+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony ES/ESD Opinions

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Default Sony ES/ESD Opinions

I am looking to buy a new one box cd player

It would need to better my transport and AN Dac or at least as good

I've read a lot about the old Sony ES / ESD players being pretty good

The only other players I thought about were the old Marantz CD94 or one of the later Marantz SA players such as the SA-15s or maybe the Marantz SA8005

If anyone has any experience of any of these it would be most useful to hear your thoughts
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

Not really keen on Marantz CD players Bev. What about a nice Meridian 506, 20 bit or 24 bit? Or a 507? They sound lovely.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

Any early 90's Sony ES deck with a model number beginning with 5 or higher Bev. The prices for these are only going to go up as well so now is a good time to get one. You will not regret it, stand on me.

I'm jamie.

I have the Sony x555es CD player, very good imo.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    I am looking to buy a new one box cd player

It would need to better my transport and AN Dac or at least as good

I've read a lot about the old Sony ES / ESD players being pretty good

The only other players I thought about were the old Marantz CD94 or one of the later Marantz SA players such as the SA-15s or maybe the Marantz SA8005

If anyone has any experience of any of these it would be most useful to hear your thoughts
    Marantz SA players aren't that great, mechanisms are noisy and the CD playback is compromised over SACD, which is very good.

Marantz CD94mk2 is better than a MK1 re stand alone sound quality, but you really need something better I think to better the sound of what you have. I think a dedicated transport would raise the game for you as what you are using as transports isn't in my view anything special, others will of course disagree.

Not sure what to suggest as dedicated well made transports with quality mechanisms aren't that easy to find and no doubt someone will say what about a Cambridge, or an Audiolab, but in my view these modern designs aren't a patch on a quality vintage transport, like a Micromega, or an Audiomeca, or even a Marantz CD99, or Teac or a Wadia. Problem is getting one of these at sane money.
    Regards Neil

I've owned a Meridian, I think it was the 506.20, and while I liked it at the time it didn't come close to the transport/AN Dac

I've now ruled out the Marantz players, I wasn't so keen anyway, but I have an itch to try a good Sony. I like the look of the Sony's that use the heavy 'puck'
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Martin.

I've owned a Meridian, I think it was the 506.20, and while I liked it at the time it didn't come close to the transport/AN Dac

I've now ruled out the Marantz players, I wasn't so keen anyway, but I have an itch to try a good Sony. I like the look of the Sony's that use the heavy 'puck'
    I've got one of those and I slot it in occasionally but it has never been on the first team permanently. Lovely mech and build, though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Neil.

If you mean the SCD777 or SCD1 then again compromised CD playback, as their main design goal was SACD. Very good at that I owned an SCD777 once, but CD was nothing special. If the mech goes its scrap as getting one of those isn't going to be easy. Other issue is selling price is well over £1000 for an SCD777 and in and around £2000 for an SCD1.
    Regards Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    If you mean the SCD777 or SCD1 then again compromised CD playback, as their main design goal was SACD. Very good at that I owned an SCD777 once, but CD was nothing special. If the mech goes its scrap as getting one of those isn't going to be easy. Other issue is selling price is well over £1000 for an SCD777 and in and around £2000 for an SCD1.
    No I was not thinking about SACD players as I don't really have the need for SACD and, as you say, the cd playback is probably compromised. I was considering something like the CDP-XA50ES, CDP-XA5ES, CDP-XA7ES, CDP-XA555ES etc
    Bev

I'm Geoff.

I'd have thought you might have looked at Naim CD players Bev.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast