+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What will be the first upgrade you do on Technics sl1200 mk2

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wood View Post
    might be better to use some of that cash to pay an expert to do the re wiring job.
    Johnnie at Audio Origami did a great job on mine, wouldn't hurt to get a quote from him:
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

I'm Bikram.

personally I'd probably put the tone arm damper further down the list.

might be better to use some of that cash to pay an expert to do the re wiring job.

And btw, you dont have to use KAB's cable for that, you can buy "discovery" cable in the UK which some people say is better.

Trust me on this, if you attempt the rewire yourself and accidently snap a cable then all that money is wasted, not to mention the damage you'll do to everything and everyone around you in a fit of rage
    Hi Jeff.
    You know anyone in Midlands who can help me to rewire the tonearm? Or i can drive about 50 miles, if required. thanks
    I forgot to mention that i have took the tonearm out a few months ago, because up and down mechanism needs greasing. I have seen some you tube videos and positive that i can do this. Its more risky to post your TT for rewire I think, because the guys who worked in courier companies they do not handle parcel with care.
    Last edited by kambo_z; 05-10-2017 at 07:27.

I'm Jeff.

Hi, sorry I dont know anyone personally.

I've heard of Audio Origami, so might be an idea to see how much they would charge, you could just post the arm to them.

And yes, it is diy do-able, but its a horrible fiddly job..
    Technics Sl1210 mk2. MCRU Linear Power Supply Step 2, Funk Firm Achromat, Isonoe Isolation Feet, Kab Tone Arm Damper, Kab arm rewiring kit, Kab Litz RCA wiring, Ortofon Concorde DJ S with Stylus 30, IanMac bearing.
    LFD MMO Phono Stage. Rega Elex-R Integrated Amp.Rega RS7 Speakers, TNT FFRC Speaker Cable. Nessie Vinyl Master RCM ( to take the misery out of record cleaning )
    Rega Dac.

I'm Andrew.

I've heard of Audio Origami, so might be an idea to see how much they would charge, you could just post the arm to them.

Best beach bar in tne world that mate, and Mambo of course!

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

I'm Bikram.

I just rewired the tonearm with Cardas 33 awg and carads solder. It took me 4 hours to rewire the arm, but its worth in the end. The sound is much better and i can heard base as well. Also sound is much open now. It cost me total £20 and 4 hours. lol. Next step will be Kab tonearm damping. Is external power make any noticeable difference. I saw SL6 make a nice post to upgrade the power supply.
    Last edited by kambo_z; 20-10-2017 at 20:47.

I'm Bikram.

Yes it is fiddly job indeed. lol

I'm Michiel.

Quote Originally Posted by kambo_z View Post
    Yes it is fiddly job indeed. lol
    So it is! Although I already have a VDH-rewired Origin Live modded OL1/RB250 arm, I also tried to rewire the stock arm last January. Partly out of curiosity and also because the OL lacks precise and convenient VTF and VTA adjustability. Especially setting VTF on the OL is a real pain in the neck. Setting VTA is so-so with a threaded VTA-adjuster. Both are far better executed on the stock arm.

I also used Cardas 33AWG for internal wiring. For external wiring I chose not-too-expensive Tasker C301 shielded low capacitance microphone cable, which does it's job very nicely. In the end, the OL arm still sounded way better. Maybe because the VDH cable is a bit better than Cardas/Tasker, but surely because the OL arm had far better tracking abilities (very apparent when using a test record for cartridge set-up).

I only encountered one major problem: the two tiny screws which hold the SME headshell connector wouldn't tighten anymore once loosened, no matter what I tried. This caused the SME connector to have 'rotational' play (or was it azimuth adjustability? ). To fixate it I ended up glueing the connector in the armtube (combined with the two original screws).

Has anyone here who has done the rewire job also come across this problem?
    Turntable Technics SL-1210mk2, Origin Live modified OL1 tonearm, Van Den Hul rewire, LDA/MCRU Step 2 PSU, Ianmac bearing, Isonoes, Achromat, Clearaudio Twister
    Cartridge Audio Technica AT33PTG II
    Tape Technics RS-AZ6
    SACD Sony SCD-XB790QS
    Ampification Accuphase E-205
    Speakers Dali Ikon 6 Special Edition
    Sub REL Strata II
    Cables Van Den Hul: MCS-150M and D-502 Hybrid (Tonearm), Integration Hybrid (SACD, Tape), CS-122 Hybrid (Speakers), The Second (currently unused). Canare: 4S8 (Sub)

I'm Neil.

Default What will be the first upgrade you do on Technics sl1200 mk2

Hi, I am newbie to vinyl world. Can someone suggest me what upgrade shall i look on my TT. I know there are many tweaks which can transform Technics tt to different level, but money will play a part as well. I am taking simultaneous steps to build it slowly. thanks
    The mat really needs replacing to stop excessive ringing of the platter. Start here IMO, as it is low cost and pays dividends to get right.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Bikram.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    The mat really needs replacing to stop excessive ringing of the platter. Start here IMO, as it is low cost and pays dividends to get right.
    What platter is good and advised here?

I'm Neil.

What platter is good and advised here?
    Without getting into silly money, keep the original platter and use a Funk Firm Achromat 1200.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Funk-Firm-A.../dp/B0075VJJR2
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast