View Poll Results: Forum 'Measures of Success' ranking - read the OP and choose your top five please

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Number of members

9 27.27%
  • Number of posts

7 21.21%
  • Ratio of number of members to the number of posts

8 24.24%
  • Quality of posts

31 93.94%
  • Number of returning visitors

22 66.67%
  • Search engine results

5 15.15%
  • Advertising revenue

2 6.06%
  • Variety of content

19 57.58%
  • Amount of advice given by you personally

4 12.12%
  • Increase in your personal knowledge

27 81.82%
  • Conversion to 'the cause'

4 12.12%
  • Low number of management interventions

8 24.24%
  • Something not on this list (please post your thoughts)

3 9.09%
  • A friendly environment

21 63.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Measures of Success

I'm ChrisB.

Default Measures of Success

I'm not convinced this is the correct place to put this, as it's neither Feedback or a Suggestion, but as it concerns the forum, this is where I'm stickin' it! No doubt if I got it wrong someone will stick it where it belongs - maybe even the deleted dustbin, I don't know.

Anyway - Measures of Success

Prompted by Barry's observation that the AoS member head count is approaching a landmark figure, I was thinking about how difficult it must be to measure the success of a thing like an internet forum.
    So I'm interested about how the various members of the team view this.

Obviously a measure of success can only be defined if you are clear in your own mind about what your goals are and, depending upon those goals, I suppose each owner and member of the management team will have different measures of success.

Bearing that in mind there will be a different perspective from everyone concerned can I ask that those members of the team who're sufficiently motivated might help me understand what your own personal measures of the success of AoS are. Also, if they differ from their own personal view, could Steve & Marco tell me what the AoS 'corporate' measures of success are.

Personally, I think it would be naïve to settle on a single factor to measure this nebulous thing that is success, so I've listed some of the things that I would expect to take into account were I asked to define this. Can you give each a score out of 10 for me or number them in order of importance to you?

1. Number of Members
    2. No. of Posts
    3. The ratio of number of members to the number of posts (ie: is the bulk of the traffic caused by a low number of highly active members or not?)
    4. Quality of posts (Purely subjective but everyone will have their own view on this)
    5. Returning visitors - members who stay for more than x no. of visits/weeks/months
    6. Search engine results
    7. Advertising revenue
    8. Variety of content
    9. Amount of advice given by you personally
    10. Increase in your personal knowledge
    11. Conversion to 'the cause' – whatever that might be (if indeed one exists in your mind)
    12. Low number of management interventions - bans / warnings / post removals or edits etc
    13. Something I haven't considered – if so, what might that be?

……….alternatively, you could tell me to mind my own bleedin' business.
    Last edited by The Grand Wazoo; 09-02-2010 at 10:50.

I'm ILOB.

Chris your views are always welcomed
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm ChrisB.

Thanks John.
    Can't help being curious. Sometimes though, curiousity can be construed as tinkering.
    I was once described as 'a bit of a thinker' and not in a complimentary way!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Chris,

This is just a quickie, as I'm in the middle of work at the moment

Personally, I think it would be naïve to settle on a single factor to measure this nebulous thing that is success, so I've listed some of the things that I would expect to take into account were I asked to define this. Can you give each a score out of 10 for me or number them in order of importance to you?
    From your list, in order of importance (for me):

[*]Returning visitors - members who stay for more than x no. of visits/weeks/months
    [*]Quality of posts (Purely subjective but everyone will have their own view on this)
    [*]Variety of content
    [*]Increase in your personal knowledge
    [*]Number of Members
    [*]No. of Posts
    [*]Low number of management interventions - bans / warnings / post removals or edits etc
    [*]Search engine results
    [*]Conversion to 'the cause' – whatever that might be (if indeed one exists in your mind) - *note*: 'convert' isn't really the right word.
    [*]The ratio of number of members to the number of posts (ie: is the bulk of the traffic caused by a low number of highly active members or not?)
    [*]Advertising revenue
    [*]Amount of advice given by you personally

There ya go!

[*]Something I haven't considered – if so, what might that be?
    I'll get to that one if I have time later

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Chris and I have had a chat about this thread, and to make it a little easier we'll move it over to a poll. If people vote for their top five points (out of the thirteen) then we'll get a picture over time of the rankings for each of the points Chris has made.

Top stuff.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Obviously the admin/mod votes will be slightly different in nature to user votes, but it'll be nice to see how the two cross over in importance. We'll leave it open indefinitely so we can see the change over the months / years. I'll stick it to the top too.

Great idea for a thread Chris! I'm itching to see the results!

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

#14 - A friendly environment, where we can virtually enjoy the company of others interested in audio & music

OK, very subjective and hard to measure, but it's what keeps me coming back...

I'll do the poll now...
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm ChrisB.

Alex,
    I was going to put something to that effect.......oops it looks like I forgot.

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Alex,
    I was going to put something to that effect.......oops it looks like I forgot.
    Looks like it's there to me...
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm ChrisB.

ahem, so it is.............I wonder how?................must be to do with yer telepathicals or summink

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast