+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Elliptical Speakers. Why Are They No Longer Used in Hi-Fi?

I'm Geoff.

Default Elliptical Speakers. Why Are They No Longer Used in Hi-Fi?

(restarting this thread as it was accidentally deleted, previous contributors please feel free to repost)

Generally, manufacturers don't use elliptical drive units in Hi-Fi speakers. They were very popular years ago. Ellipticals have much going for them, less obvious cone colouration, broader operating bandwidth, and the narrower chassis for a given cone area allows slimmer cabinets to be designed. It's all good news.

Perhaps they fell out of favour for being regarded as 'old hat' or 'radiogram speakers' years ago.

Mordaunt Short were that last maker to employ them in quantity that I can recall.

No doubt there may be an obscure design or two out there using ellipticals, but I can't think of any.
    Mr. Tact!

"when common sense, logic and plausibility are ruled out. All that remain are lies and foolishness"

Gear: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/one scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/two hefty Japanese DD TT's/hefty Japanese BD TT/smaller Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. One CD transport/3 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. One MD deck. One tuner. Two TVC pre-amps/two valve pre-amps/solid state pre-amp/passive pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm Josie.

I was going to say before. Aren't some car speaker still oval shaped?

I had some, I think Shnieder? speakers once which sounded good, they were oval.
    Preamplifier: Croft Epoch Elite - Dual external PSU & Upgrades
    Amplifier: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp No. 5 using KT150's
    Digital: Raspberry Pi & ALLO Piano DAC & KALI - IQAudio DAC with SBooster Linear BOBW PSU & Trio DP700 CDP
    Turntable: Thorens TD124 MkII - Schopper refurbished
    Tonearm: SME 3009 S2 None Improved - Audio Origami modified
    Cartridge: Ortofon SPU GT
    Speakers: 15" Tannoy Monitor Golds in Lockwood Majors with Tannoyista Spec 3 crossovers
    Cables/Mains: Mark Grant Black Series mains cables & 6-Way power bar
    Cables/IC's: Mark Grant HDX1 Pure Copper + Custom made Silver/Gold interconnects
    Mains Other: Tube Distinctions/Mark Grant 'The Power Works' Digital noise mains power filter TD2414-MG - Nick Gorham DC Blocker unit constructed by Mark Grant

I'm Dave.

Maybe they are more difficult to make but having said that, they were the go to choice for radios and radiograms etc, so they needn't be expensive.

They could be used to good effect in the modern slim line speakers as they could provide a larger cone size than a circular unit but not require a wider cabinet.

I'm Grant.

a wider freq response
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    DENON DV2900 - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP - AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTH - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER23, DEEZER HiFi - ECHO DOT - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN's - Q ACOUSTIC BT3 actives - CANTON SUB - MAINS REGENERATED.

I'm Jez.

More distortion and cone break up, less pistonic in action, more coloured... Mainly used to save space in lo fi gear.
    Bizarrely, they were used in several hi fi speakers for tax reasons! You paid less tax in the days of "purchase tax" as round units were in a higher tax bracket than elliptical...

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The B&W DM3 speaker used an elliptical driver. As did some some Heco speakers.

You could argue the KEF B139 'racetrack' drive unit is a development of the elliptical design.
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

Barry

I'm Buriedunderaloadofturntables.

As someone who designed several OEM car 6x9 subwoofers when at Goodmans, I can assure you they bring an interesting set of design challenges compared to round speakers! That said, I must admit I'm surprised there hasn't been more of an effort to come up with something like a modern KEF B139, which would bring the advantages of a decent cone area, but still in a width that would fit a modern, slim cabinet.

As an aside, one of my good friends and former colleagues worked at Goodmans for several years before I did, including the time when Mordaunt Short were in the same building and developing the 800 series mentioned above (which had the elliptical drivers).

They had 'one or two issues' with the drivers' design and my friend was loaned to them for several months to sort it all out, which he successfully did, and rumour has it the 800s are rather good. However, to this day, he still develops an inadvertent twitch if I mention them in his presence!
    Adam.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    More distortion and cone break up, less pistonic in action, more coloured... Mainly used to save space in lo fi gear.
    Bizarrely, they were used in several hi fi speakers for tax reasons! You paid less tax in the days of "purchase tax" as round units were in a higher tax bracket than elliptical...
    Speakers using more than one drive unit were regarded as 'professional' and were, I believe, not subject to purchase tax.
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

Barry

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Speakers using more than one drive unit were regarded as 'professional' and were, I believe, not subject to purchase tax.
    Indeed but there was also a driver size limit with too small = domestic. They could quote the longer dimension of the elliptical cone and get round it that way!

This is according to the book "Leak: Firsts in high fidelity" re the Leak Mini-Sandwich.

I'm Tony.

Still sounding good now in my MS 400

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast