+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Elliptical Speakers. Why Are They No Longer Used in Hi-Fi?

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    ........Aren't some car speaker still oval shaped?.....
    ''6 x 9'' 's were all the rage a few years ago when after-market Car Hi-Fi was much bigger than it is today, you're right.

Jim.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    ''6 x 9'' 's were all the rage a few years ago when after-market Car Hi-Fi was much bigger than it is today, you're right.

Jim.
    Yes. Some 'In Car Entertainment' speakers are elliptical, but this thread relates to Hi-Fi and I don't regard ICE as Hi-Fi.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Sold by the thousands from Lasky's and W.H.Smith in Edgware Road. They were called the 'Set 450' with the nasty little plastic coned tweeters and the 'Set 350' with a single paper coned tweeter.

Not a patch on the various versions of the excellent 14A/770 alloy framed 13" x 9" jobs, as used by Celef, B&W, Mordaunt Short, Proac and Monitor Audio, amongst many others (although some of the 12" x 9" steel framed units shared the same cone and larger magnet).
    Don't think that B&W used the 14A770 in any of their speakers, the 92390DJ 13x8 was used in the DM3, and I think, but not sure in the earlier P1 and P2.

The 13x8 designated 92390 GF had versions that were triple laminated paper / aluminium, and double laminated paper / aluminium.

I have speakers that contain 14A770 and the 92390, both good units to my mind.

EMI made so many variations on each unit. For example there were 13x8's with just a thinnish paper cone, paper cone with aluminium centre, double laminated paper with aluminium centre, triple laminated paper with aluminium centre, and fibre glass/ paper with an aluminium centre.
    Spendorman

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    That weren't no BSR deck. It was a late Garrard with a version of the ghastly cheapo 'Unimech' chassis which was based on their micro-changer CC10. Van Der Molen made some pleasant stereo record players, but the more expensive Hacker models were very much better and even had half decent speakers to boot (I think they were M-S sourced, but it would need Andr'e to confirm probably).
    Ive added a third picture as my one was a BSR. Its got crafted in ....by BSR. I Probably pictured the wrong one if they used different units. I thought something was odd when posting as the other version ( el cheapo Garrard you say) has a larger silver middle and no controls front left. I just remember it being jerky and rickety but what does a kid want when the muppet album needs playing

And for Macca they were library pictures but we had blue formica and real 70s wallpaper in my bedroom with brown and orange rounded oblongs...lovely.

Yeah it was a basic record player and I like pictures which remind me of the past.

All the best Martin
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 29-09-2017 at 15:58.

I'm James.

.... but this thread relates to Hi-Fi and I don't regard ICE as Hi-Fi.
    Nakamichi DAC-101 In'Car DAC. 2x TDA1541A Single Crown...........Not Hi-Fi ? You've gotta be joking !th.jpg

I'm Geoff.

Nakamichi DAC-101 In'Car DAC. 2x TDA1541A Single Crown...........Not Hi-Fi ? You've gotta be joking !th.jpg
    No. It may be expensive and fancy, but it's not Hi-Fi.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

No. It may be expensive and fancy, but it's not Hi-Fi.
    I beg to differ !! ;-)

I'm Geoff.

It's simple really James. Regardless of high spec, no audio component in tended for in car use, can deliver true Hi-Fi in a vehicle. 'Cos the environment of a vehicle will not permit a Hi-Fi sound. You can have loud, impressive, powerful and 'nice sounding', but not Hi-Fi.

The disposition of speaker drive units precludes anything like correct imaging. And, there are hard reflective surfaces all round that produce unfortunate reflection effects. The dimensions of the cabin rule out proper reproduction of bass fundamentals, regardless of perceived bass depth. Also, vehicles are in noisy environments and also generate enough of their own noise for decent SN ratios to be impossible. Hence, although you may like the sound, it can't be Hi-Fi.

I'm James.

.......no audio component in tended for in car use, can deliver true Hi-Fi in a vehicle....
    Ah! I think here is where my confusion lay, the last three words of your sentence... ''....in a vehicle....''. I agree, listening in a car is just nice music but not Hi-Fi. But the components can be, if used domestically. My Nakamichi has never been anywhere near a car. It was used as my main DAC, in my home, for 10 years + and is most definitely Hi-Fi. Although I have now come to like NOS DACs and so use it less.

Anyway, we've strayed off topic a little. So back to Elliptical Speakers, if used in a domestic situation I'm sure some in-car types could be made to sound Hi-Fi but as most are 4 OHMS, consideration of crossover components would be needed.

Jim.

I'm Geoff.

So back to Elliptical Speakers, if used in a domestic situation I'm sure some in-car types could be made to sound Hi-Fi but as most are 4 OHMS, consideration of crossover components would be needed.

Jim.
    I've suggested this in the past. Some car speakers are pretty good designs and would undoubtedly work in a Hi-Fi system. Even the 4 ohm load is not a problem for most amps. A pair of larger full range ellipticals in compact transmission line cabinets could be fun.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast