+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tannoy Berkeley

I'm Mike.

Default Tannoy Berkeley

Berkeley MK1 - worth checking out or not? I've finally persuaded The Boss the we 'need' better/bigger speakers in our living room. I'm limited by what I can see or hear locally and there is a pair that I can go see but probably not hear tomorrow, although I could take an amp and use my phone to play something through them to make sure they're fine.

Or is there something else similar I should look at instead. The Boss has said the size and look of the Berkeleys is fine so any alternative would not need to be much bigger

I've read most of the posts on here and other forums and the general consensus seems to be that the 15" drivers need a bigger cabinet, but very little in the way of actual sound quality or reviews.

For reference they are 33"x"21x12"

Thoughts anyone?
    Last edited by mikeyb; 30-09-2017 at 16:04.

I'm Grant.

Eatons are highly rated
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Eatons are highly rated
    Ta, I'll go have a read

montesquieu Guest

It;s my opinion not from ownership but from observation (I stand to be corrected if anyone has measurements kicking around) that the HPD in the Berkley is capable of far better performance than the 15in Gold in the earlier equivalent cabinet (Lancaster) mainly because their bass response is better anyway.

So it's far from a bad option, whereas the Lancaster cabinets will pretty much always disappoint to some extent. (Indeed they sound better with 12in Golds than with the far more common 15in Golds). Lancaster cabs do need replacing with GRF cabs, Lockwoods, or some other option.

So if you can get the Berkleys for sensible dosh (and I'd hesitate to say what that is these days? £1500?) then go ahead. You might want to have new cabs built later but it won't be essential immediately. I wouldn't put them in a small room though.

I'm Hugo.

Coincidentally, I’ve just bought a pair of Mk1 Berkeleys, with relatively recent Lockwood replacement cone surrounds, to go in a friend’s trendy mid-century modern furniture shop as part of a vintage but stylish system. They do sound quite decent and will look lovely once I’ve cleaned up and re-invigorated the slightly grubby veneer with some Danish oil.

The Berkeleys are about the same size as the Lancasters that I once bought with 15” Monitor Gold drivers, but clearly the HPD drivers are a much better match for the modest size (and in this case reflex ported) cabinets.

Art Dudley keeps a pair of Berkeleys as a long term reference, which is a pretty good recommendation. I was pleased to find out that the driver magnets are Alnico.
    Last edited by Ammonite Audio; 30-09-2017 at 17:00.

I'm Geoff.

Definitely worth a look.

Check the cone surrounds, if they have splits or show any sagging then factor in the cost of reconing. Probably getting on for £500 from Lockwood these days. If they have never been done, no doubt they will need it soon. (I do my own repairs, but most wouldn't take it on)

The crossovers might need recapping. Paul at RFC can help with this.

The cabinets can be improved with a bit of sensible added internal bracing.

Don't let the above put you off 'cos it sounds like hassle. It's worth doing. A good pair of Berkeleys can sound spectacular and they are an investment, as values have been rising steadily for years.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    A good pair of Berkeleys can sound spectacular and they are an investment, as values have been rising steadily for years.
    I’m not sure if that’s strictly accurate. I did a brief search of ‘sold’ prices on eBay before settling on a price for my Berkeleys, and concluded that the going rate was rather higher a few years ago.

I'm Mike.

Thanks for all the info everyone, I'll arrange to go and see them tomorrow. I'll check all the relevant parts etc.

Will hopefully update tomorrow

I'm Dan.

Are these the ones mike? https://www.gumtree.com/p/speakers/t...ers/1268364186

No idea of the surrounds though as no pictures...
    Receiver
    Marantz 2225
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Turntable
    KAM DDX 1000 with Goldring G800 Cartridge
    Loudspeakers
    Mordaunt Short M10

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Definitely worth a look.

Check the cone surrounds, if they have splits or show any sagging then factor in the cost of reconing. Probably getting on for £500 from Lockwood these days. If they have never been done, no doubt they will need it soon. (I do my own repairs, but most wouldn't take it on)

The crossovers might need recapping. Paul at RFC can help with this.

The cabinets can be improved with a bit of sensible added internal bracing.

Don't let the above put you off 'cos it sounds like hassle. It's worth doing. A good pair of Berkeleys can sound spectacular and they are an investment, as values have been rising steadily for years.
    I have very similar Lockwood Academy with the same HPD 385 drivers and have to agree with Geoff. A full recone at Lockwood was £380 two years ago. The scale of sound should blow your mind, it's like having someone actually singing in your room, not a pair of speakers. Bass is surprisingly tight, not overblown at all. They will show any difficiencies upstream, so can sound either fantastic or just ok if fed from lesser equipment. They just get better and better with equipment upgrades.
    The internal cabling and plug into the driver were pretty poor in mine. I rewired with simple tinned copper wire and gold plated plugs from mainlytannoy on eBay. I find the tinned copper wire the best for speaker cable too. They have a natural tone rather than a brightly lit "hifi" sound.
    Hope that helps.
    Last edited by JohnJo; 30-09-2017 at 19:38.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast