+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Elliptical Speakers. Why Are They No Longer Used in Hi-Fi?

I'm malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Speakers using more than one drive unit were regarded as 'professional' and were, I believe, not subject to purchase tax.
    It was those with over 2 drivers - hence the BC1 had a super tweeter 'to avoid purchase tax'.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Jez.

It may well be that 3 unit speakers were automatically "professional" for tax purposes but it also depended on woofer size. A 2 unit speaker with at least one dimension of 12" in the drive unit was it seems tax exempt and it is said this is the reasoning behind the KEF B139.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    It may well be that 3 unit speakers were automatically "professional" for tax purposes but it also depended on woofer size. A 2 unit speaker with at least one dimension of 12" in the drive unit was it seems tax exempt and it is said this is the reasoning behind the KEF B139.
    Not sure about that Jez. The B139 was a reduced size version of an older and much larger bass driver. Think it was the B1814 or something like that, it was damn big anyway.

Last edited by walpurgis; 28-09-2017 at 14:30.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Not sure about that Jez. The B139 was a reduced size version of an older and much larger bass driver. Think it was the B1814 or something like that, it was damn big anyway.

Oh I'm well aware of the earlier incarnation of it yes. There was even a 2 way bookshelf with just a B139 and T27!
    As far as purchase tax anomalies go well I don't know the full SP and it seems lost in the mists of time but there are many references I've seen over the years, some no doubt apocryphal, of "more than 2 drivers" being a criteria but even more mentioning size of bass unit and that it didn't specify that it had to be 12" or more in all directions.... so an elliptical driver was a tax loophole so long as 12" in biggest dimension. Think also of all those EMI 13" x 9" drivers with two tweeters on a metal strip across the front of them...
    I even recall talk of some early ABR speakers being for tax purposes as the third driver didn't need a magnet or voice coil to qualify...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Think also of all those EMI 13" x 9" drivers with two tweeters on a metal strip across the front of them
    Sold by the thousands from Lasky's and W.H.Smith in Edgware Road. They were called the 'Set 450' with the nasty little plastic coned tweeters and the 'Set 350' with a single paper coned tweeter.

Not a patch on the various versions of the excellent 14A/770 alloy framed 13" x 9" jobs, as used by Celef, B&W, Mordaunt Short, Proac and Monitor Audio, amongst many others (although some of the 12" x 9" steel framed units shared the same cone and larger magnet).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

My Mordaunt Short MS 815's. I only use them to add a bit of oomph to the telly and I'm not in to the whole AV thing. They sounded OK until I heard the big Goodmans.

I'm Martin.

Well I grew up with a Dynatron radiogram and it subconsciously put me off elliptical looking drivers for ever.

Usually saw them in low fi gear that was knocking about as a kid.

They cant be that good if nobody uses them now

They were in this Van Der Molen garbage that I had when I was about 10. Im maybe being unfair as I enjoyed it as a kid until the built in amp starts crackling at the controls and failed...You could rock that BSR tonearm backwards and forwards on its rickety mounting and there was one elliptical speaker per cabinet

Picture below BSR version.... My pride and joy

Last edited by Minstrel SE; 29-09-2017 at 15:50.

I'm frank.

I seem to remember very well reviewed Monitor Audio MA3 used an elliptical driver.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Well I grew up with a Dynatron radiogram and it subconsciously put me off elliptical looking drivers for ever.

Usually saw them in low fi gear that was knocking about as a kid.

They cant be that good if nobody uses them now

They were in this Van Der Molen garbage that I had when I was about 10. Im maybe being unfair as I enjoyed it as a kid until the built in amp starts crackling at the controls and failed...You could rock that BSR tonearm backwards and forwards on its rickety mounting and there was one elliptical speaker per cabinet
    I'm tripping out just looking at that wallpaper. And the Formica!

Those were the days.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

That weren't no BSR deck. It was a late Garrard with a version of the ghastly cheapo 'Unimech' chassis which was based on their micro-changer CC10. Van Der Molen made some pleasant stereo record players, but the more expensive Hacker models were very much better and even had half decent speakers to boot (I think they were M-S sourced, but it would need Andr'e to confirm probably).
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast