+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony ES/ESD Opinions

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'd have thought you might have looked at Naim CD players Bev.
    Well that's the other ones I have in mind but forgot to mention it Geoff, however I have no idea how they might stack up against one of the Sony's..
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I am trying to work out the Sony hierarchy on their cd players

Does anyone know if a CDP-XA5ES is much the same as a CDP-XA50ES or is the 50 considered above the 5 and where would the CDP-X555ES fit in ?

Any help much appreciated
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm jamie.

if you near brighton at any point your welcome to hear mine

My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm jamie.

have you looked on the vintage knob web site? they have a lot of sony es gear listed
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    have you looked on the vintage knob web site? they have a lot of sony es gear listed
    Hi Jamie
    Thank you so much for the offer, much appreciated

Does your 555ES have the puck? and do you know where it sits within the Sony range?
    Bev

I'm jamie.

no it hasn't got the puck,i think its the second to top model of its period.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm jamie.

copied from another site,

Sony's own CXD2552, this is a multi-output dual differential bitstream DAC. It's one of the best voltage output bitstream DACs ever made, and surpassed only by it's cussessor, the CXD2562, albeit not by much.
    It offers true 20-bit dynamic range and low noise as well as good jitter rejection. Sony's first SACD player actually sued the CXD2562 for CD playback, so this basic architecture was used up to the late 90's.
    The difital filter in front of the DAC is again Sony's own design. This is what changed from the predecessor, X55ES, then (with the change of DAC chips) well into the XA range years later. The basic DAC structure remained the same. By today's standards the digital filter remains decent, and the DAC is still top-notch. Unlike other offerings of that kind it operates on a higher frequency alowing simplified output filter design.

The X555, 333, 777 share the same basic transport. The 777 adds a few bits of mechanical stabilization but it's really the same. It's the last instance of Sony's legendary linear motor aluminium base drive - the only rotating part in it is the spindle motor, it has no gears at all, and really only two moving parts, which is the reason for it being so reliable, and why X777 (also 779, 707) fetsh high prices, even if they are only used as transports.

The basic structure of the lineup goes like this:
    3xx has the same laser, DAC (single) and mechanism, and a single transformer for the power supply (but with separated secondaries for analog and digital). These units tend to be really good sounding and in some cases even surpass the 5xx from the same lineup. They are also very tweakable, and generally top-notch for the price.
    5xx usually has dual power transformers and supplies, and a more complex analog output but the transport and DAC scheme remain the same.
    7xx are the units where all stops have been taken out. It only takes a look under the hood to recognise that. They have dual power transformers, ultiple power supplies, dual DACs running in balanced mode, usually there are also balanced outputs - and at some time or other they were ALL reference machines for at least one, and often many test setups you could see in the HiFi press. Because of this, it's very hard to surpass them even today.

Later units after the X707 (the XA range) already saw signs of penny saving. They are by no means bad units, quite the oposite, but gone are the discrete regulators, copper chasis in lower parts of the range, havy vibration-proof transformers (newer units use smaller R-cores), etc. Still, LOTS of bang for the buck.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Martin.

This is the ES player that uses the fixed mech with the puck:

http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-CDP-XA7ES.html

Might be a bit spendy.

This is the QS version (930QS) I have which you can get for about a ton, less if you drop on:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=0&ajaxhist=0
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Sony CDP-XA20ES uses a puck too
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    This is the ES player that uses the fixed mech with the puck:

http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-CDP-XA7ES.html

Might be a bit spendy.

This is the QS version (930QS) I have which you can get for about a ton, less if you drop on:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=0&ajaxhist=0
    Great thanks Martin I hadn't noted the QS range but have no idea if it's the equal to the ES/ESD range it just looks to be more moden looking and a lot cheaper as well
    Bev

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast