certainly not as clinical as my PMC 21 standmounts which is expected, they just seem to produce music effortlessly, they ain't leaving here anytime soon. I love them, can't wait to get the drivers back and run in.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast