+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An Eclipse

I'm Rob.

Default An Eclipse

I've heard and been beguiled by Fujitsu Eclipse TD712z speakers at two Bristol Hi-Fi shows.

So when @daws0n put a pair of the smaller TD508 MKII on sale recently I couldn't resist the opportunity of getting my hands on them.

To be honest, I was thinking I would either have them for a short while and then sell them on or perhaps have them replace the Heybrook HB1s I have in my home office. I wasn't expecting to be seriously considering having them replace my Spendor S3/5R2 speakers.

When I first put them into my system, I was a little confused by the result. It didn't sound right. I listened to a few albums with them in place and then went to bed. The next day I put the Spendors back in, listened to some of the same albums again. Then I put the Eclipses in again, and they've stayed in place since.

Swapping between the two identified the difference between the two. And it's timing.

Both are small speakers, that concentrate on presenting a detailed uncoloured sound. Both have limited bass (I have a sub-woofer to add in more bass when I miss it too much ) So a lot is the same. If anything the Eclipses are slightly sharper at imaging.

So how does the timing differ between the two.

Well with the Spendors the music feels as a whole. The details of each instrument are clear and I can easily follow each through each piece of music, but the overall effect is that all the instruments are travelling together though the music. The results is lovely - The Spendors have given me hours of pleasure, and I fell in love with them the moment I heard them.

With the Eclipses it's like each instrument has its own line through the music. On initial listening, it's can sound wrong. But the more I listen, the more I like it.

If I was to summarise the difference between the two it's that the Spendors travel the sweetest path through the music, whereas the Eclipse produces a more warts and all presentation, which often (though not always) results in what sounds like a more real experience.

Currently, I'm thinking of keeping both sets of speakers and alternating them. I really can't decide which I most want to live with in the longer term. Eventually, I want to get bigger alternatives. I have been dreaming of getting some larger BBC style speakers (Larger Spendor classics, Harbeths or Grahams), but now I wonder whether the next speakers with be some Eclipse TD712z.

So in some ways the Eclipses have given me a problem - I now have more speakers than systems to connect them to. But its a good problem, and one I'm thoroughly enjoying having.
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Martin.

Interesting speaker. Uses a fibreglass full range driver. Not surprised it sounds a lot different to the Spendors.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dawson.

Nice write up Rob, glad to hear you like them. I think you've described what makes them special - I too was a little sceptical of their presentation for a while, but once you adjust to their presentation their qualities shine through. I did wonder how much of their speed and fluidity can be attributed to single full range drivers in general, or with the speaker suspension / enclosure design... This video is really worth a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngn7edffuDA

Now I have put a set of traditional 2-ways in their place the sound muddy and boomy in comparison - I do rather miss the beautiful mid-range and will be looking out for a set of bigger eclipses also!

It's a shame they are somewhat of a niche product as they produce sound like no other speaker I have heard... I believe their "time domain" theory is patented, I wonder how many other designers would use it if opportunity allowed?

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by daws0n View Post
    Nice write up Rob, glad to hear you like them. I think you've described what makes them special - I too was a little sceptical of their presentation for a while, but once you adjust to their presentation their qualities shine through. I did wonder how much of their speed and fluidity can be attributed to single full range drivers in general, or with the speaker suspension / enclosure design... This video is really worth a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngn7edffuDA

Now I have put a set of traditional 2-ways in their place the sound muddy and boomy in comparison - I do rather miss the beautiful mid-range and will be looking out for a set of bigger eclipses also!

It's a shame they are somewhat of a niche product as they produce sound like no other speaker I have heard... I believe their "time domain" theory is patented, I wonder how many other designers would use it if opportunity allowed?

I fancied these as well for my study system as an alternative to my little Tannoy DC6's but did the measurements and wasn't sure they'd fit in the small space I have in there. I've enjoyed them at shows where the clarity - which exists without shrillness that often passes for clarity in 'high end' setups (ribbon tweeters and solid state amps can give this effect - ugh) - has always impressed.

A less substantial presentation to my normal Tannoys (of whatever size), these aim to satisfy the ears rather than engage the whole body. But there's a definite place for them I think. Like the new Hecos in the Pure Sound trade thread, this is a modern take on single driver that finds technological ways to avoid the compromises in older single driver designs. Highly commendable.

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by daws0n View Post
    Thanks for the link Dawson. Very interesting.
    Rob.