+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What will be the first upgrade you do on Technics sl1200 mk2

I'm Valera.

First of all you have to move power transformer from SL-1200 body into separate standalone case. It's also good time to replace internal voltage regulator to external one - i.e. make (or buy) high quality separate PSU. No sense (my opinion, of course) to make any Technics upgrade if you have transformer attached to SL-1200 frame.
    Analog: Technics SL-1200MkII (RB300 tonearm, external PSU, separated power supply for all stages, improved bearing), MC Goldring Eroica LX, custom SUT 1:10, Balanced input J-FET DIY phonostage
    Digital: Cubietruck (headless Debian server, i2s output, external masterclock from DAC), content on HDD. DAC: Lynx D29v4 (Altera FPGA digital stream separator, 2*AD1853, 2*3 OP42 LPF)
    PA: DIY composite amplifier YES-3, schematic by Gennady Bragin
    Acoustic: DIY floorstanding 3-way SB Acoustics

I'm Jeff.

I thought it was better for the voltage regulator to be near the motor ? That's why they do 2 part power supplies.

And yes, its a fairly easy mod just to relocate the power supply, but tbh I found changing to an external power supply only makes a subtle difference.
    Technics Sl1210 mk2. MCRU Linear Power Supply Step 2, Funk Firm Achromat, Isonoe Isolation Feet, Kab Tone Arm Damper, Kab arm rewiring kit, Kab Litz RCA wiring, Ortofon Concorde DJ S with Stylus 30, IanMac bearing.
    LFD MMO Phono Stage. Rega Elex-R Integrated Amp.Rega RS7 Speakers, TNT FFRC Speaker Cable. Nessie Vinyl Master RCM ( to take the misery out of record cleaning )
    Rega Dac.

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Khom View Post
    First of all you have to move power transformer from SL-1200 body into separate standalone case. It's also good time to replace internal voltage regulator to external one - i.e. make (or buy) high quality separate PSU. No sense (my opinion, of course) to make any Technics upgrade if you have transformer attached to SL-1200 frame.
    I actually bought a KAB voltage regulator (which is made extremely well), with plans to either relocate, or more likely buy a KAB PSU. The stuff that Kevin designs & produces are always of the highest quality.
    But as I'm sure you know, it's an ongoing project which makes it fun. Each upgrade seems to make a difference.
    The biggest difference I noticed so far was replacing the tonearm wires with a KAB rewire kit, & a new PCB with Cardas interconnects already assembled.
    My next purchase will be a tonearm fluid damper. Is yours the KAB fluid damper?

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by kambo_z View Post
    @hiwattnick
    So it means, there is no point to spend money on rewire the tonearm. its better to buy jelco arm. I just surfing on this forum and one of a member offer a discount on Jelco 750d some time ago. I am not sure if he is still offering it with free sleeves. If someone can confirm here. Also some comments confusing me that its worth to upgrade or buy a new turntable.
    I believe it is better to upgrade. The 1200's, IMO are already an excellent table, but can be upgraded to be amazing.
    I believe the stock tonearm is fine (sorry if I was unclear about that), but there's nothing wrong with upgrading it if that's what you want to do. It's also about how much you are willing or want to spend on the upgrades.
    I personally used the deck as stock for a few years, & have been slowly upgrading it now for almost 2 years. I also consider new cartridges to be upgrades too. So I take that into account.
    Overall, it's about having fun & enjoying music! = )

I'm Jeff.

I agree, I've got the same tone arm wiring kit from Kab.

Did make a big difference.

The tone arm damper improves the bass a bit but don't expect a massive change.

Better to put the money towards an Ian Mac bearing, that did make a noticable difference, massively improved the bass.

But I think the thing with the whole 1210 upgrading is that you can easily spend a lot of money and only get a subtle difference,

Whereas is that money was spent on other things, ie a speaker or an amp upgrade then the sonic improvement would be much greater..

EG, the cost to change up from a Brio R to an Elex R is about the same cost as a decent outboard power supply, but the amp upgrade is FAR more noticable...

And dont get me started on my RS1 to RS7 change,,now thats an upgrade
    Technics Sl1210 mk2. MCRU Linear Power Supply Step 2, Funk Firm Achromat, Isonoe Isolation Feet, Kab Tone Arm Damper, Kab arm rewiring kit, Kab Litz RCA wiring, Ortofon Concorde DJ S with Stylus 30, IanMac bearing.
    LFD MMO Phono Stage. Rega Elex-R Integrated Amp.Rega RS7 Speakers, TNT FFRC Speaker Cable. Nessie Vinyl Master RCM ( to take the misery out of record cleaning )
    Rega Dac.

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wood View Post
    I agree, I've got the same tone arm wiring kit from Kab.

Did make a big difference.

The tone arm damper improves the bass a bit but don't expect a massive change.

Better to put the money towards an Ian Mac bearing, that did make a noticable difference, massively improved the bass.

But I think the thing with the whole 1210 upgrading is that you can easily spend a lot of money and only get a subtle difference,
    Whereas is that money was spent on other things, ie a speaker or an amp upgrade then the sonic improvement would be much greater..

EG, the cost to change up from a Brio R to an Elex R is about the same cost as a decent outboard power supply, but the amp upgrade is FAR more noticable...

And dont get me started on my RS1 to RS7 change,,now thats an upgrade
    Yes, absolutely. The KAB rewire & the KAB litz RCA wiring made the biggest turntable upgrade difference.
    And you're right about the upgrades, each only giving small improvements, while the money could probably be better spent on component upgrades. I guess you end up just chasing the turntable dragon.
    How would I go about getting an Ian Mac bearing? He's on this forum, correct? Are his bearings expensive? I'd be very interested in trying a new bearing, but wasn't about to she'll out almost $700 for a Mike New, which I think may have even stopped being produced, last I heard.

I'm Bikram.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wood View Post
    I think the first upgrade is to buy a record cleaning machine and some Art D'son fluid.

No point in doing any upgrades and then playing uncleaned records...

Then Cartridge, even a 30 quid At95e will sound FAR better than the DJ cart it probably came with.

Next up, rewire the tone arm, warning - this job isnt for the faint hearted

The stock arm is fine btw.

Most people who say to get another arm maybe havn't heard a rewired stock arm, especially with a Kab tone arm damper fitted.

Stock arms often sound crap because the wire Technics used is rubbish, and on a 20 year old arm its gonna be oxidised badly.

Next mod, get an Ian Mac bearing, massive improvement !

Then, get a decent phono stage, I recommend a secondhand LFD Audio MMO, sounds lovely !

Then after that, the mods only make more subtle differences, Mat, Feet, power supply...
    Thanks Jeff Wood, Where i can rewire the tonearm and buy kab damper. I live in midlands. uk.

I'm Bikram.

Smile

Thanks for the replies.
    I will start with rewire the tonearm and buy KAB tonearm damping as everyone agrees with it. I all ready have ortofon 2m blue cartridge. If anyone help me where i can buy KAB tonearm damping and rewire kit. Also how hard it is to assemble myself. thanks

I'm Kevin.

Google "KAB USA" and you should find them.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by kambo_z View Post
    Thanks for the replies.
    I will start with rewire the tonearm and buy KAB tonearm damping as everyone agrees with it. I all ready have ortofon 2m blue cartridge. If anyone help me where i can buy KAB tonearm damping and rewire kit. Also how hard it is to assemble myself. thanks
    Great choice with the 2M blue. It's quite better than the red IMO.
    You can order the rewire kit from www.kabusa.com just as Kevin had mentioned. I do have to warn you though, that you should have some experience with soldering before you try & tackle the rewire. You can do it though. Just take your time, & be mindful of what you're doing. Kevin from KAB sent me this link when I ordered the rewire kit. I hope It is helpful.
    And if you can, I'd order the KAB SpiralAir / Cardas phono interconnects soldered to the PCB, & terminated to Neutrik Rean RCA plugs. Kevin mentioned that he is going to use those instead of the ART pop RCA plugs from now on. That's what I've got, & I think they're great. I believe it might make more sense to do that 1st, before the tonearm damper.
    If you can afford all 3 though, I believe that you will be very pleased with the outcome. Not to mention, withe the shipping to the UK, it would probably make more sense to grab all 3 at once if possible.
    http://kabusa.com/arm-rewire.pdf

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast