Closed Thread
Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Passive preamp buzzing?

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I don't think that Stereophile article explains what a buffer is very well at all.

A buffer is a device with a very high input impedance and low output impedance. There is one in one form or another at the output of virtually all pre amps, phono stages, CD players, DACS etc etc. It has no voltage gain but lots of power gain ie it doesn't amplify the signal but it does make it much more powerful. They are also called Voltage Followers as the output follows the input in voltage. A silly analogy, imagine Volts were speed... it's still doing 10MPH but before it was a toy sail boat doing 10MPH and which would be stopped or slowed by the slightest friction... after the buffer it's still doing 10MPH because the voltage hasn't been amplified... but now it could drag a tree at 10MPH.

Suppose we have a source with a high output impedance like 10K. If we were to try and drive a 10K passive it would form a potential divider with the output impedance of the source and therefore the output of the source would be halved by the presence of the passive even when set to full volume!

I is important to note that just because a buffer has a very low output impedance doesn't mean it can actually drive very low impedance loads! It implies this yes but without the current to back it up we would get lots of distortion. It can be designed to give all the current one could want of course and in fact the output stage of a SS power amp is almost always a buffer! Usually it's just designed to have more than enough for the intended use though.
    Very good Jez. I definitely understand now. Why use valves then?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Very good Jez. I definitely understand now. Why use valves then?

Purely to placate plonkers who think valves are automatically better and to gain more sales from exploiting this assumption. It's quite prevalent... think of all the CD players and DAC's which advertise "valve buffered". Transistors are vastly better as buffers but as 99.99% of buffers have 100% negative feedback they are intrinsically very linear (low distortion) by nature and even a valve one will commonly give <0.01% distortion plus bandwidth of DC to a MHz or more. In many ways the greatest figure of merit for a device is its transconductance. The higher the transconductance the lower the output impedance when used as a buffer. Transistors (BJT's) are orders of magnitude better than valves in transconductance.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

Bigman80 Guest

Ok, so go valves then

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Jez, I've been very patient, but that patience has now run out...

Understand, that ignoring me is NOT an option, so do not make any further posts to the forum until you address my earlier question on this thread.

Ta!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Jez, I've been very patient, but that patience has now run out...

Understand, that ignoring me is NOT an option, so do not make any further posts to the forum until you address my earlier question on this thread.

Ta!

Marco.
    You're taking the piss now Marco. You can't force people to enter debates! I don't wish to discuss connectors with you as no matter what I say, based on decades of electronic engineering experience and knowledge, you will say something like "I believe I can hear the difference between a BNC and phono plug and I don't care what it says in your Johnnies book of physics" or something to that effect.

You have on many occasions admitted having very little knowledge of electronics. In spite of this you believe you can argue electronics with a professional in the field by shutting down any discussion with the old "I believe I can hear it and I trust my ears" ploy. Incredibly, you've even on several occasions questioned the validity of the laws of physics if they go against your argument!!

In any "debate" with you the options are basically:

1/ Let Marco win.
    2/ Give Marco some get out so he appears at least partially correct.
    3/ Leave the debate. This last one appears no longer an option....
    4/ One is so certain of ones facts that one would stake one's life on it so decide to not back down, no matter what, as a matter of principle.... then expect to be told to "STFU or get a holiday/be banned for life"

I believe you would in fact enter a debate with Professor Stephen Hawkings on the subjects of black holes or quantum entanglement and still never concede that he's proved you wrong on any single aspect of the subject

Once you had started with something like "I believe phono plugs are sub optimal and BNC's sound better", there is, as I am only too aware, nothing that I or anyone else could say that would result in you changing that to "now its been explained I can see that phonos are perfectly adequate for audio and there is indeed nothing to be gained by moving to BNC's"

Sometimes I get sick of the game and don't want to play.... I hope you find that a satisfactory explanation.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm jamie.

You're taking the piss now Marco. You can't force people to enter debates!
    if im totally honest i thought that was a bit rich as well!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

You're taking the piss now Marco. You can't force people to enter debates!
    *I'M* taking the piss???

Who was the one who came in and said I was wrong? So, YOU were the one instigating a debate. I wasn't forcing you to do anything, other than explain to me why I was wrong!!

Then when repeatedly pressed to explain why, you just ignored me......!

*THAT* is what actually happened, not what you've 'imagined' instead, and if you scroll back and read the posts concerned, you'll see that for yourself. Furthermore, I'm not attempting to argue electronics with you. That's only in your head!

If you had actually read what I wrote properly in the first place (rather than jumping in with both feet, with your usual crassly absolutist statements), then you'd have noticed that I wasn't talking about 'sonics'; I was talking about the physical properties of each plug and how they've been engineered, in terms of offering the most secure and reliable connection.

Therefore, you've COMPLETELY MISUNDERSTOOD what I wrote, and I would like you to acknowledge that.

You need to understand that if you're going to tell me I'm wrong, and I press you to explain why, then you either do so, or don't bother telling me I'm wrong. It's that simple. You can't provoke a reaction from me, then run off when you get one!

Because I simply will not tolerate being rudely ignored. I have no problem whatsoever with being wrong, but if someone tells me that, then I insist on them explaining precisely why, not running off and refusing to play anymore, because they now regret what they've started!!

The rest of your 'rant' makes a complete mockery of the truth, so isn't even worth acknowledging, although the sheer hypocrisy [and comedy] of you stating that *I'm* the one who won't accept he's ever wrong, certainly won't have been lost on those reading who know full well what you're like!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    if im totally honest i thought that was a bit rich as well!
    Yes, that's because you've also misunderstood what's happened. I suggest that you read what I've just posted, for the facts of the matter.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    so do not make any further posts to the forum until you address my earlier question on this thread.

Ta!

Marco.
    my comment was referring to this,im not sure how i could misunderstand it?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Because I won't be rudely ignored like that. Therefore, when I ask someone what I consider is an important question, especially when it involves them telling me I'm supposedly wrong, I expect them to have the courtesy to reply and explain.

Normally, I wouldn't be so insistent, but Jez seems to be under the misapprehension that he can come onto threads, make absolutist statements like he did, and there will be no repercussions. I'm afraid he's in cloud-cuckoo land if he does!

Marco.
    Main System

Closed Thread
Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast