+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Death of My amp

I'm Geoff.

Good result there Corne.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Yes, a good result, Rotel have always had a good rep for after-sales service, shame you can't say the same thing about the dealership. Bloke who told you that Rotel and B&W would be 'top heavy' either doesn't have a clue or was making it up to try to sell you something else. Avoid!
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Corne.

Well its pooped again this time taking a tweeter with it. MFer. Im insisting they refund me this time. This has had only 20 odd hours and now my tweeter sounds like its filled with sand.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'm Corne.

Any of you gus tried the old McLaren 402 preamplifier and 902 power amps. There is a cheap set and since the yba have been so much fun thought it might just be worth a play. Reviews are a bit scarce.

I'm Martin.

They are an NZ brand aren't they? Not to be confused with Tag McLaren.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Corne.

yes old nz crowd now gone but from the owner on par with entry level Plinius (also nz based) the power amps are mono block 250W @8Ohm and the pre amp sounds like it was not bad for the time you just need to watch for the first few series as they were not reliable but from the same people who make that claim also that the 702 on is a safe bet on reliability. The amps are in showroom condition but id say will need new caps but 2 power amps and a pre amp for a touch over $500 is kind of small change if they are ok lets say a new set of caps set nme back $500 thats still less than my $2700 Rotel wich has not been exactly reliable and it has a fairly high ground noise for the money. Ill go argue with them tomorrow but Im not draging another one home for a week to have the same again. Not sure what I will do now plus im out of the big speakers till they have been repaired. So the dali's will be it on the old onkyo system.

I'm Corne.

Well bit of an argument later the B & Ws will be repaired and the rotel has been returned. A new perreaux power amp (100p) and pre amp (dp32) will be replacing them in a few days.

I'm Martin.

Good luck with that.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Photoguy1510 View Post
    Well bit of an argument later the B & Ws will be repaired and the rotel has been returned. A new perreaux power amp (100p) and pre amp (dp32) will be replacing them in a few days.

Snap

I was reading this thread and saw the ups and downs and was gonna suggest Perreaux as an alternative, just to see you getting exactly that.

I've a Perraux DP32 and it is a fantastic pre/dac. Not got the 100p mind you so would love to know your thoughts.

Seems like a friendly company as well. When I got my Perreaux I sent the company an email with some questions and got a friendly response from Martin van Rooyen - the founder/owner.

Good luck with the B&W repair.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Corne.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Snap

I was reading this thread and saw the ups and downs and was gonna suggest Perreaux as an alternative, just to see you getting exactly that.

I've a Perraux DP32 and it is a fantastic pre/dac. Not got the 100p mind you so would love to know your thoughts.

Seems like a friendly company as well. When I got my Perreaux I sent the company an email with some questions and got a friendly response from Martin van Rooyen - the founder/owner.

Good luck with the B&W repair.
    Well i must be the most miss fortunate bastard under the sun. Got the Perreaux gear today, had to work late finaly got home unpack setup ( on 16 year old eltax speakers believe they make onkyo speakers thus came when i got my first onkyo) switch on my normal routine cd working to the power amp. Vol set to 0 all on give it a few seconds then go to 1/4 power.

Holy cow poor eltax speakers just about vel over. Clearly these speakers can not handle 100W. Never knew they could go this loud.

Well now i have this tick in the left tweeter ( every 10-15s) like a cap discharging hope its a crosover and not the amp. Apart from this i never expected the eltax ( el cheapo) to sound this good. Can not wait to hear the 683s only a week to go. Tried them on the yba before the prre and that also rocked them and so did the cambridge. But this also wanted to tip them over but far up the controll.

In between the ticks it is very nice and dead spots are dead quiet did not know an amp could be this quiet. I was told to use xlr conections dont know if this made any improvement.
    Bass was over the top but its a problem with the eltax speakers and why they sleep in the ceiling. The old silk dome was also singing like a song bird clean but not piercing. Lots more detail than the rotel cannot wait till tomorrow to listen some more but also hook up the cambridge to see if the tic goes away. Ill also swat tbe speakers left to right if the tick remains. Both amp and pre amp came with test charts and i could not see anything suggesting a loud ( high hz sound)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast