+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Room correction

I'm James.

Default Room correction

Do amps with so called Room Correction really work?
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Richie.

Not correction within an amp, but I have just bought a mike and am using the trial version of Dirac. I need to do a few more of the measurements to make sure I am doing it right (I am complete novice...).

When I apply the filter and listen to tunes, I feel like I can't tell the diff between the filter on and off, however, there have been several times this week when I have had a "fuck me, that sounds good" moment. I sef need more playing and more listening.

My speakers are close to the walls on three sides (hence the trial) and the measurements showed a real lack of low bass, then a massive spike at around 50hz.

Not much help, sorry, just interested in the conversation.

I'm Graham.

I use Dirac,my room before and after.Attachment 21487 red line is the default target,this can be adjusted,blue is my room measurement,green is after filter is applied,works a treat for me.
    Analogue. Basis signature 2200,Basis Vector 4.Koetsu Red,Koetsu SUT,NVO SPA 11.
    Digital. Denon 2900,Jolida FX 11
    Amp. Pathos Logos,Minidsp dirac 22A.
    Speakers. Amphion Xenon.
    Airlink CBS 2000 bps

I'm Chris.

I'm now using a Minisdsp DDRC-22D which has Dirac live and it has made a huge improvement to the sound.

Incredibly easy to use and does all the calculations for you.

I'm Richie.

Quote Originally Posted by GJO View Post
    I use Dirac,my room before and after.Attachment 21487 red line is the default target,this can be adjusted,blue is my room measurement,green is after filter is applied,works a treat for me.
    Hi Graham. I remember you having a switch before your unit, because it could only take one input at a time. Is that the case with all of the ddrc units? Can they be used as a stand alone pre?

I mean, is there any point using a pre and a dac with one of these, or do I just keep my phono stage and an optical lead from the mac, as they are my only sources?

I'm Graham.

I have the 22A,as I need 2 analogue inputs rather than faff about swapping leads I use a switch box for convenience. https://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series there are 3 different versions,in your situation it might be best to go for a 22DA and use a ADC for the TT.
    Speakers. Amphion Xenon.
    Airlink CBS 2000 bps

I'm Matt.

Having played with Dirac a fair bit, my opinion is that yes, it can help with room frequency issues such as bass boom or treble suck out.
    The possible drawback is that unless it is used quite judiciously, it can kill the life in the music & sound boring.
    Whilst it’s easy to use, rather than start out trying to match the target ideal frequency line, I would be looking at splitting the difference of big differences between the actual & target lines.
    The bass end tends to be the most common area of imbalances, so concentrate on that first.

I'm Graham.

I have had quite extensive listening sessions in 3 systems,2 vinyl and 1 PC based before and after using Dirac.All 3 room layouts are totally different ref construction and furniture layouts and of course equipment.
    We have all made numerous different filters by changing the default target,over 20 in my case,we have all come to the conclusion that the default works best for us,it does not kill the life or sound boring,quite the opposite in fact.
    Speakers. Amphion Xenon.
    Airlink CBS 2000 bps

+ Reply to Thread