Closed Thread
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast

Thread: Passive preamp buzzing?

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    That's entirely correct yes.

Line level audio is a generally "non critical" use for plugs and sockets, the single most critical being the input of a phono stage for MC.

We are talking at very most a couple of mA's of current (0.002A) and voltages around 1V generally. Large contact areas and very low resistance are simply not required. The only possible issue is one of diodic contamination causing partial rectification and hence distortion but this is ruled out by using gold plated connectors that don't oxidise. It applies equally to any non gold plated connector. Simply plugging and unplugging connectors a few times, with some contact cleaner for stubborn cases, will restore normal operation anyway.

BNC's are for RF as others have said, being constant impedance coaxial connectors available as 50 and 75 Ohm. Non of the factors that make them constant impedance or low loss at RF frequencies are even applicable at audio frequencies. Contact area is even less than a phono and they are a total twat to fit and vastly more expensive than phonos.... They're such a twat to fit that I could probably fit 10 phonos in the time it would take to fit one BNC!
    As shown in bold... No need for it.. so please edit it.

Thank you.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

RothwellAudio Guest

Anyone who wants to use something other than RCA connectors is making life a bit difficult for themselves because so much equipment has RCA connectors as standard, and many of the RCAs found on commercial equipment are PCB mounted. Changing them for anything else would be a proper faff. Personally, I like cheapish RCA connectors because the contacts have some springiness which allows for the tolerance of manufacture and helps make a good connection.
    Of course, if you're prepared to modify commercial gear or you're making your own and you don't care about the convenience of being able to quickly interface with standard commercial equipment, you have a wide range of alternative connectors to choose from. BNCs wouldn't be high on my list because, as mentioned by others, they're a proper pain in the backside to wire up and restrict your options for cable.
    If you're looking for chunky connectors XLRs would be an option and you could carry both channels on one plug, but it might be wise to make it obvious that they're not wired as standard balanced connectors if anyone else will be using your gear.
    Then there are lots and lots of others available if you're prepared to go off the beaten track. Farnell have 6,600 entries under "circular industrial connectors" and 204,000 entries under "circular MIL spec equivalent connectors" - and they have plenty of other types of connectors available too!
    The idea that BNCs are "the best" doesn't sound convincing to me.

Personally, I don't think there's any advantage to using anything more fancy than RCAs - but there's a lot of inconvenience to tolerate.

I'm Geoff.

Surely obtaining good quality examples of each socket and plug type concerned and measuring conductor resistance through them when each pair are plugged together would show any advantages or disadvantages. Disregarding ease of installing, ergonomics and durabilty of course. My betting is that there'd be little or nothing in it.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    ...obtaining good quality examples of each socket and plug type concerned and measuring conductor resistance through them...
    I think you would need some very fancy measuring equipment to measure resistance as low as that.

I'm Alan.

I've got a PAT machine which puts 25A through a contact, a bit OTT for audio connectors maybe

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post

Thank you.
    you'd best not look at the 3 words daily thread then,cough cough
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post

Why wouldn't anyone want to use RG58 for interconnects? I do
    So do I, along with almost anything I can lay my hands on: RG174, RG223, URM70, ....

Since the concept of characteristic impedance has no validity at audio frequencies, you can use more or less whatever coaxial cable you like with BNCs. I disagree that BNCs are difficult to fit - they are no more difficult than RCAs.

There are some very positive fitting RCA connectors out there, just as there are some absolute dogs. The good ones use solid metal bodies (pace Marco), whereas the poor ones don't.

No one is suggesting that BNC connectors sound any better than any others (I don't believe the choice of connector, if wired properly, makes any difference to SQ), and for domestic consumer electronics RCAs are fit for purpose. It is just that professional gear which often has to be proof against rough handling and abuse is rarely, if ever, fitted with RCAs.
    Barry

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    I think you would need some very fancy measuring equipment to measure resistance as low as that.
    I have a Sullivan 666 Micro-Ohmmeter. It is a very sensitive bridge circuit using a 4-wire measurement technique with Kelvin clamps. It can measure down to 10s of nOhm (10-8 Ohm).
    Barry

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post

Thank you.
    It's news to me if that's foul language.. people use the F word and worse on here and this is the first time I've seen such a comment. Marco got his SS out now eh...
    After a bang out of order PM I got from Marco yesterday (No I won't be talking to you on the phone tomorrow Marco) I shall very likely be moving to another forum and ending all activity at AOS. A fait accompli anyway as I'll no doubt get banned for speaking my mind here and that's basically the problem. Marco. Nothing else. Too much of the "it's my ball" attitude... telling people to back down or else all the time just because opinions different to his own personal opinion are being expressed...

I don't want to part of a forum in which the owner thinks it's ok to say:

"Quote Originally Posted by Thebiglebowski View Post
    Nope, BNC was designed for high frequency use and delivers no advantages at audio freqs.
    For goodness sake, does anyone actually READ what I write??

I'm not talking about its performance at audio frequencies, or anything like that, I'm talking about its mechanical inferiority compared with a BNC!

Has it sunk in now?

RCA performs well above the requirements for audio and using BNC would not improve the sound quality. Your use of 'best' is nothing but your interpretation that something more complicated or expensive is better.
    Well, your absolutist statement is no better or more valid than Jez's...

That *may* prove to be the case, but in terms of what *I* think on the matter, it'll be ME who's deciding that or not, not you, and forming my opinion accordingly. So don't come on here TELLING me what the result will be of something I test, as you'll receive very short shrift.

This is a staunchly subjectivist forum, and so ultimately we trust our ears here, above all else, and that's how it will remain!

Marco."

or this:

"Because I won't be rudely ignored like that. Therefore, when I ask someone what I consider is an important question, especially when it involves them telling me I'm supposedly wrong, I expect them to have the courtesy to reply and explain.

Normally, I wouldn't be so insistent, but Jez seems to be under the misapprehension that he can come onto threads, make absolutist statements like he did, and there will be no repercussions. I'm afraid he's in cloud-cuckoo land if he does!

Marco."

Worse still here's the PM I received:

"....because, Jez, this isn't working and hasn't been working for a while. And tonight's shenanigans has put the tin lid on it.

Especially now I've drawn your attention to how you completely misunderstood the point I was making on that thread, and haven't yet had the courtesy to ACKNOWLEDGE that and respond accordingly! You've no idea how much that pisses me off.

You need to understand who you're dealing with, Jez. I'm not some clueless oik, with no faith in my judgement, who'll easily back down and be told he's wrong by someone speaking authoritatively [even when they've completely misunderstood me].

You might have been used to getting away with that in the past, and folk thing you were the No1 expert on everything, but you *won't* get away with it here, especially with me.

So, are you in on Monday? If so, I'll call you and see whether there's any point in you remaining here or not. And *if* there is, Jez, you'll need to listen *very* carefully to what I have to say, as this will be your LAST chance.

ATB,
    Marco. "

So long and thanks for the fish
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    you'd best not look at the 3 words daily thread then,cough cough
    Yes... but I can see Jez is becoming more and more agitated.. so I don't want this thread to carry on in a nasty way.. the 3WD thread is a lighter thread.

I don't like the word 'T**T'... To me it's very offensive and very innopropriate for his post. Swearing won't solve anything, it just degrades the posters perceived intelligence. I've asked nicely for him to remove it... that's all I asked.

I think Jez is one hell of a clever guy, and therefore I totally expect him to execute more control over his post.

I hope that answers your question.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

Closed Thread
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast