Closed Thread
Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Passive preamp buzzing?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    How do we know what accurate is. Isn't it perception
    Accurate compared to what though? Even the accuracy of whatever yardstick is used for comparison or measurement can be questioned. So at the end, even the data and standards strictly adhered to by some can be questioned. I suppose accuracy is subjective. (bet Jez has a pop at me now )
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Accurate compared to what though? Even the accuracy of whatever yardstick is used for comparison or measurement can be questioned. So at the end, even the data and standards strictly adhered to by some can be questioned. I suppose accuracy is subjective. (bet Jez has a pop at me now )
    Haha, that's exactly what I thought, there is no yard stick, just the comparison to other gear which is total subjective and solely the opinion of the listener. I feel I'm only a couple of upgrades away from what will be the best sound I can achieve. Whether those steps happen is another thing entirely lol

What I want to add is an Ortofon Vienna and the right Pre, the Technics SP10 is on the way and then there's the issue of the arm to address. After that, I want to upgrade the speaker posts in my pioneers, build some nice wooden stands for them and that'll be me done.....maybe speaker wire too.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    the best sound I can achieve
    It doesn't exist mate. Ask those who have spent enough to buy a house. Even they think to themselves 'what if I tried..............?'

Once you've done the 'Technics bit' and bought a suitably expensive matching arm and pondered and mused over the outcome. You'll be resigned to the fact that the SR-370 + 774 was just as musical and then throw the towel in.

Trust me. You want a pair of big Tannoys, some Class A amplification (my solid state works brilliantly, but then so do my valves ) and a TVC or AVC pre-amp. And stay with a ZYX (or Decca). All just my opinion of course .
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

It doesn't exist mate. Ask those who have spent enough to buy a house. Even they think to themselves 'what if I tried..............?'

Once you've done the 'Technics bit' and bought a suitably expensive matching arm and pondered and mused over the outcome. You'll be resigned to the fact that the SR-370 + 774 was just as musical and then throw the towel in.

Trust me. You want a pair of big Tannoys, some Class A amplification (my solid state works brilliantly, but then so do my valves ) and a TVC or AVC pre-amp. And stay with a ZYX (or Decca). All just my opinion of course .
    Haha, there's no hope for us.

I'm Alan.

Now I like you Geoff and you are a credit to the forum. You have given excellent advice to quite a few but please keep your gob shut with this:

It doesn't exist mate.
    You'll be tipping us all into audiophillia nervosa and I ain't 'aving it

Anyway 'your solid state Class A amplification' is no better than my hybrid monoblocks, so there

Bigman80 Guest

Bigman80 Guest

Let battle commence.

I'm Geoff.

What's the Elektra thingy at the bottom?

Bigman80 Guest

What's the Elektra thingy at the bottom?
    That's the AVC from Ali Tait. It's got the autoformers in. It's bloody good is what it is lol

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    No, there's as much debate about this as with everything else. On paper a stepped attenuator passive is the most 'truthful'. But not completely so. And then you have personal taste on what you want the sound to be like. As Jez said earlier, the Slagle passive enhanced leading edges a little compared to the others. This could be colouration or the truth, hard to say without listening to a wider variety of recordings than we did. If you have too much colouration some recordings are enhanced, some become unlistenable. That's when you've gone wrong. If you can get it sounding how you want it without falling into that trap, you've cracked it.

I've not cracked it yet.
    I would say that they are completely accurate and perfect in an audio context. The only thing more accurate is a frequency compensated stepped attenuator in a 50 Ohm system and this is irrelevant until we get to MHz frequencies...

Something I keep mentioning is that a perfect anything in hi fi, other than speakers I guess, would likely not stand out as anything special. It's "just" not adding or taking away anything at all. If you are used to a range of top quality equipment and something new comes along that sounds really "wow!" I'd be very suspicious of it... It's probably really coloured in a way that's initially impressive or at least on one type of music...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

Closed Thread
Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast