Closed Thread
Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Passive preamp buzzing?

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yup, technically, BNCs, XLRs and other connectors, commonly used in professional applications, are superior to RCAs, which I suspect only become the de-facto standard in home audio equipment, due to cost and marketing.

Marco.
    Oh, that's interesting. I may have to give them a try just for research purposes.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Interesting that you point out 'umph', whilst a passive can be more transparent and 'open' as you say it comes at a penalty of lacking slam and macro-dynamics compared to an active. So, which is more faithful to the music? You make your choice. I personally miss the 'umph' when I use passives, and I've tried some serious ones. My source has an output impedance of 90R (4R without the output transformers), so is not a bottleneck here.
    Umph is more important than just transparent and open in my book as it adds realism to the music. Just listen to how much umph you get from any instrument or vocal in real life, that is before they are amplified!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm James.

Lol, not at all, Jez. It should be patently obvious by now the type of presentation I favour from the equipment I use. Undoubtedly, to my ears, the BEST active preamps make music sound more lifelike, but that's not to say that the BEST passives lack drive or dynamics, per se. They don't. They just do in comparison, to my ears, with said actives, when that bar has been raised sufficiently high enough.

It's not something I can elucidate in words. I'd have to demonstrate it. So, one day, if you ever visit, or we're at NEBO again, you bring your passive with you and we'll compare it to the Croft, and we'll see if I can successfully demonstrate to you what I mean

Trust me, the WHOLE reason why I investigated in such depth into passives, and spent the money I did on modifying the Goldpoint, and also listening to various other examples of passive preamps in different systems, was because I completely understood why they're notionally 'perfect for audio use', and so me being me (always seeking to obtain the most 'truthful' sound), I wanted to improve that element of my system, and subsequently make it more 'accurate', by using a passive.

It's a shame, however, that in the REAL world (as opposed to the theoretical one), it didn't quite work out that way, which is why I've returned to the Croft, and now ticked off passives from my 'bucket list'

Marco.
    I understand where you are coming from Marco because I used passive preamps for years and was captured by their 'open window' approach when used in a system however there is always a nagging doubt that you are missing something at the expense of the very clean sonics and that became apparent as soon as I popped the Croft 25R into the system. Glorious rich full sound across the frequency spectrum was restored!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Umph is more important than just transparent and open in my book as it adds realism to the music. Just listen to how much umph you get from any instrument or vocal in real life, that is before they are amplified!
    Agreed!

...isn't it funny how active fans like the same attributes.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Yes! My feeling exactly. Without the impact you're missing out on an aspect of the performance. Still looking forward to hearing your system, Jimbo. I may have a Saturday in a week or so!!!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Jez.

Yup, technically, BNCs, XLRs and other connectors, commonly used in professional applications, are superior to RCAs, which I suspect only become the de facto standard in home audio equipment, due to cost and marketing.

Marco.
    I won't bother... as you won't be told you are wrong on anything...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    I think this should be the last time I say this or else I'll get a reputation for banging on about it:
    A potential divider (that's what a passive preamp is) simply puts the source voltage across two (or more) resistors in series. The ratio of the two resistances determines the two voltages you will get - one voltage across one resistor, the other voltage across the other resistor. Given two equal resistors you will get two equal voltages. Given, say, a 9k resistor and a 1k resistor you will get 10% of the source voltage across one resistor and 90% of the source voltage across the other. The source's signal voltage splits across the two resistors and the signal current flows through both.
    How can one resistor not be in the signal path?

What I was attempting to type is that in a shunt attenuator only ONE resistor is directly in the signal path, the 'shunt' resistors bleeding further signal away with each different volume step and doing what I said to the input and output impedances, which I suspect is irrelevant for most decent kit wired through them and certainly for the gear I'm most involved with these days. I maybe misread Marco when he said the shunt resistors were in the signal path and was responding to that comment.

Is that clearer now? Sorry, I've started posting again and don't know why - mumbles off into the far distance again...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Yes! My feeling exactly. Without the impact you're missing out on an aspect of the performance. Still looking forward to hearing your system, Jimbo. I may have a Saturday in a week or so!!!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Apart from the right amplification (whatever that may be) you can't beat large amounts of power and BIG speakers for impact, sadly both of which I am unable to accommodate in my listening room. However within the constraints of my room I can create some decent impact and a sense of scale especially with the right material.

Yes we must try and get a listening session sorted.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    What I was attempting to type is that in a shunt attenuator only ONE resistor is directly in the signal path, the 'shunt' resistors bleeding further signal away with each different volume step and doing what I said to the input and output impedances, which I suspect is irrelevant for most decent kit wired through them and certainly for the gear I'm most involved with these days. I maybe misread Marco when he said the shunt resistors were in the signal path and was responding to that comment.

Is that clearer now? Sorry, I've started posting again and don't know why - mumbles off into the far distance again...
    It's just as much in the "signal path" as the one that's visually in the signal path!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Agreed - but one needs some appreciation of the current flow in such devices. It is the voltage developed across the shunt resistor that causes current to flow, and that current is the signal.
    Barry

Closed Thread
Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast