+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Recomend me a DAC

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Chord products produce sound I am allergic to.
    Me too I had a DAC64 for a bit. What was I thinking!?

I'm Martin.

Im just wondering if we can get to the nitty gritty of whats in a £50/ £100/ £500 Dac compared with what the hell could be in a £3000 DAC. Pick your price point.

My gut feeling is that there is a lot of hype and clearly a flavour of the month thing going on. There are so many to choose from now as everyone has a stab at making them. A lot of style over substance going on which does sway me to some extent..see my comment about the DIY look

Someone will recommend the Chord or Arcam and then someone else will say they have that DAC 3 which is fine for them (looks like a DIY kit..very low brow with its philips head screws on the front...only half joking )

Then we have all the other Chinese direct order boxes with or without valves in a crowded marketplace. Then that Philips chipset was in a range from cd players and people argue that the 1541 is better than the 1543 with lovely tonal qualities....... not maybe the most resolving but lovely nostalgia blah blah.

Ive seen these chips on a pcb board and I wonder about the pricing for whats in a separate DAC box

I just want a nice little box with a brushed metal panel and lots of micro leds telling me Im getting a super duper D/A conversion...What was wrong with the Dacmagic 100?
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 07-10-2017 at 01:08.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    I just want a nice little box with a brushed metal panel and lots of micro leds telling me Im getting a super duper D/A conversion...What was wrong with the Dacmagic 100?
    What's wrong with a Dacmagic 100?

Nothing much, probably - but all these doodads sound different, and in ways that are important (to me at any rate).
    I've got an upmarket version of the same (Cambridge 851d) - is it better, worse, different? Probably.

As you say, the market is more than saturated with DACs these days. Far too many for anyone to have heard them all, or even approach that.
    You just have to find your own path, take pot luck, take advantage of what comes along and appeals for whatever reason - and/or maybe take guidance from others who have tried some of the contenders that you haven't.

What makes a Chord Hugo2 cost £1800 and the little NOS TDA1543 DAC3 cost about £100? Apart from the DIY-ish case of the DAC3 and the CNCed brilliance and fancy lighting of the Chord. Oh, and the Chord has a remote controlled volume. But still, a huge difference in price. Chord is perhaps a bad example, as they make their own chips not just take them off the shelf like pretty much everyone else.
    The difference in sq? - huge. Money aside, I much prefer the DAC3, having tried them both. I lived with the DAC3 for quite a while and enjoyed it very much, I couldn't tolerate the (run in) Hugo2 for more than an hour or so.

So, yes, you just have to find your own way, or trust in a manufacturer that you have had success with in the past. Or ... well, whatever you want.
    Last edited by jandl100; 07-10-2017 at 05:41.

I'm Corne.

Ok anyone want to put their hand up to help if I want a dac3 not available here and at a £100 it's less than half of the cheapest I can get here. Sounds like a good starting point to me. Very few places mail to nz so I'm going to have to beg till someone is willing to help.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Photoguy1510 View Post
    Ok anyone want to put their hand up to help if I want a dac3 not available here and at a £100 it's less than half of the cheapest I can get here. Sounds like a good starting point to me. Very few places mail to nz so I'm going to have to beg till someone is willing to help.
    Have you contacted the French seller about shipping to NZ? - he is very helpful and his English is fine.
    eBay link

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Have you contacted the French seller about shipping to NZ? - he is very helpful and his English is fine.
    eBay link
    Actually, in that ebay auction the auto-shipping calculator says he will ship to NZ for £24.50!

I'm Corne.

Thank you for the link

I'm Corne.

Now the wait and hope nobody goes and chases up the bid. NZ$140 + 45 freight what a rip living on the bum end of the world.

I'm Martin.

Now the wait and hope nobody goes and chases up the bid. NZ$140 + 45 freight what a rip living on the bum end of the world.
    Never fancied living in Oz but NZ has always appealed to me. Never been to either place, mind. My old man was there in the early '80s and he said it reminded him of England in the 1950s. In a good way, I think.

Looks like it is very quiet and lots of countryside. I suppose the earthquakes are a bit shit but that's not all the time.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm gone.

.... what a rip living on the bum end of the world.
    Yeah, right.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast