+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The old Rega to Technics upgrade.

I'm Jeff.

I'm actually thinking of selling my modded SL1210 MK2

As I've been saying in another thread, I use my Rega Dac and laptop so much these days that I hardly ever play records.

It's got most of the mods done; Rewired tone arm, Kab tone arm damper, Isonone feet, MCRU two stage power supply, Ortofon concorde cartridge with a stylus 30. Ian Mac bearing.

The deck itself is mint, the previous owner had bought it new and hardly ever used it.

I've also got an LFD Audio MMO phono stage which I can very highly recommend. Sounds even better than the built in Rega phono stage (on an Elex R I mean).
    Technics Sl1210 mk2. MCRU Linear Power Supply Step 2, Funk Firm Achromat, Isonoe Isolation Feet, Kab Tone Arm Damper, Kab arm rewiring kit, Kab Litz RCA wiring, Ortofon Concorde DJ S with Stylus 30, IanMac bearing.
    LFD MMO Phono Stage. Rega Elex-R Integrated Amp.Rega RS7 Speakers, TNT FFRC Speaker Cable. Nessie Vinyl Master RCM ( to take the misery out of record cleaning )
    Rega Dac.

I'm Derek.

Cheers for all your replies/PMs, I'm undecided how to proceed right now so will do nothing until I do have an idea, I don't wish to waste anyones time.

I think DSJR made a good point about moving to the next level up (I read this as meaning a proper upgrade) rather than just throwing the arm/cart on a 2nd hand 1210 and hoping for the best. I am also concerned that I've never heard a 1200/1210 in the home environment.

I occasionally think "bugger-it, why not just get the new Planar 6 and be done with it" but the 1210 itch is still there. I have to admit though that the soft-spot is for the stock-looking-deck, I am not a fan of those isonoe feet and I'm not 100% sold on platter upgrades since they look a bit odd with the strobe light. Do these particular mods make such an improvement?

I'm Jeff.

I'm with you on the tone arm and platter, I think its nice to keep a 1210 looking stock, it's a real icon after all.

I don't mind the feet, I think they look OK tbh.

But anyway, the feet don't make a huge difference imo.

But as for which way to go, I would say it depends on what sort of music you like, if its dance music then definiitely get the 1210, it really kicks ass, especially with an Ian Mac bearing.

I would say just go for it, find a mint 1210, get the arm rewired, stick a decent cart on and enjoy it..

If you can, get an Ian Mac bearing.

They're the important mods imo, the rest of the mods are just very subtle improvements..
    Technics Sl1210 mk2. MCRU Linear Power Supply Step 2, Funk Firm Achromat, Isonoe Isolation Feet, Kab Tone Arm Damper, Kab arm rewiring kit, Kab Litz RCA wiring, Ortofon Concorde DJ S with Stylus 30, IanMac bearing.
    LFD MMO Phono Stage. Rega Elex-R Integrated Amp.Rega RS7 Speakers, TNT FFRC Speaker Cable. Nessie Vinyl Master RCM ( to take the misery out of record cleaning )
    Rega Dac.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wood View Post
    I'm with you on the tone arm and platter, I think its nice to keep a 1210 looking stock, it's a real icon after all.

But as for which way to go, I would say it depends on what sort of music you like, if its dance music then definiitely get the 1210, it really kicks ass, especially with an Ian Mac bearing.

I would say just go for it, find a mint 1210, get the arm rewired, stick a decent cart on and enjoy it..

They're the important mods imo, the rest of the mods are just very subtle improvements..
    As with everything choice of feet do make a difference and I think the Isonoes are still the best option out there, that I have heard.

Mats make a big difference as does the PSU, I would recommend Paul Hynes, Origin Live or Long Dog Audio PSUs for the Technics. Frankly I wouldn't rewire the existing arm, better replaced In my experience.

I also think that even a modern entry level Rega TT isn't going to be as good, but others mileage will vary, as in all things.
    Regards Neil

I'm Derek.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wood View Post

I mainly listen to rock/metal/punk/indie and some jazz.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12