+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Tannoy Berkeley

I'm Paul.

In case you feel the need to spend a bit more money, I found the imaging of the Berkeleys really improved once I removed the plinths and put them on 8" stands.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hermit View Post
    In case you feel the need to spend a bit more money, I found the imaging of the Berkeleys really improved once I removed the plinths and put them on 8" stands.

Not surprised at the imaging improvement .. tweeters at ear height is the secret.

I'm Geoff.

For my Cheviots, I made 9" MDF stands that the plinths slide down into. Saves tinkering with the speakers and work just fine.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Paul.

I had my 12” hpd s done a few years ago. New cones and the rubber surrounds.

They sounded ok on return but definitely improved over time.

Get them off the ground though, even a couple of breeze blocks will help - best improvement you’ll make

My stands are black painted MDF.
    SBT/Chromecast/TEAC T1 into TEAC D-T1 DAC or olde-worlde Rega Planar 2 controlled by Rotel RC850 into HH S500D or DACT Passive Pre into Mullard 5-20 monos. Then into Tannoy Cheviots and a Wharfdale sub. All connected by colourful cables.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by pgarrish View Post
    I had my 12” hpd s done a few years ago
    What HPD's Paul? Those aren't HPD's and they don't have rubber surrounds.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Paul.

315s? 12” hpds in Cheviot cabs. they have the hard (is it not rubber?) surrounds in place of the perished foam
    SBT/Chromecast/TEAC T1 into TEAC D-T1 DAC or olde-worlde Rega Planar 2 controlled by Rotel RC850 into HH S500D or DACT Passive Pre into Mullard 5-20 monos. Then into Tannoy Cheviots and a Wharfdale sub. All connected by colourful cables.

I'm Geoff.

They are not HPDs.

These are the Cheviots with HPD 315 drivers. You'll notice that the driver frames are round, they also have Alnico magnets. Yours are what is known as 'quartic' frames, meaning that you have the MK.II Cheviot. Housing the ceramic magnet 3128 drive units.

The good news, is that to me at least, these sound better than the HPDs. I own a pair and they are amongst the best Tannoys I've ever heard and I've heard near enough all the vintage classics.

The replacement cones in yours appear to have integral surrounds formed from the edge of the cone paper being corrugated and then coated.

I'm Paul.

Cheers Geoff. They had foam surrounds when I got them but when we went to put the drivers back in the cabs after replacing the wadding and the x-overs, all the foam fell out

Here’s the only close up I have

They sound bloody good either way

I'm Geoff.

That's how mine looked until I replaced the surrounds.

I'm Mike.

While I wait for the drivers to return I have my PMC 21's sitting on top of the Berkeley cabs and they are sounding great, ok they're a bit high for ideal tweeter height but I'm still impressed with these little standmounts.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast