+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted Bias Meter for valve amplifier

I'm Malcolm.

Default Wanted Bias Meter for valve amplifier

Looking for a Bias meter for a valve amplifier to adjust and set when required

have looked at a decent multi-meter (Fluke) but seem overkill for this. Also considered the cheapo Chinese metres but advised they can be unreliable and inaccurate

Suggestions and offers appreciated

I'm Jez.

There's no such thing as such. One of those cheapo Chinese multimeters is way more than good enough for your needs. 5 should do it.

I'm Malcolm.

Thank Jez
    I looked at the ones sold by Srewfix for example but lots of site reviews say how poor/useless they are

Any brand or model you could recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    There's no such thing as such. One of those cheapo Chinese multimeters is way more than good enough for your needs. 5 should do it.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaton Mess View Post
    Thank Jez
    I looked at the ones sold by Srewfix for example but lots of site reviews say how poor/useless they are

Any brand or model you could recommend?
    Screwfix ones will be fine and probably 10 x better than needed for this....

I'm Lawrence.

After a bit of research I went with this model, might be cheaper if you dig around.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162403507156

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

I'm Jez.

Fine but massively better than needed for setting bias!

I'm Martin.

A half decent multi meter is always a useful tool to have around the tool box
    Tangerine LP12,Naim Aro, Benz Wood
    Audiomeca Kreatura & Elixir Dac,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP100 MC
    SiriuS D100
    Quad FM4,RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    HSM with re capped Mundorf Supreme and Atlas rewire

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Exclamation *** Cheapo Chinese multi-meters... WARNING, BUYER BEWARE!!!!! ***

F.A.O Malcolm (the OP) and all other members,

I have it on good authority from another one of our members, who is also a qualified electrical engineer, but who doesn't wish to be named on the thread, that these cheap unbranded multi-meters are dangerous, as he has had experience with them and has seen the evidence for himself of how dangerous they can be!!

The danger is that if the OP, or anyone else decides to test mains voltage with it, then there could be a major Arc Flash incident, resulting in possible burns and eye damage, due to UV radiation generated. Apparently these metres have been subject to no CE testing or approval, and that any indication to the contrary, it is liable to be fake!

I cannot comment, as I've never used one. I'm simply passing on a message from someone who's knowledge and experience I trust. Therefore, PLEASE CONSIDER THE ABOVE WARNING VERY CAREFULLY before thinking about buying one of these items.

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

I'm Alan.

It's a timely reminder Marco, as my experience with Chinese goods shows that the CE mark means absolutely zilch.

It is applied for marketing purposes only, there are many glaring non conformities with lots (not all) of Chinese kit.

I'm Oliver.

Mine is probably the most dangerous one ever made lol good job I only use it to check for continuity

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 tonearm > ZYX R50 Bloom cartridge > Jolida JD9 MKII > Firebottle Monoblocks > Creek OBH-11SE Headphone Amp > IXOS Speaker Cables > Pioneer CS-77A Speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast