+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The old Rega to Technics upgrade.

I'm Derek.

Default The old Rega to Technics upgrade.

Hi all,

You've heard it all before I'm sure but I have an old Planar 3 with AO rewired RB300 + DV10x5 and I'm thinking about upgrading to a modded SL1210.

I've been busy absorbing the wealth of knowledge in the Techiepedia and for the most part the majority of my questions have been answered (thanks everyone).

My first port of call is to get a 2nd-hand unit and install the arm/cart. Is an sl12010 with rewired RB300 and DV10x5 a good combo or is this likely to put me off? Has anyone heard this or similar setups? I've seen off-the-shelf upgrades with SME or Michell Tecnoarm - are these somehow preferable?

Am I right in thinking that all I need is an OL rega armboard to accomodate this? Is there anything else I should consider? for VTA adjustment, etc.

Excuse the newbie question but what improvements/differences can I expect by just changing the arm/cart? Am I expecting too much from this upgrade?

May or may not be relevant but I currently use olive+chrome-bumper Naim amplification and listen to Rock/Metal/Punk/Krautrock/Indie/Jazz and a small amount of electronic.

Cheers.
    Last edited by deek; 29-09-2017 at 15:30.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by deek View Post
    Hi all,

You've heard it all before I'm sure but I have an old Planar 3 with AO rewired RB300 + DV10x5 and I'm thinking about upgrading to a modded SL1210.

I've been busy absorbing the wealth of knowledge in the Techiepedia and for the most part the majority of my questions have been answered (thanks everyone).

My first port of call is to get a 2nd-hand unit and install the arm/cart. Is an sl12010 with rewired RB300 and DV10x5 a good combo or is this likely to put me off? Has anyone heard this or similar setups? I've seen off-the-shelf upgrades with SME or Michell Tecnoarm - are these somehow preferable?

Am I right in thinking that all I need is an OL rega armboard to accomodate this? Is there anything else I should consider? for VTA adjustment, etc.

Excuse the newbie question but what improvements/differences can I expect by just changing the arm/cart? Am I expecting to much from this upgrade?

May or may not be relevant but I currently use olive+chrome-bumper Naim amplification and listen to Rock/Metal/Punk/Krautrock/Indie/Jazz and a small amount of electronic.

Cheers.
    Everyone's mileage varies on this but I think the Rega RB300 is a reasonably good match on the Technics, and yes an OL armboard and OL VTA adjuster is all that is required. Others will suggest the Jelco 750d and that works well too. Tried both and think both are good, and as you have the RB300 its a good start.
    Regards Neil

I'm Martin.

Rich B stuck a Rega arm on his and it sounded excellent, but can't recall if he used an RB300 or an RB250. It works, anyway, I can vouch for that.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Peter.

Deek, If you read my posts on slight wow from old Rega Planar 3/RB300 arm I decided not to throw more money at it and retire it but try a direct drive deck. I ended up with the budget end of decks with an Audio Technica AT LP5 including the AT95XE cartridge. The sound is every bit as good as the Rega on a blind test but no more wow and absolutely silent. I up graded the cart to a Nagaoka MB100, as in my opinion the arm can handle it, and it does. What Hi Fi said it was outstanding for the money and you would have to spend significantly more to get better. Audio Technica got this one right and I have no intention of fitting after market up grades, not worth it. to describe this deck's performance is simple, it plays records with authority.

Its hooked up to an integrated Mitchel and Johnson amp, good old 79 strand speaker cable and a pair of B&W book shelf speakers. I keep the original AT95XE in a spare head shell., so nothing special but it fills my living room with nice music. I wish you success in your project, I think the stigma of direct drive is no longer valid

I'm phil.

i still use a audio origami modded rb300 which i still find very musical i prefer it to sme 4, i did use it with a dv karat 17d2 which was very good combination,try the ian mac bearing next,
    Modded td160 super Thorens ol encounter arm hana sl cart, angle audio studio pro mc virtual battery phono amp with separate psi, Onix pre and mono amps, Onix CD player, Onix BWD and soap tuner. B&W dm2 speakers or super pencil 12 speakers, atlas cables, seperate mains power supply with earth spike.

I'm Derek.

Thanks everyone. I'm keeping my eye on the usual places for a decent example. I could be very tempted by an already modded 1210 but these don't seem to come up (perhaps for good reason) and it would be foolish to not use what I already have.

Homespun, I've been following your thread as it's quite similar to mine but didn't want to hijack it. Thanks for your reply, I will take a look at the AT (although I know deep down that the 1210 scratch needs itched).

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

If the Rega can't be fitted on its wall shelf, and the motor is suspended rather than the later fixed version (now in 24V guise), I'd probably flog it and look for a modern replacement - apparently a new Planar 2 will outperform an old Planar 3/RB300 as everything's been refined and the arm is claimed to be better anyway. Trouble is, 'proper' decks really start at a grand and go higher these days

Not everyone will find this, but my thoughts on the old RB arms is that it's so easy to get them to sound musically bland and rather 'muted' in tone and 'feel.' Metal armboards aren't always best ime with these arms and possibly a techie with one of speedy-Steve's wooden jobbies may be better.

Finally, you're stuck with a 10XV - now very silly money to buy new and rather too 'safe' sounding for me, like a DL110 which it really competes with in my experience and used to when they basically cost the same when the V was an almost identical IV - only the mounting plate was altered I was told and this to re-negotiate manufacturing and hence retail prices... Not sure your existing deck wouldn't sound far better with an AT-F7 as the previous F5 worked so brilliantly in an RB300, one taming the other so well I thought. The F7 will need an MC input though.

Such a shame the sub £1k turntable market is stuck with the same old options. A stock techie is different but maybe not really 'better' than a modern Rega 3, but you may find that one excels where the other lags - the *modern* Rega perhaps, has the better arm and tonal/musical setup, but the Techie has proper pitch stability and runs at precisely the right speed while adding a certain sense of 'drive' to the sound...

Good luck. May be a good idea to save harder and change the entire thing for the next level up? In the meantime, tighten the tonearm fixing nut carefully as well as the main bearing nut, replace the mat if it's old and going fluffy and probably belt too if it's had a thousand or so hours of use. These decks really sound best on their wall bracket, as the bass is so much better I always thought.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Derek.

Thanks DSJR. My planar is the old one with an elastic band 'securing' the motor. It is on a dedicated wall shelf, I can dance and pogo right next to the deck and it doesn't get upset one bit. It really does sound decent and musically involving but just a bit light at times (and the obvious speed issues). You're right about the cart, I use an MC stage, I tried MM but the music was lifeless.

I've no problem with changing the entire thing A while back I thought the next step was an LP12 and even investigated this but this past month I'm not so sure. What do you suggest is the next level up? I started out looking Timestep's offerings but then wondered about the rega arm.

I'm Richie.

Im thinking about shifting my modded 1210. I'll pm you.

I'm Peter.

Deek, if you have set your heart on some like the SL1210, then go for it. I went over to direct drive in trepidation, unknown territory if you like, but i'm glad I did

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast