Closed Thread
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: Passive preamp buzzing?

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Yes... but I can see Jez is becoming more and more agitated.. so I don't want this thread to carry on in a nasty way.. the 3WD thread is a lighter thread.

I don't like the word 'T**T'... To me it's very offensive and very innopropriate for his post. Swearing won't solve anything, it just degrades the posters perceived intelligence. I've asked nicely for him to remove it... that's all I asked.

I think Jez is one hell of a clever guy, and therefore I totally expect him to execute more control over his post.

I hope that answers your question.
    i didnt ask a question,but thanks for your reply.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    I don't like the word 'T**T'... To me it's very offensive and very innopropriate for his post. Swearing won't solve anything, it just degrades the posters perceived intelligence. I've asked nicely for him to remove it... that's all I asked.
    It's not swearing, as such, just what used to be called 'bad language'. Bad language is a strange thing anyway. I got flak from a bloke on ANOther forum for using the word 'shit', even though it was a quote from a song lyric and not aimed at anyone personally.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Ok folks, Jez has been banned for publishing the contents of a Private Message, without the sender's permission (as evidenced on his last post), which is something we take a very dim view of here. Private means Private.

And since he has chosen to publish the contents of the PM I sent him, which in the circumstances were perfectly reasonable, the thread has been locked. Plus, in all honesty, it's run its course. Anyway, I'll be responding shortly to Jez's remarks, to sum things up, and that'll bring an end to the matter.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    It's news to me if that's foul language.. people use the F word and worse on here and this is the first time I've seen such a comment. Marco got his SS out now eh...
    Jo's actions had nothing whatsoever to do with me. Mods here act on their own judgement, so if she considered that your language was offensive and chose to warn you over it, then that was entirely her decision. You may wish to consider, however, the inappropriateness of the term "twat" to someone who's female.

After a bang out of order PM I got from Marco yesterday (No I won't be talking to you on the phone tomorrow Marco) I shall very likely be moving to another forum and ending all activity at AOS.
    We'll deal with the "bang out of order PM" in a minute. No phone call will be necessary now, as you've been banned for publishing the contents of a private message, although I have nothing to hide, hence why it's not been removed.

A fait accompli anyway as I'll no doubt get banned for speaking my mind here and that's basically the problem. Marco. Nothing else. Too much of the "it's my ball" attitude... telling people to back down or else all the time just because opinions different to his own personal opinion are being expressed...
    You have an uncanny ability to either not read what's been written, or only reading what you want to read! There has never been any problem with me tolerating different opinions to my own, *providing* on how those opinions were expressed.

AoS has been going now for nearly 10 years, during which time I've been involved in many 100s of debates, on all manner of subjects, and some very robust ones too, with a whole variety of different people, where at the end the majority of those with diametrically opposed views to mine have 'lived to tell the tale', as it were, and remained as members.

So what was the key to their 'survival'?

Well, although we strongly disagreed on the subjects debated, none of them felt the need to TELL me what I can hear, and what I can't, as dictated by a blinkered objectivist's notion that, in hi-fi, one's 'science book' knows ALL. That was your mantra, and also Thebiglebowski's (now also banned for the ridiculous personal insults he made, which have been deleted), and coming on here with absolutist statements such as:

Quote Originally Posted by Thebiglebowski
    RCA performs well above the requirements for audio and using BNC would not improve the sound quality. Your use of 'best' is nothing but your interpretation that something more complicated or expensive is better.
    Have you any idea how condescending that last bit comes across in particular? That's not what I think, for starters, and so he had no right to judge me in that way. Those who know me, will know that thinking "expensive is better" is fundamentally NOT what I'm about. I'm an 'SPPV' guy, so he was way off beam there, and simply showing his ignorance.

As for "more complicated", again that's simply untrue. I'm known for, whenever possible, Keeping Things, Simple, Stupid (the K.I.S.S principle), and advocating it accordingly. However, if something needs to be a little more complicated, in order to give better results, then I'll simply do whatever is necessary. All I care about, ultimately, is achieving the best performance from any item that makes up my system, and connectors are simply a small part of that.

Now, let's look at his (even more) absolutist statement of: "BNC would not improve the sound quality". Well perhaps not, but if that proved to be the case, I wanted to discover it for myself, using MY own ears, and by forming MY own conclusions, not be told so in such an arrogant manner, by someone who thinks that they have a right to dictate to me like that.

And that's why Thebiglebowski got such short shrift. It wasn't because his opinions were different from mine; it was because he didn't think I was entitled to one on Phonos Vs. BNCs, had already concluded the outcome, and was effectively telling me that was an end to the matter! That sort of arrogance, I simply will not stand for, and it's something you've also frequently been guilty of since you've been a member of AoS.

I don't want to part of a forum in which the owner thinks it's ok to say:

"Quote Originally Posted by Thebiglebowski View Post
    Nope, BNC was designed for high frequency use and delivers no advantages at audio freqs.
    For goodness sake, does anyone actually READ what I write??

I'm not talking about its performance at audio frequencies, or anything like that, I'm talking about its mechanical inferiority compared with a BNC!

Has it sunk in now?

RCA performs well above the requirements for audio and using BNC would not improve the sound quality. Your use of 'best' is nothing but your interpretation that something more complicated or expensive is better.
    Well, your absolutist statement is no better or more valid than Jez's...

That *may* prove to be the case, but in terms of what *I* think on the matter, it'll be ME who's deciding that or not, not you, and forming my opinion accordingly. So don't come on here TELLING me what the result will be of something I test, as you'll receive very short shrift.

This is a staunchly subjectivist forum, and so ultimately we trust our ears here, above all else, and that's how it will remain!

Marco."
    What, you don't want to be part of a forum where the owner robustly defends his right to have an opinion, without being conceitedly told the outcome of a test between two connectors, before that test had even taken place?? And you wonder why that pissed me off? You must understand I don't give two hoots that either you or Big LB don't think BNCs will sound better or are superior to RCAs, in terms of their mechanical integrity, and have TOLD me so - I need to find that out for MYSELF!

You just don't 'get', thus are never able to acknowledge, the fact that no-one here has the right to TELL anyone what they will hear, or won't, with ANY aspect of hi-fi. You're not qualified to do that, and neither was Big LB, simply because it doesn't fit with your objectivist dogma. Your job is to build equipment, not to tell people what they can or cannot hear.

In terms of the bit in bold, above, I totally stand by that statement. AoS is a staunchly subjectivist forum, predominantly populated by subjectivists. Objectivists are welcome, but they MUST RESPECT OUR ETHOS, and bear that in mind when making their contributions. That is something you NEVER did. "Speaking your mind", Jez, doesn't give you carte blanche simply to be blinkered and dogmatic, or just plain rude.

Did you read what AoS was about before you came here? If so, the 'ultimately trust our ears' mantra shouldn't have come to you as a shock!!

or this:

"Because I won't be rudely ignored like that. Therefore, when I ask someone what I consider is an important question, especially when it involves them telling me I'm supposedly wrong, I expect them to have the courtesy to reply and explain.

Normally, I wouldn't be so insistent, but Jez seems to be under the misapprehension that he can come onto threads, make absolutist statements like he did, and there will be no repercussions. I'm afraid he's in cloud-cuckoo land if he does!

Marco."
    Well again, it's quite simple: you chose to have a dig at me, by telling me I was wrong about plugs (leaving aside for the moment that you completely misjudged what you thought I was wrong about, because you'd misunderstood the point I was making), and then ran off and refused to qualify why.

Did you HONESTLY expect to get away with that unchallenged?

If so, then you *were* deluding yourself, and so the 'cloud-cuckoo land' comment was entirely apt! Furthermore, I consider it rude not to answer someone, when it's patently clear that the question they're seeking an answer to is important to them, which is why you were pulled up about it. I'm sorry, but I don't like being so rudely ignored.

Worse still here's the PM I received:

[Details as before]
    Firstly, what on earth possessed you into thinking that it was perfectly ok to publish a private message I'd sent you, without my permission?

Not that I have anything to hide, but that ably shows just how lacking you were in any kind of sensitivity towards others, or even basic self-awareness, in terms of knowing how to act appropriately or responsibly on a forum, otherwise you'd have known that was bad form (and also an instantly ban-able offence)!

So, you carry on regardless and publish my PM, in a futile attempt to paint me as the bad guy. Well, once again, I stand by every word I wrote in that message and don't regret any of it, because it simply states facts.

It wasn't working Jez, and indeed hasn't been for some time, despite all the chances you've been given to try and fit in, by RESPECTING the fact that this is primarily a subjectivist forum, and that as such, the majority of the membership will ultimately trust their ears, regardless of what you think to the contrary.

Unfortunately, you could just never 'get' that fact, and that you TELLING people (whilst often simultaneously insulting them), by referring to ancillary items they use in their system as "foo", "fairies at the end of the garden", or them themselves as "plonkers who think valves are automatically better", with their perfectly valid subjective views dismissed as "hogwash" - I could go on - will achieve precisely the sum total of nothing, other than aggravating them.

It was condescending and disrespectful in the extreme, but despite being warned, time and time again that your behaviour was unacceptable, you kept on going like a bull in a China shop, showing absolutely no consideration for others, as long as you got to 'slap down' those you thought were deluded, and felt 'superior' for it.

You might get away with that behaviour elsewhere, but not on AoS, where we *demand* that people are automatically treated with civility, no matter how much you may disagree with someone and think that they're talking crap, simply because hi-fi opinions aside, they're still human beings and deserve not to be ridiculed, just because their views don't align with the 'facts' contained in your precious science books...

So long and thanks for the fish...
    Well, you certainly took the "fish" I offered, when you were banned from the pink forum of the same name, and were at rock bottom with nowhere to trade and hardly two pennies to rub together, and with your reputation in tatters - and I allowed you to trade here free for 12 months, in order to help you repair your reputation and rebuild your business, and have shown me little thanks since.

All the 'thanks' I got was the grief you've given me (and the mod team) during your time here, with your arrogant dogma and lack of sensitivity towards others, who haven't signed up to your scientific belief system.

Amongst that, however, there have been nuggets of genuine help you've offered to members, and the imparting of some valuable knowledge, because despite our differences I think you're a talented audio designer, certainly know your stuff around electronics, and you make some great gear. I fully recognise all of that.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that isn't enough if the person who has those skills simply isn't able (or willing) to treat people with due respect and civility. That is why, despite trying my level best to find a way of making your presence here work [and BOY did others and I try, especially Anthony], it was ultimately doomed to fail, because in the final analysis, your personality simply wasn't compatible with the core values of AoS.

Anyway, I'm sorry it didn't work out in the longterm, and I wish you well for the future.

I hope you can find another forum to post on, where you're both able to co-exist harmoniously with the owner, and there is an audience who appreciates your knowledge and experience, and can handle your 'quirks', as well as continuing to build and maintain a successful business, because I do believe that beneath all that arrogance and ego, there exists a good heart

Good luck! Over and out.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Closed Thread
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829