+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Tannoy Berkeley

I'm Geoff.

Yes. Tannoy dual concentrics are not really difficult to work on. It just requires a bit of patience, care and practicality. I have a cone substitution to take on, converting a pair of 2528 drivers (Ascot etc.) to SRM 10B spec. I'm rather disorganised and take a while to get around to projects though!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    You can get the recone done at Tannoy Coatbridge as far as I know.
    Unfortunately they've move that side of the business to Kidderminster

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Kidderminster isn't far from me, Mike (about an hour or so away). Could you get down to Glasgow with them?

If you were willing to meet me in Glasgow, with the Berkleys, next time I'm up visiting friends, which is likely to be in the next month or so (defo before Xmas), I could take them safely down to Tannoy's premises in Kidderminster, to get them refurbished, and bring them back up safely when they're ready?

Nae bother to me; in fact as a Tannoy user and fan myself, I'd enjoy visiting their premises and seeing the results of the finished articles, so just let me know if you fancy it!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

That's a nice offer Marco.

Great idea for Mike to get the speakers to optimum condition. With the super cabinet condition, they'd be like new afterwards.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm sorted.

They look good Mike. Have the drivers been removed before? I only ask as there appear to be some bolts missing.

I'm Geoff.

That's a point. They should be Allen bolts too. Not hex head.

I'm Geoff.

Just been Googling pictures. Some Berkeleys have only four mounting holes in the chassis, others eight, but all seem to use four bolts, and they are hex head. Seems my recollection was defective.

I'm sorted.

Ditto

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Just been Googling pictures. Some Berkeleys have only four mounting holes in the chassis, others eight, but all seem to use four bolts, and they are hex head. Seems my recollection was defective.
    The pair that I've bought have four hex head bolts per drive unit.

I'm John.

I *think* the earlier 15" HPDs were 8 hole chassis like the monitor golds and the later ones were 4 hole mounting. Mine have a Feb. 1980 date under the dust cover on the rear of the driver and are 4 hole. The surrounds on Mike's look very similar to what was on mine which showed evidence of having been worked on before so maybe the original surrounds were changed in the 90s and are now due for replacement again. I suppose you could ask the owner if they were ever done Mike. 40 odd years seems a long time for foam surrounds to last but I'm not very knowledgeable about these things!

Photo of mine

[IMG][/IMG]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast