+ Reply to Thread

Thread: iTunes Scripts

I'm Lee.

Default iTunes Scripts

Hi,

Just wondering if any of you mac/itunes users use any iTunes scripts.

There's a great site with many, many scripts here.

Personally, I use scripts for editing tag information (I've altered some scripts to suit my needs), to get album artwork, to go to the amazon page for that album, to go to wikipedia for chosen album/artist, and all kinds of other things.

Scripts can really help cut down on some manual work.

Take a look.
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm John.

A good link, Lee.
    A brief glance turned up a useful script that simplifies the conversion between different formats (mp3, wav, etc.) via iTunes.

Default Embedded Artwork

I use one of the Scripts from that site for embedding artwork in the iTunes file. If you import your own artwork then it is embedded with the file. However if you use the iTunes - Advance - Get Album Artwork feature to fill in artwork it is not embedded with the file. My understanding is this could be a problem if you have to move your library or restore your library. The problem would be if iTunes no longer has the artwork then you are stuck. By ensuring all artwork is embedded you will always have it with the file.
    (2) Lacie Quadra2 HDD>(2) Cardas Clear USB Cables>Mac Mini (AIFF-iTunes-Pure Music)>Cardas Clear USB cable>Bel Canto DAC 1.5>Cardas Clear Light XLR interconnects>Bel Canto 500S amp>Cardas Clear Sky Speaker cables>Dynaudio Chorus 220 MKII speakers

I'm Lee.

That's a good one but personally I just add the artwork to the artwork box when I select the album and 'get info'.
    Lee

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    That's a good one but personally I just add the artwork to the artwork box when I select the album and 'get info'.
    My first choice is also to add my own artwork using Get Info and dragging the jpeg into the artwork box. There are several good sites for getting good or high resolution artwork available like the Album Art Exchange and even Google Images. I want the best image possible. Using Apple TV I display my album covers many times on my HDTV and it is pretty cool seeing that artwork in a very large format. If you have low res files which might not be noticeable in your iTunes library of Cover Flow it will show up immediately on your HDTV.

However, before I discovered the sites that would provide better artwork I used the Advance - Get Album Artwork feature quite a bit. This Script gave me the opportunity to embed the artwork files like the rest. Now I only use the Get Album Artwork as a last resort.
    (2) Lacie Quadra2 HDD>(2) Cardas Clear USB Cables>Mac Mini (AIFF-iTunes-Pure Music)>Cardas Clear USB cable>Bel Canto DAC 1.5>Cardas Clear Light XLR interconnects>Bel Canto 500S amp>Cardas Clear Sky Speaker cables>Dynaudio Chorus 220 MKII speakers

I'm Lee.

Nice one. I use album art exchange too. I usually settle for 600x600 images. They always look slightly less sharp in coverflow than they do on the AAE page though.
    Lee

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    Nice one. I use album art exchange too. I usually settle for 600x600 images. They always look slightly less sharp in coverflow than they do on the AAE page though.
    I have found that you have to look at the images carefully. I make sure I am getting the raw image and not the thumbnail. Even then the quality 600 x 600 image will depend on the file size, and resolution. I have seen some awfully bad large files. Preview on my iMac provides me the tools to be able to see the actual breakdown of the file and to make slight adjustments and corrections. You are right though, sometimes I have thought I have a real nice image only later to find some pretty bad defects in the file.

+ Reply to Thread