Closed Thread
Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Passive preamp buzzing?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yet, Barry, you actively seek not to on your own equipment, and to my knowledge have a preference for using equipment fitted with connectors used in professional applications...?

Take SMA connectors out of the equation. What about the likes of Cannons or XLRs (leaving aside the balanced thing), or whatever your favourite connectors and sockets are?

IMO, and I'm sure I've heard you say it before, these offer a more robust and reliable connection than RCAs, which you're on record as saying you consider as inferior in comprison, in that respect.

*That* is the point I was making earlier to Oliver, which Jez came in and stamped on with his big size 12s, not anything to do with 'sonics'.....

Although, that aside, my suspicion is that they *could* also improve SQ, due to (as I understand it) them having a greater contact area, and which may result in superior signal integrity.

Marco.
    It is true that I think the RCA phono to be a 'poor little thing', but it has become the de facto industry standard and is fit for purpose. Personally I would prefer to see BNC or CAMAC connectors used but they are expensive and it is not obvious if they offer any improvement in SQ.

My attraction to XLR connectors is entirely due to my interest in using balanced-line interconnects. The fact that they are used on professional equipment just adds to my confidence in using them: very little professional audio gear use RCAs.
    Barry

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    It is true that I think the RCA phono to be a 'poor little thing', but it has become the de facto industry standard and is fit for purpose. Personally I would prefer to see BNC or CAMAC connectors used but they are expensive and it is not obvious if they offer any improvement in SQ.
    Thanks, I agree, and *that* is the point I was making, specifically the bit in bold. It may be "fit for purpose", but that doesn't mean it's optimal. And if I can, I prefer optimal! If they're avoidable, I simply don't like making compromises.

Therefore, I'd argue that if the equipment we used was fitted instead with BNC and/or CAMAC connectors, to use your preferences as an example, not only would we be offered a more robust and reliable connection, with the cables we choose, but perhaps also superior sound

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    What I was attempting to type is that in a shunt attenuator only ONE resistor is directly in the signal path...
    Yes, I know what you were saying. That's exactly the misconception I was was trying to refute.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    It's just as much in the "signal path" as the one that's visually in the signal path!
    Thank you I thought I was pi$$ing in the wind.

Agreed - but one needs some appreciation of the current flow in such devices. It is the voltage developed across the shunt resistor that causes current to flow, and that current is the signal.
    Again, thank you.

I thought my post #126 illustrated quite clearly how TVCs can give the impression of extra detail through "enhanced" leading edges, but it looks like I was definitely pi$$ing the wind there - totally ignored while people discuss the relative merits of different brands of RCA connectors instead

I'm Alan.

In most electrical contacts the actual amount of contact area is about 10 - 15% of the available contact area. It is accepted good engineering practice when joining electric busbars that the overlap length is 6 -10x the thickness of the busbar.
    Yes and the bolts tightened up very tight.
    The largest rectifier current I had any involvement with was 8000 Amps

Bigman80 Guest

Well, to move the topic on slightly now we all agree lol,

The KIN is going to be representing the Active Preamp side of things after next week to see how that affects things. Personally, my favourite is the AVC so far. A very slight sound stage compromise but that's about it. More listening to do but that won't be next week.

SO,

What is the ideal preamp? Links to existing models regardless of price. where is the standard bearer?

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Indeed, and of course that has to be considered. The Slagle is a major bargain, and ticks all the important 'SPPV boxes'. Do you know where it was made (in which country)?

The biggest compliment I can pay the Slagle, is that it would've TROUNCED the Goldpoint, in stock form, which was more than double its price!!

Marco.
    The US Marco.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    I thought my post #126 illustrated quite clearly how TVCs can give the impression of extra detail through "enhanced" leading edges, but it looks like I was definitely pi$$ing the wind there - totally ignored while people discuss the relative merits of different brands of RCA connectors instead
    Not at all, Andrew. Although I haven't directly replied to your post, I've already stated a few times that I can clearly hear how TVCs colour the sound, but in a pleasant/musical sounding way, a part of which you've just outlined.

I'm in full agreement

But then, *every* piece of equipment or cable (and speakers) is coloured to some degree, so I guess all we can do, in the final analysis, is choose our 'favourite colour', or rather the distortion that we're able to live with the most...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    The US Marco.
    Amazing they can produce it for that. I suspect that the Chinese are involved somewhere!

Marco.
    Main System

Bigman80 Guest

Amazing they can produce it for that. I suspect that the Chinese are involved somewhere!

Marco.
    Reading the website doesn't suggest so, Marco. Hand wound by the man himself. Unless he sources parts?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    The KIN is going to be representing the Active Preamp side of things after next week to see how that affects things. Personally, my favourite is the AVC so far. A very slight sound stage compromise but that's about it. More listening to do but that won't be next week.
    Make sure you also compare the KIN directly with the AVC, both used on their own as the system's preamp.

I'd expect the KIN to be notably better! And when you suss out why, you'll 'get' why passives [at ANY price] are ultimately more compromised than the best active designs, especially when valves have been used judiciously in their design...

What is the ideal preamp? Links to existing models regardless of price. where is the standard bearer?
    Doesn't exist. It's all down to using your OWN ears and judgement. I've never understood why folks need a "standard bearer", or in hi-fi magazine terms, a "Best Buy five-star Winner", or any other such bollox...

That's for mindless lazy-arses, who don't trust their own ears and simply want to be TOLD what to buy, which I'm sure isn't you!

Marco.
    Main System

Closed Thread
Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast