+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What will be the first upgrade you do on Technics sl1200 mk2

I'm Bikram.

it make sense to order all in one go to save the pastage cost. How many feet KAB spiral air/cardas cable you have ordered? the only expencive thing is tonearm damping kit. i am still confuse how that piece make that much difference.

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by kambo_z View Post
    it make sense to order all in one go to save the pastage cost. How many feet KAB spiral air/cardas cable you have ordered? the only expencive thing is tonearm damping kit. i am still confuse how that piece make that much difference.
    The KAB/SpiralAir Cardas cable can be chosen & ordered as 3.5ft. (aprox. 1 meter) already soldered to a KAB PCB on 1 side & Neutrik Rean RCA plugs on the other, made to be hardwired into the turntable. That's the one that costs $74.95 I believe. Then the rewire kit (which is litz wire) needs to be soldered to the PCB, & through the tonearm. That one, i believe is $28, & comes with the wires cut to the proper lenth, & already has the ends tinned. Litz wire is not the easiest thing to tin, & it makes sense to buy it already done. Cardas is made up of litz wire too, so you'll then have litz going all the way from the cartridge to the phono preamp.
    Those 2 upgrades are going to make the biggest improvement to your sound, & you could always buy the fluid damper later. That's how I planned on doing it, but then again I didn't have the costly shipping charges.
    The fluid damper helps with things like tracking, the overall soundstage, a darker sounding background, & an overall "smoother" effect, for lack of better words.
    There is so much moreinformation on the KAB site about the modding process, & it explains the fluid damper in much greater detail & depth. IMHO, you should read as much as you can on the KAB sight, & you can always contact Kevin, the owner. He is always very friendly, very helpful, & responds to your emails very promptly. He has been a leading force in keeping the Technics 1200 not just a DJ table, but an audiophile one too (which it was originally intended as) for almost 30 yrs at this point.
    I hope that I helped you out, & answered your questions. I apologize if I told you things you already knew too. = )
    - Nick

I'm Nick.

Here is a link to a review of the fluid damper that is also available on the KAB site. Hope it helps.
    https://forum.audiogon.com/discussio...2Bfluid-damper

I'm Bikram.

If i do all the updates to tonearm, it will cost me around £250 and plus time. You can call it fun or what so ever. On the other hand I can second hand Jelco tonearm 750d for around £300. Which probably will be a nice improvement. What you think????

I'm Mick.

I have done both. Though the Technics arm is a major improvement once rewired and shrink wrapped it can be improved on. With a good cart you will be probably be very happy. Its also easy to adjust and set up. I found the Jelco sa-750 a lovely built arm and a nice change to the clarity of my music. Initially fitted with a Ortofon 2m Blue(Excellent cart for the money) it was very happy. Upgraded to a 2M Black and it sounded amazing. Its all down to what you want to spend. Also remember most Jelco arms dont come with the RCA cable so factor that into costs.
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

I'm Nick.

If i do all the updates to tonearm, it will cost me around £250 and plus time. You can call it fun or what so ever. On the other hand I can second hand Jelco tonearm 750d for around £300. Which probably will be a nice improvement. What you think????
    I 100% agree with Dubster68 / Mick. As I had mentioned in a much earlier thread, the cartridge is going to make the biggest difference, & then moving on to upgrading or modding the tonearm is next. You've got the cart covered w/ a 2M blue.
    Also with a Jelco arm, besides the RCA cables, you may also need to purchase a mounting plate & posdibly a mounting ring?
    It depends on what the second hand arm comes with. I have never tried out both arms the way Dubster68 has either.
    His opinion on the subject, which he voiced, is probably your best bet.
    I still hope I've helped you out, & wish you luck in your search, & I still believe it can be a fun journey or whatever.

I'm Bikram.

Thanks for the suggestins. I will update the original tonearm and keep my turntable in original look. Thanks Dubster68 and hiwattnick. I sent the email to KAB for a quote.

I'm Mick.

Thanks for the suggestins. I will update the original tonearm and keep my turntable in original look. Thanks Dubster68 and hiwattnick. I sent the email to KAB for a quote.
    Bikram
    The tone arm rewire and a bit of foam packing makes a good mod if using a good cart. And most importantly its and easy cheap mod
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

I'm Nick.

That was a good choice IMO.
    The rewire kit now comes with a rubber tube that fits perfectly inside the tonearm tube. It also comes with cotton strips to fill the ends on the tonearm. I've heard of people putting foam type ear plugs in the ends too, but I don't feel that's necessary with the rubber liner & cotton.
    So once again, Dubster68 was on top of that extra "cheap mod" which is now free! = )
    You can also contact Kevin @ KAB with any questions too. I think I mentioned that to you. He's a great guy.
    Good luck, & let me know how it comes out!

I'm Jeff.

personally I'd probably put the tone arm damper further down the list.

might be better to use some of that cash to pay an expert to do the re wiring job.

And btw, you dont have to use KAB's cable for that, you can buy "discovery" cable in the UK which some people say is better.

Trust me on this, if you attempt the rewire yourself and accidently snap a cable then all that money is wasted, not to mention the damage you'll do to everything and everyone around you in a fit of rage
    Technics Sl1210 mk2. MCRU Linear Power Supply Step 2, Funk Firm Achromat, Isonoe Isolation Feet, Kab Tone Arm Damper, Kab arm rewiring kit, Kab Litz RCA wiring, Ortofon Concorde DJ S with Stylus 30, IanMac bearing.
    LFD MMO Phono Stage. Rega Elex-R Integrated Amp.Rega RS7 Speakers, TNT FFRC Speaker Cable. Nessie Vinyl Master RCM ( to take the misery out of record cleaning )
    Rega Dac.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast