Closed Thread
Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Passive preamp buzzing?

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    It'll be a whole different ball game mate. Basic passives can have their uses, but after using an AVC or TVC, I don't think you'll be wanting to go back.

I had one extremely good TVC, a MingDa MC-9, which sounds stunning with the two Monarchy Audio power-amps and my buddy has just given me another, a Promitheus, for which I'm very grateful, as it suits the Quad 306 rather well (vastly underrated power-amp the 306, a little gem! ).

Something may have to go though. That's six pre-amps here now! Trouble is, I like 'em all
    Yes, I am sure it will give me food for thought. So will sleeping in the doghouse if I decide I can't live without it lol.

Seriously, I completely underated the importance of the preamp in a system, Like Jez, believing it couldn't make much difference. I was wrong.

Spoke to Al, the Jolida shouldn't have any issues with the new caps. He has a copy of the circuit diagrams too. All is good.

BTW they are aluminium and oil Mundorf Evos.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Yes, I am sure it will give me food for thought. So will sleeping in the doghouse if I decide I can't live without it lol.

Seriously, I completely underated the importance of the preamp in a system, Like Jez, believing it couldn't make much difference. I was wrong.

Spoke to Al, the Jolida shouldn't have any issues with the new caps. He has a copy of the circuit diagrams too. All is good.

BTW they are aluminium and oil Mundorf Evos.

Each to their own but personally I don't think there's any difference worth noting between decent quality passive attenuators. They do sound better than a typical pot though in my experience. I also wouldn't use a TVC personally. Any "improvement" they may bring will be due to added colourations and I want my sound accurate above "nice".
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Each to their own but personally I don't think there's any difference worth noting between decent quality passive attenuators. They do sound better than a typical pot though in my experience. I also wouldn't use a TVC personally. Any "improvement" they may bring will be due to added colourations and I want my sound accurate above "nice".
    Is that a definite or general consensus? I'm a blank canvas as I've never tried one.

I'm Martin.

Is that a definite or general consensus? I'm a blank canvas as I've never tried one.

No, there's as much debate about this as with everything else. On paper a stepped attenuator passive is the most 'truthful'. But not completely so. And then you have personal taste on what you want the sound to be like. As Jez said earlier, the Slagle passive enhanced leading edges a little compared to the others. This could be colouration or the truth, hard to say without listening to a wider variety of recordings than we did. If you have too much colouration some recordings are enhanced, some become unlistenable. That's when you've gone wrong. If you can get it sounding how you want it without falling into that trap, you've cracked it.

I've not cracked it yet.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    No, there's as much debate about this as with everything else. On paper a stepped attenuator passive is the most 'truthful'. But not completely so. And then you have personal taste on what you want the sound to be like. As Jez said earlier, the Slagle passive enhanced leading edges a little compared to the others. This could be colouration or the truth, hard to say without listening to a wider variety of recordings than we did. If you have too much colouration some recordings are enhanced, some become unlistenable. That's when you've gone wrong. If you can get it sounding how you want it without falling into that trap, you've cracked it.

I've not cracked it yet.
    That's encouraging and disheartening at the same time lol.

I've started to realise that in reality the only truth out there is listening to it live at busking level etc. Once recording equipment gets involved its all moving away from the truth. Think I'm gonna focus on getting a realistic sound that I'm confident sounds as clear and transparent as possible. Other than that, i think we're on a hiding to nothing. If I like what I hear, I can't be wrong.

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    ... Not sure that 'shunt' resistors are in the signal path in an attenuator, they just take gain away and alter the loads as seen by the source at the input and power amp at the output...
    I think this should be the last time I say this or else I'll get a reputation for banging on about it:
    A potential divider (that's what a passive preamp is) simply puts the source voltage across two (or more) resistors in series. The ratio of the two resistances determines the two voltages you will get - one voltage across one resistor, the other voltage across the other resistor. Given two equal resistors you will get two equal voltages. Given, say, a 9k resistor and a 1k resistor you will get 10% of the source voltage across one resistor and 90% of the source voltage across the other. The source's signal voltage splits across the two resistors and the signal current flows through both.
    How can one resistor not be in the signal path?

As Jez said earlier, the Slagle passive enhanced leading edges a little compared to the others. This could be colouration or the truth, hard to say without listening to a wider variety of recordings than we did. If you have too much colouration some recordings are enhanced, some become unlistenable.
    Putting a signal through a transformer sometimes produces overshoot on transients, clearly seen on a square wave.

This has the effect of apparently enhancing detail on simple music but as you rightly point out can make busy music sound very confused. Overshoot is actually well-damped ringing. Poorly damped ringing is worse and looks like this:

I'm Martin.

That's encouraging and disheartening at the same time lol.

I've started to realise that in reality the only truth out there is listening to it live at busking level etc. Once recording equipment gets involved its all moving away from the truth.
    I'm saying truthful to the recording not truthful to the real thing. Hi-fi is all about being truthful to the recording. Not the live experience. That's another trap it is best not fall into. The 'flat earth' trap, that is. I've been in that one too
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Bigman80 Guest

I'm saying truthful to the recording not truthful to the real thing. Hi-fi is all about being truthful to the recording. Not the live experience. That's another trap it is best not fall into. The 'flat earth' trap, that is. I've been in that one too
    Ha, I get your point. Well, hopefully I'm on the right path. It sounds like it.

I'm Geoff.

Quite right. It's the recording that should be truthful to the real thing. The Hi-Fi just has to get on with doing its best to render the recording accurately.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Quite right. It's the recording that should be truthful to the real thing. The Hi-Fi just has to get on with doing its best to render the recording accurately.
    How do we know what accurate is. Isn't it perception

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast