Closed Thread
Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Passive preamp buzzing?

Bigman80 Guest

Default Passive preamp buzzing?

Hi all,

A Goldpoint passive pre, once the Pre owned and sold by Marco, has made it to my abode for a bit of a sample.

I have plugged it in as I do my own Passive and it's buzzing like a hive. My cables are fine, the cable dressing makes no difference and "nothing I do don't seem to work" as the mighty jagger once said.

Any ideas?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm gone.

It's probably a grounding issue with the cabling.
    Swap 'em out one by one.

I'm Geoff.

Or the turntable chassis needs earthing?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

Had no issue previous until I plugged this Goldpoint in. I'll have a look. Cheers guys.

I'm gone.

If any of the cabling is unscreened that may be an issue.

Bigman80 Guest

Oh, ok. That could be a thing.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Oliver,

Interesting... Who sold it to you?

It certainly didn't buzz when I had it. It was as silent as a graveyard. As others have said, I suspect it must be an earthing issue. Try wiggling or twisting the plugs on the contacts (with everything powered up) and see if you can stop the buzzing.

One thing you have to be careful of with the WBT sockets I fitted (as they have minimal metal on the contacts, which is how they're designed), is that the plugs on the interconnects you're using fit snugly and are making a proper connection. If not, you may cure the problem by simply changing cables for ones with plugs that 'mate' better with the WBTs.

Be interesting to find out what you think of it once you've had a proper listen

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Oliver,

Interesting... Who sold it to you?

It certainly didn't buzz when I had it. It was as silent as a graveyard. As others have said, I suspect it must be an earthing issue. Try wiggling or twisting the plugs on the contacts (with everything powered up) and see if you can stop the buzzing.

One thing you have to be careful of with the WBT sockets I fitted (as they have minimal metal on the contacts, which is how they're designed), is that the plugs on the interconnects you're using fit snugly and are making a proper connection. If not, you may cure the problem by simply changing cables for ones with plugs that 'mate' better with the WBTs.

Be interesting to find out what you think of it once you've had a proper listen

Marco.
    Hi Marco,

I didn't buy it �� it's on loan from Shaman. He's a top banana. Initial impressions are good although it's quite "coarse" sounding compared to my bog standard unit. This is probably due to the level of transparency. Vocals and top end are outrageously good. It was like I'd put a different cartridge on the TT. I suspect it's more a case of letting all the gear warm up and getting used to it a bit. Channels separation is phenomenal and the soundstage is obviously wider and deeper. Vocals a touch more forward I think my preamp is a touch more fluid but silver v copper ime can show that to be the case. All in all. It's surprising how much difference it makes.

O

I'm Paul.

With passives its almost always earthing. Defo check you're getting good connections with your cables. Also, if it's been moved around a lot and/or plugged/unplugged, might be worth checking inside that nothing has come loose. If you have a multi meter, check all the grounds are connected and that none of the signal lines are earthed (unless the volume is on zero)
    SBT/Chromecast/TEAC T1 into TEAC D-T1 DAC or olde-worlde Rega Planar 2 controlled by Rotel RC850 into HH S500D or DACT Passive Pre into Mullard 5-20 monos. Then into Tannoy Cheviots and a Wharfdale sub. All connected by colourful cables.

RothwellAudio Guest

If you turn the volume down to zero and the buzzing is still there it must be due to a fault in a cable or in the Goldpoint. At zero volume the output should be shorted to ground and therefore silent. If not, a definite fault.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast