Closed Thread
Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Passive preamp buzzing?

I'm Oliver.

Default Passive preamp buzzing?

Hi all,

A Goldpoint passive pre, once the Pre owned and sold by Marco, has made it to my abode for a bit of a sample.

I have plugged it in as I do my own Passive and it's buzzing like a hive. My cables are fine, the cable dressing makes no difference and "nothing I do don't seem to work" as the mighty jagger once said.

Any ideas?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 tonearm > ZYX R50 Bloom cartridge > Jolida JD9 MKII > Firebottle Monoblocks > Creek OBH-11SE Headphone Amp > IXOS Speaker Cables > Pioneer CS-77A Speakers

I'm Jerry.

It's probably a grounding issue with the cabling.
    Swap 'em out one by one.
    Jerry

Spotify Premium streaming, Cambridge Audio 851D DAC/pre, Nobsound NS-02G amp, MBL116F
    or
    Spotify Premium streaming, Wadia 151 PowerDAC, MBL 116F.
    or
    Spotify Premium streaming, Cambridge Audio 851D DAC/pre, Pass Labs X150 power amp, MBL 116F.
    or
    >> Currently >>Spotify Premium streaming, Cambridge Audio 851D DAC/pre, LA Audio A-30 el84 integrated amp, MBL 116F.

I'm Geoff.

Or the turntable chassis needs earthing?
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm Oliver.

Had no issue previous until I plugged this Goldpoint in. I'll have a look. Cheers guys.

Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 tonearm > ZYX R50 Bloom cartridge > Jolida JD9 MKII > Firebottle Monoblocks > Creek OBH-11SE Headphone Amp > IXOS Speaker Cables > Pioneer CS-77A Speakers

I'm Jerry.

If any of the cabling is unscreened that may be an issue.
    Jerry

Spotify Premium streaming, Cambridge Audio 851D DAC/pre, Nobsound NS-02G amp, MBL116F
    or
    Spotify Premium streaming, Wadia 151 PowerDAC, MBL 116F.
    or
    Spotify Premium streaming, Cambridge Audio 851D DAC/pre, Pass Labs X150 power amp, MBL 116F.
    or
    >> Currently >>Spotify Premium streaming, Cambridge Audio 851D DAC/pre, LA Audio A-30 el84 integrated amp, MBL 116F.

I'm Oliver.

Oh, ok. That could be a thing.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Oliver,

Interesting... Who sold it to you?

It certainly didn't buzz when I had it. It was as silent as a graveyard. As others have said, I suspect it must be an earthing issue. Try wiggling or twisting the plugs on the contacts (with everything powered up) and see if you can stop the buzzing.

One thing you have to be careful of with the WBT sockets I fitted (as they have minimal metal on the contacts, which is how they're designed), is that the plugs on the interconnects you're using fit snugly and are making a proper connection. If not, you may cure the problem by simply changing cables for ones with plugs that 'mate' better with the WBTs.

Be interesting to find out what you think of it once you've had a proper listen

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Oliver,

Interesting... Who sold it to you?

It certainly didn't buzz when I had it. It was as silent as a graveyard. As others have said, I suspect it must be an earthing issue. Try wiggling or twisting the plugs on the contacts (with everything powered up) and see if you can stop the buzzing.

One thing you have to be careful of with the WBT sockets I fitted (as they have minimal metal on the contacts, which is how they're designed), is that the plugs on the interconnects you're using fit snugly and are making a proper connection. If not, you may cure the problem by simply changing cables for ones with plugs that 'mate' better with the WBTs.

Be interesting to find out what you think of it once you've had a proper listen

Marco.
    Hi Marco,

I didn't buy it �� it's on loan from Shaman. He's a top banana. Initial impressions are good although it's quite "coarse" sounding compared to my bog standard unit. This is probably due to the level of transparency. Vocals and top end are outrageously good. It was like I'd put a different cartridge on the TT. I suspect it's more a case of letting all the gear warm up and getting used to it a bit. Channels separation is phenomenal and the soundstage is obviously wider and deeper. Vocals a touch more forward I think my preamp is a touch more fluid but silver v copper ime can show that to be the case. All in all. It's surprising how much difference it makes.

O

I'm Paul.

With passives its almost always earthing. Defo check you're getting good connections with your cables. Also, if it's been moved around a lot and/or plugged/unplugged, might be worth checking inside that nothing has come loose. If you have a multi meter, check all the grounds are connected and that none of the signal lines are earthed (unless the volume is on zero)
    SBT/Chromecast/TEAC T1 into TEAC D-T1 DAC or olde-worlde Rega Planar 2 controlled by Rotel RC850 into HH S500D or DACT Passive Pre into Mullard 5-20 monos. Then into Tannoy Cheviots and a Wharfdale sub. All connected by colourful cables.

I'm Andrew.

If you turn the volume down to zero and the buzzing is still there it must be due to a fault in a cable or in the Goldpoint. At zero volume the output should be shorted to ground and therefore silent. If not, a definite fault.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast