+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Greetings from Bearsden!

I'm Michael.

Default Greetings from Bearsden!

Hi All

My name is Michael from Bearsden here in Bonnie Scotland and have been asked to introduce myself before I can post anything in the forum!

I caught the HiFi bug when my parents bought me a music center (anyone remember them?) for my 15th birthday many many years ago. It was totally Low Fi but it though it was great until I happen to hear my friend's dad separates of Pioneer turntable, amp, cassette and speaker set up. It sounded so much than my music center and for the next few years I saved up my money from my Saturday job and finally 5 years later in the mid 1970's I managed to save enough money to buy a second hand Thorens TD125 with Grace Arm, Micro Acoustic 2002e cartridge, Sugden C51 / P51 pre/power and Celef PE1 speakers, To my ears this sounded like heaven but during my time studying at University I took a part time job on a Saturday working in a hifi shop which made me realize that my system could be improved! My part time job allowed me to hear the latest equipment without having to buy them. Over the next two decades I slowly transformed my system into a Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok arm and Supex moving coil, Sudgen AU51 pre-amp, Nakamichi PA-3 Status power amp and AR LST monitor speakers which I still use today.
    Like most people I succumbed to CD and bought myself a Marantz CD-94 which sounded very vinyl-like and I used for many, many years until the tray stopped working! At this point I went a bit mad and replaced it with a TAG McLaren DVD32R transport with a Meridian 203 Bitsteam DAC. This sounds even better than the Marantz ever did but after not upgrading my system for about 10 years I have suffered a relapse and am getting the HiFi urge again to replace my DAC which is getting a bit long in the tooth for something better!
    With this in mind I decided to join up to see if anyone could help me. There are so many DAC's on the market and have seen a few on Ebay which look interesting but as most do not seem to be sold in Glasgow, cannot hear them. The DAC's in question are Perpetual Technologies P-3A, M2Tech Young, Musical Fidelity M1, Moodlab Concept Non Oversampling,Heed Audio Dactilus III DACs. Has anyone any experience with any of these or are there even better ones out there than you would recommend?
    I like listening to both to LPs an CDs and like most music including, Jazz, Classic, Rock and Pop (and others!) and live to listen to Get It On... with Bryan Burnett on Radio Scotland week days between 6:30 to 9pm. Great mix of music both old and new!

Cheers!

I'm Geoff.

Hello Michael. Welcome to AOS.

So you use a set of LST speakers? Good for you! I've not seen any for about thirty years, very nice to have.

I'd not be in too much of a hurry to move on from the Meridian DAC, like quite a few older DAC's, it's a good sounding unit.

I'm sure if you ask questions in our 'Digital Expressions' section, you'll get plenty of opinions on DAC's from members.

There's plenty going on here and it's a friendly place, so just get stuck in and chat with us all.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Hi Michael, welcome to the forum. A few guys here have had a young dac and a few still do. Ive had a PT and a MF dac before and heard the young many times, which I would say was better. Bearsden eh?; think I once sold a car to a guy from there.(only time I was ever there). Enjoy
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread