Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm David.

Default System pics 1974 (yes, really)

Couple of pics of my first independent hi-fi system on my blog at:
    https://digitalprakel.wordpress.com/...ies-nostalgia/
    David

I'm Hugh.

Nice system David. I had a very similar one at the time. Cambridge P110/T55, LP12/SME3009/V15III feeding my ALS40s.

I had much more solid stands though. I can't imagine that IMF would have advised those weedy things.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by narabdela View Post
    Nice system David. I had a very similar one at the time. Cambridge P110/T55, LP12/SME3009/V15III feeding my ALS40s.

I had much more solid stands though. I can't imagine that IMF would have advised those weedy things.
    The stands came at the recommendation of Harmann Audio in Manchester - I think you had a better amp for the rather odd bass of the ALS40s in the P110 - didn't it run hot?
    DGP

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by DGP View Post
    The stands came at the recommendation of Harmann Audio in Manchester - I think you had a better amp for the rather odd bass of the ALS40s in the P110 - didn't it run hot?
    DGP
    It did. You just had to be careful where you put your fingers.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by narabdela View Post
    You just had to be careful where you put your fingers.
    Ah. I had a girlfriend like that too.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Wonderful - a real trip down memory lane.

I still use a Thorens TD124/II /SME combination and have a Cambridge P50 integrated amp with the T55 tuner in my collection.

I remember your system being featured in Hi-Fi Answers. From memory you were using a Radford STA amp and a Decca cartridge at the time. Oh and Stax electrostatic headphones.
    Last edited by Barry; 30-09-2017 at 16:01. Reason: Addition
    Barry

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Wonderful - a real trip down memory lane.

I still use a Thorens TD124/II /SME combination and have a Cambridge P50 integrated amp with the T55 tuner in my collection.

I remember your system being featured in Hi-Fi Answers. From memory you were using Radford STA amp and a Decca cartridge at the time.
    Once I got to London in 1976 things went mad on the hi-fi front after meeting various folk who shopped through Hampstead Hi-Fi - I sold my Yamaha and bought a Radford pre/power/tuner that had been traded in at HH. The Decca I originally used in a damped SME III which sounded OK. I'd already traded the IMFs for a pair of Gale GS401s

I had a TD124 with a 12inch SME on a big black Perspex armboard for a very short while which I sold to a clutch of Japanese enthusiasts who visited me, spoke little English but who appeared to be sharing the cost and turntable.
    This was in the black plain plinth Linn (Serial 17???) that was stolen through my bedroom window from my flat in London along with cameras etc. Hope they got Silicone fluid over everything! The police recokoned they left the Gales as no one in their right mind would think they were loudspeakers (almost direct quote!).

I put a Syrinx on the replacement Linn and a Decca Gold worked great in that but the combination was far too temperamental and I ended up with the Ittok Asak I used until I went Fidelity Research arm and cart and then Koetsu - just sold the Linn, arm and cartridge.

I really like the Cambridge aesthetic even today.
    DGP

I'm Steven.

That’s far too neat and tidy for student digs. All classical? The only one I can identify is this. Haven’t listened to it in ages. Great players, instruments, location. Will give it a spin now.

image.jpg
    Last edited by SLS; 06-10-2017 at 22:34.
    Wilson, Devialet, Innuos, Puritan, Claro

I'm David.

Ah - I married at the end of my third year and this was married quarters. I'd off-loaded a lot of prog rock vinyl but the left end of the record rack had some real odds and ends - Tonto's Expanding Head Band courtesy of my other half, Burt Alcantara's Zygoat (early synth) a lot of Pete Atkin/Clive James, Strawbs, Caravan, Steely Dan etc. The classical stuff was eclectic but had been padded out by our best man who insisted we had decent recording of important classical works like Brahms 4th, late Mozart symphonies, Beethoven 3rd/9th - my first classical LPs were Dances from Terpsichore, Bruckner 9th, Rite of Spring, Prokofiev 5th, Telemann Recorder Sonatas and Sadler's Wells Wagner (forerunner of the great ENO cycle). Glad the L'Estro Armonico was identifiable! Wish I could read all the spines.
    DGP
    Quote Originally Posted by SLS View Post
    That’s far too neat and tidy for student digs. All classical? The only one I can identify is this. Haven’t listened to it in ages. Great players, instruments, location. Will give it a spin now.

image.jpg

I'm Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by DGP View Post
    Ah - I married at the end of my third year and this was married quarters. I'd off-loaded a lot of prog rock vinyl but the left end of the record rack had some real odds and ends - Tonto's Expanding Head Band courtesy of my other half, Burt Alcantara's Zygoat (early synth) a lot of Pete Atkin/Clive James, Strawbs, Caravan, Steely Dan etc. The classical stuff was eclectic but had been padded out by our best man who insisted we had decent recording of important classical works like Brahms 4th, late Mozart symphonies, Beethoven 3rd/9th - my first classical LPs were Dances from Terpsichore, Bruckner 9th, Rite of Spring, Prokofiev 5th, Telemann Recorder Sonatas and Sadler's Wells Wagner (forerunner of the great ENO cycle). Glad the L'Estro Armonico was identifiable! Wish I could read all the spines.
    DGP
    Your best man had education but your other half had taste! I’m surprised she didn’t have Silver Apples of the Moon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wilson, Devialet, Innuos, Puritan, Claro

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast