+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My System, where I was and 1 year on.... Damn this expensive desease!!

I'm John.

Default My System, where I was and 1 year on.... Damn this expensive desease!!

As stated in my welcome post I'm a born again audiophile, Having originally contracted this "expensive desease" in 1987, during a visit to a neighbour. (Mr Richard Motson you have a lot to answer for!!) where I listened a Planar 3, A&R A60 and I think it was warfedale diamonds or maybe a small pair of Linns??.
    Anyway a few months later off I went to Freetime Audio in Portsmouth and purchased my first proper hifi, which consisted of:
    Manticore Mantra, with A&R P77mg
    Rotel RA810A and Celestion DL6, Sennhieser SL414 headphones, with Target stands and 3 tier rack.

I still have the Mantra (photo 1) though it now languishes under my bed, (In its original box) and the Sennhiesers, which were a waste of money as they've probably had about 5 hours use in 30 years.

A few additions and upgrades in the intervening years; binning the 2.5mm T&E for Mission solid core then QED original Bi-wire. Changing from the Rotel & DL6s to Cambridge Audio C50 + A50 with 0.5M Monster cable IC and ArCam Alpha 2s, I also added a Sansuii T500L Tuner and a Sony TC-FX150 cassette deck. A CDP finally snuck into the mix in late 94, a Technics SL-PG440, then in 2001 I swapped the Alpha 2s for Kef Cresta 3s and added an RB300 to the Mantra.
    With the tuner and cassette deck long gone and the Technics CDP finally expiring in March Last year after 22 years of sterling service, and the C50/A50 combo becoming temprimental, I had a small splurge on eBay to keep costs down. So picked a full set of Cambridge Audio 500 series kit. C500, 2x A500, D500SE, DAB500, T500, all for around £400

This small spending spree on slighty more modern, and to me atleast, better sounding kit, had, unfortunately whet my appetite once more. So following the demise of an elderly Uncle last May and the subsequent receipt of an inheritence, I decided I would move up from the Budget hifi kit I was used to, into what was originally planned as the "mid-range". I of course made some big mistakes in my purchases as I knew nothing about most of the new modern brands so stupidly used my 80s brand knowledge. My first purchase in mid August after some research and deciding my max budget for speakers, was a pair of B&W 683 S2. I then decided I needed better amplification, and using my 80s brand knowledge bought from fleaBay a Linn Wakonda and a Pair of LK140s, well Linn was supposed to be good (well back then atleast).
    Also having bought a Cambridge CXC transport I needed a DAC and consequently bought a heavily modified DacMagic plus from Fleabay.

About 3 weeks after installing the Linns I was offered a pair of Tag Maclaren 125M monoblocs, which I didnt like at first but on putting the Linns back in I relised how shite they were, and how good the TAGs really were. The TAGS were detailed, and neutral, as opposed to thin and screachy like the Linns. Anyway I decided I ought to do something about the Wakonda aswell and duly purchased an Icon audio LA4 mk1 and Cambridge 551P for MM duties, and moved the Linn kit to pastures new.

So here's my setup as of September 2016

In October, besides scoring a 2nd pair of 125Ms, I had a real piece of luck, I had gone to a local carboot sale and was perusing records on a stall full of the usual tat, when I spotted a really tired 70s cheapo Jap record deck with something rather special attached to it. It was ovious the stallholder didnt have a clue, when having spotted me looking at it she said " it works love, we've even fitted a 'New Needle' how much do you want for it says I. Fifteen quid she says. Ive never got my wallet out so quickly, having paid for it I promptly ripped the arm off it, chucked the deck under her table and got my multi-tool and removed the 'New Needle' and then threw the cheap plastic arm under the table aswell.

And what was this 'New Needle' I picked up for £15 I hear you ask, It was A Hana SL complete with sylus guard.

Only one problem the 551P is MM only so after a hunt round, in came an Icon Audio PS1.2SE, Also at this time I decided to move up the TT ladder so in came the OL Aurora gold Mk2 with upgraded motor, Ultra PSU and Transformer + Ecounter 3C. Damn this system is the dogs danglies me thinks, and being on the WAM at the time decided to host a bake off in mid November. People also brought their kit along to build a rig in my 2nd lounge, and near the end of the day some nice kind soul plugged their Araurasound Vida into my system. BUGGER!! I so whish I hadn't heard it, so of I go trawling eBay and the forum classifieds looking for something a bit special to replace the 1.2SE. Having built a shortlist I decided to ring Jamie (BatteredHaggis) who had attended my BO to see which of my shortlist he thought would be my best option. It was then explained to me that the 1.2SE was a good PS and capable of far more, it was my speakers that where letting the side down, as the components preceding them where far better than the speakers.
    I mentioned that I had seen a pair of Usher Dancer Mini2s in the classifieds that I thought were gorgeous, Jamie said that I should go for them if I had the ££s as I would not regret it as they were great speakers. This then saw me drive all the way to Cardiff and back on the Wednesday between Xmas & New year to collect these Beauties.

I had a 2nd BO in February, and sure enough my PS defended itself very well against some stiff competition, but another fly landed in the ointment when a Modwright 36.5 got plugged in, and whilst my pre wasn't that far behind to my ears it showed how veiled my LA4 was. About a week later, at my request a friend brought over his Acoustic Research SP26, and without the distraction of loads of people in the room I was more able to hear the LA4s shortcomings. I therefore reverted to plugging the 1.2SE direct into the TAGs for vinyl duties.

Now whilst I had decided I had spent more than enough money over the last 6 months, (who hasn't said that at some point during their audiophilia) in the same week as listening to wizmaxs SP26 I had the opportunity to audition not 1 but 2 components. Speedracer was in possesion of an Icon Audio PS3.SE which he had on loan from the seller, and there was a MasterSound PHL5 v1 pre, for sale locally, which the seller was happy to bring over. Needless to say neither of them made there escape from my clutches once plugged in to my system.

My system, up until 3 weeks ago.

I pretty much thought that was going to be that apart from maybe upgrading my cart when something came along at a cheeky price, but no. Being a bit bored one night I went on fleaBay and had a quick skim through a few items from specific brands I like, and, up popped something I never thought I would be able to afford at this point in time. I had never heard them, but for the last year they had been on my LUST List. There they were, viciously tempting me and they were only 30 miles away A pair of Icon Audio MB845 mk1s, I just had to go and listen to them to see if the matched up to the reviews and hype. The following morning saw me driving off to Hifi Hangar in Bordon for an audition, and YES, they sounded superb, and more than justified their reputation and reviews. Okay so I hadn't heard them in my system and my room, but at the price he was asking I knew I couldn't lose if I needed to move them on, so naturally I had to have them. Another bonus, something I didn't know at the time of purchase, was that these weren't the ordinary vanilla 845s, on checking the paperwork when boxing them up I discovered these had the full upgrades added taking them to 845SE spec.

My system as it now stands (23/9/17) and will hopefully remain for a good while.

Well I say hopefully I would like a better cart.
    Last edited by Lurch; 23-09-2017 at 19:43. Reason: Trying to get bloody photos to show
    Money may not make me happy.
    But it helps me afford the kind of misery I prefer.

SYSTEM 1:

Analogue.
    Brinkmann Bardo / 12" OL Enterprise Mk4 / Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum /BigBottle mk3 /MFA Baby Reference Pre/Nord One UP SE NC500M/Martin Logan Summit

Digital.
    Docet Lector CDP-7TL mkiii/Pimped Bluesound Node2 + BOTW SBooster Lps/ Pimped Mk1 Jolida Fx Glass DAC.

Wires etc.
    Audioplan Musicable ICs & TQ Black ll SC, assorted branded kettle leads.
    Target TT shelf & Alphason 5 shelf rack.
    Power Inspired AG1500S mains regen.

SYSTEM 2: Back to the 80s.

Garrard 401, RB250, A&R P77Mg / Mk1 Marantz CD63 SE / Sony TC-FX150 / Sansui T500L / Cambridge Audio C50 + 2x A50 as bridged monos (mid 80s Stan Curtis's design) / or KEF 104ab/ Original 80s Monster Cable IC, DNM SC / Target 5 shelf rack.

SPARE KIT:
    A&R E77Mg
    Ortofon 2M Silver + Blue stylus
    Philips CD600
    Arcam Alpha 8P
    Pro-Ject DacBox S FL
    CCA
    FiiO Taishan
    Heybrook HB1 S2
    Q Acoustics 3050

I'm Adrian.

I am not alone. Thank God, although I have always given serious thought to the kit that's come into the house. Luckily my choices have been for the better - but having just bought the Tannoys there's a rather nice Reed arm winging it's way from Hugo next month, and a second cartridge..... oh dear...
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Martin.

Sigh!! This really does echo the search for good sound
    A fascinating read. Really envy the 845 mono's and the Usher
    If it were me I would consider a more capable T/T to better bring out what your arm and cartridge can do................
    Then buy lots of music and enjoy!
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

I'm gone.

Interesting read.
    Yes, good advice from Jamie - I bet the Ushers showed the B&W a clean pair of heels!

Those Icon 845 monos would look seriously sexy without the cages - is it impractical to take them off? Kids, dogs etc?

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Interesting read.
    Yes, good advice from Jamie - I bet the Ushers showed the B&W a clean pair of heels!

Those Icon 845 monos would look seriously sexy without the cages - is it impractical to take them off? Kids, dogs etc?
    IMO, Thankfully the 845 monos look great with or without the cages on. Personally, those 'glass glowers' are just too exposed not covered up / protected and an accident waiting to happen .... 'privenshan betta dan cure son' as my darling mum says
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm John.

A better TT is on my wish list, but with the level of upgrades on my current one, that puts me into OL Sovereign/Avid Acutus territory, and my wallet is currently residing in intensive care (high dependency unit).

And yes Jerry, the Ushers did show the B&Ws a clean pair of heels. Infact at the February BO, someone said that when they came to my 1st BO people were looking around to see where I kept the geese, as apparently the 683s were 'honking' at them.

As to the question of, to cage or not to cage the 845s, I have no restrictions by way of kids or pets, and like both looks, so change it according to my mood.

I'm Retief.

Haha good to read I'm not the only one suffering from audiophilia, quite a journey you've been through! Our stories have a few parallels: I also started with a Cambridge Audio and B&W based system and after many detours, ended up with a system largely based on an Origin Live front end, Audio Note cart,AN pre (replaced an IA LA4mk2), AN phono (replaced a Croft RIAA R) and AN Dac, and Harbeth 40.1's driven by Icon Audio mb845 SE.

Your deck is a good one, but if you had an itch to scratch I would look out for the Resolution mk2, OL still sells them off on Ebay every now and then. Mine is upgraded to the gills with the new motor, power supply, balanced transformer, bearing and the new platter you will find on the latest Sovereign. All these upgrades were worthwhile and Mark Baker said that my deck is very very close to the latest Sovereign mk3.2. Of all the changes I made, the most surprising and unexpectedly massive improvement was by changing from an Encounter 3C arm to the Conqueror 3C, it was truly staggering. I would do this before changing the cart if I were you. Either way, give Mark at OL a call, he is always frank and genuine with his advice IME. There is a relatively new 12" Conqueror 3C for sale on the Wam for a very good price. Just saying... ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Retief
    Analogue: Origin Live Resolution mk2,OL Encounter mk3c,MM III and isolator.Digital:CA 840C.Amplification:Croft RIAA R, Icon Audio LA4mkii,Icon Audio MB845 signature version.Speakers: Kef Reference 203/2 Cables: Mark Grant G2000HD. Speaker cable Van Damme Hi-Fi UP-LCOFC.Headphone: Grado PS1000,HD650,HD600,Icon Audio HP8 RCM DIY Moth

+ Reply to Thread