+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tannoy Berkeley

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Definitely worth a look.

Check the cone surrounds, if they have splits or show any sagging then factor in the cost of reconing. Probably getting on for £500 from Lockwood these days. If they have never been done, no doubt they will need it soon. (I do my own repairs, but most wouldn't take it on)

The crossovers might need recapping. Paul at RFC can help with this.

The cabinets can be improved with a bit of sensible added internal bracing.

Don't let the above put you off 'cos it sounds like hassle. It's worth doing. A good pair of Berkeleys can sound spectacular and they are an investment, as values have been rising steadily for years.
    I have very similar Lockwood Academy with the same HPD 385 drivers and have to agree with Geoff. A full recone at Lockwood was £380 two years ago. The scale of sound should blow your mind, it's like having someone actually singing in your room, not a pair of speakers. Bass is surprisingly tight, not overblown at all. They will show any difficiencies upstream, so can sound either fantastic or just ok if fed from lesser equipment. They just get better and better with equipment upgrades.
    The internal cabling and plug into the driver were pretty poor in mine. I rewired with simple tinned copper wire and gold plated plugs from mainlytannoy on eBay. I find the tinned copper wire the best for speaker cable too. They have a natural tone rather than a brightly lit "hifi" sound.
    Hope that helps.
    Last edited by JohnJo; 30-09-2017 at 19:38.

+ Reply to Thread