+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Modern versus vintage CD players

I'm Richard.

Despite worrying whether I remembered the sound of a Helios Stargate through rose tinted ears I gambled on buying one about 18 months ago. It's brilliant, But when it goes, probably tomorrow (about 20 years old now) I'm fooked. Well worth it though. I'd probably still try & get hold of another one. Yep, I'm an idiot.

I'm Shaun.

Back around 1989 I bought a Cambridge Audio CD2 that lasted for a year or so. Reliability was crap and the sound wasn't all that brilliant either. I would so rather have what I use now to anything from back then.

I'm Andy.

I think it depends on the player and your tastes. For instance, I wouldn't give house room to any Marantz I've ever heard, old or new. However a Naim CDI would be preferable to any newer players I've heard. Not quite in the same league but the mk1 Rega Planet is also another player that makes the sort of music that the vast majority of players I've heard can't dream of. That includes modern Rega players too.

There's also build quality and aesthetics to consider. Again, personal preference will play a huge part. Whatever you choose, buying used can allow you to try a few bits until something hits the spot.

I'm Martin.

Well yes personally Im after a modern top loader or cd transport as a nod to the first top loader I had in 1984.

Im not taking part in the search for a vintage cd player but I would fancy the first CD63 or Philips 100 is they werent going for £500+ each and needing a full service. Not many of them will be fully working now. I do get driven by nostalgia which can be a dangerous and money wasting thing.

Im just sort of interested in what vintage players others are looking for and how the prices hold up. I heard the 14 bit oversampling fairly recently and it sounded nicer than I ever remember it. It worked briefly after a warm up and then we got it working but we couldnt diagnose a full board of failing joints and earth griplets. The person helping me wasnt really interested in doing me a favour for next to nothing (fair enough) so it ended up playing but in mono so I sold it on to the expert restorers.

So although others are looking I am letting the past go.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Well yes personally Im after a modern top loader or cd transport as a nod to the first top loader I had in 1984.

Im not taking part in the search for a vintage cd player but I would fancy the first CD63 or Philips 100 is they werent going for £500+ each and needing a full service. Not many of them will be fully working now. I do get driven by nostalgia which can be a dangerous and money wasting thing.

Im just sort of interested in what vintage players others are looking for and how the prices hold up. I heard the 14 bit oversampling fairly recently and it sounded nicer than I ever remember it. It worked briefly after a warm up and then we got it working but we couldnt diagnose a full board of failing joints and earth griplets. The person helping me wasnt really interested in doing me a favour for next to nothing (fair enough) so it ended up playing but in mono so I sold it on to the expert restorers.

I've had an Audio Note CDT2 / II - top loader - for about five years now and it's excellent. Redbook only but both RCA/SPDIF and AES/ABU. Highly recommend it I had a Shigaraki transport then a Wadia something or other before that and this beats both. Though the Shigaraki sounded pretty good despite basic functionality. Audio Note also do a range of one-box CD players in the same case.

I have huge regard for Audio Note source components whether that's cartridges, tonearms or digital ... less so for their amps and speakers never really floated my boat.

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

I've been using a Linn Karik for about 5 years, I believe the model was originally introduced in 1992 so I assume that as a 25 year old design it counts as vintage. After a while I added a Numerik DAC and later following a recommendation by an AoS member a couple of Roxburgh mains filters, so the Karik has a bit of upgradeability if you want to take these worthwhile steps. The sound is so "right" that I've no desire to change it, warm unlike other CD players that I've experienced. Ignoring the dated (retro ?) display the construction oozes quality - the loading tray is so robust you get the impression you could stand on it and the mechanism is smooth and quiet. I'm busy stocking up on spare Hitachi lasers for the inevitable day...

Pete

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    I wouldn't give house room to any Marantz I've ever heard, old or new
    Good job I only use mine as a transport then isn't it ?

I'm Shaun.

I know my old Cambridge CD2 used the infamous TDA1541 chipset but when I replaced it with a two box Meridian, the Meridian showed just how bloody awful the CD2 was. It really summed up early compact disc in that it was incredibly brash and aggressive. The gear I have now is just so damn polite in comparison.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    I know my old Cambridge CD2 used the infamous TDA1541 chipset but when I replaced it with a two box Meridian, the Meridian showed just how bloody awful the CD2 was. It really summed up early compact disc in that it was incredibly brash and aggressive. The gear I have now is just so damn polite in comparison.
    But were those early players really 'bright and harsh'? Or was it the systems they were plonked in, systems voiced to add a bit of edge to an essentially warm and cuddly vinyl front end or the gently compressed sound of compact cassette?

The only first generation CD player I have heard is the Sony CDP1, it was not bright and harsh. I've also had three Technics SLP1200 players, all different configurations, none of them were bright and harsh either, although I grant you they are not strictly first gen machines, but they do date from 1987 which was still early days for digital.

Why would a format with effectively zero distortion and a ruler flat frequency response be responsible for a sound that is bright and harsh? It makes no logical sense. I'm not disputing want anyone hears, I have heard it myself, plenty of times. But it was always the result of the partnering equipment.

That's not to say that you can't buy a cd player that sounds genuinely poor, regardless of the system. I've heard a couple but they were bargain basement plastic fantastic efforts, not serious hi-fi components.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast