Closed Thread
Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Passive preamp buzzing?

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Well, if that's the case, then why bother engaging me like that, as it's not liable to go anywhere...

I wasn't necessarily talking about sonically; I was thinking more technically, as in if XLRs or Cannons offered a more reliable/durable connection, simply due to their physical construction.

And that still doesn't address the matter of why RCAs have become commonplace on home audio equipment, instead of the likes of the above.

I'm afraid that Jez can't just jump onto threads, imply that I'm wrong, and then when asked to explain, ignore me. If that's what's going to happen, then he should just ignore what I've written in the first place!

Marco.
    There is more support for the use of different connections both sonically and technically. SMA connections and pre made cables being muted as preferable to anything hifi due to their extensive use for RF

Looks like an interesting experiment for someone!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    In went the AVC and to my delight, that soundscape remains but with true to life tone. True as in what I hear at home on the guitar is what I hear on the record.
    Glad you're enjoying the AVC. It's a good bit of kit, but are you saying that it offers the same "open window" effect or "rez" (to coin a phrase from Jerry), as the GP? If so, that's an area where we'll have to differ, as I thought the GP was markedly better in that area.

As you know, hi-fi is all about trade-offs; it's rare that you get your cake AND eat it, so you may have to trade some "rez"/'open-window effect' for accurate tone and leading-edge definition, in your quest for the 'ultimate' preamp

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

SMA connections and pre made cables being muted as preferable to anything hifi due to their extensive use for RF
    Sorry mate, I don't understand what you mean

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Bigman80 Guest

These are highly rated on the internet for use in audio

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bigman80 Guest

Glad you're enjoying the AVC. It's a good bit of kit, but are you saying that it offers the same "open window" effect or "rez" (to coin a phrase from Jerry), as the GP? If so, that's an area where we'll have to differ, as I thought the GP was markedly better in that area.

As you know, hi-fi is all about trade-offs; it's rare that you get your cake AND eat it, so you may have to trade some "rez"/'open-window effect' for accurate tone and leading-edge definition, in your quest for the 'ultimate' preamp

Marco.
    Yes mate, the GP had higher resolution but the AVC is not far behind. The tonal accuracy is a larger difference. It's a difficult choice. One I won't make in a hurry!

These are highly rated on the internet for use in audio

Ah I see... It was you writing "being muted", rather than 'mooted', that threw me!

Jez still needs to answer my question, though.

Marco.
    Main System

Bigman80 Guest

Ah I see... It was your "being muted", rather than 'mooted', that threw me!

Marco.
    Oh, lol sorry I've been up very early after very little sleep hahaha.

Heh-heh... I was trying to work out how connectors could 'mute' anything. Don't worry, I'm not awake yet myself (had a late listening sesh until nearly 2am this morning)!

Marco.
    Main System

Bigman80 Guest

Ha, sound like fun mate, I finished work at 22:00 and was back in at 07:30 for 12 hours. Knackered.

I'm John.

I suspect Jez was a) at the pub so didn't reply and b) meaning that balanced connection offers no advantages over single ended in a domestic situation.

I also agree with Jimbo's assessment of passive and active preamps. I added a little Yaqin valve buffer to my Alps black passive and found the extra body I was looking for albeit at the expense of some of the passive's virtues. Still preferable though and more enjoyable than any active's I've heard to date.

The problem with active preamps is getting a good one at a reasonable price. I can't understand why they are so expensive, the component costs are tiny compared to say an equally priced valve power amp.

Never heard a TVC or AVC

Closed Thread
Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast