+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Micromega CDP. "Err"

I'm Edward.

Default Micromega CDP. "Err"

I've dug up my old Micromega Stage 5 CDP. It was my pride and joy for ages - but now years and years ago.

It plays but more often than not when reading a disc it comes up with Err. Even on the same disc. So I assume the mechanics and/or laser needs cleaning or fettling in some way.

Any guidance?

I'll try to attach a pic of the CDP without its trousers on.

Cheers

Sent via Tapatalk
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Simon.

Cotton wool bud on the optics. But usually its dried grease on the runners, worn door open cogs and sloppy belts that do for the Stage series.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    Cotton wool bud on the optics. But usually its dried grease on the runners, worn door open cogs and sloppy belts that do for the Stage series.

Thanks Simon. I'm always wary of going near the optics probably as so many people warn against it. But I guess using cotton buds is less intrusive than the cheap cd cleaners one can buy. Any risk of soaking the bud in isopropyl a bit? I tend to use quite a bit when reviving laptops/computers.

Is it relatively easy to do a tear down of the mechanism to get to the runners, belt etc and what is the best way of applying new grease?
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    ........ Any risk of soaking the bud in isopropyl a bit? I tend to use quite a bit when reviving laptops/computers..............
    Personally I wouldn't use anything on the Lenses.
    The early ones were Glass so OK but these 'modern' ones will be Plastic and can react badly to certain chemicals.

Jim.

I'm Adrian.

Use a fine artists brush for the lens, or Badger if you have one - a brush with Badger hair that is.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    Use a fine artists brush for the lens, or Badger if you have one - a brush with Badger hair that is.
    Exactly!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    The early ones were Glass so OK but these 'modern' ones will be Plastic and can react badly to certain chemicals.

Jim.
    Thanks Jim. Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Exactly!
    Thanks for that. We have lots of fine arts brushes around here, but no badger one.

I've been looking at utube and found some guy who did a partial tear down for the belt replacement. Will tear down tomorrow to see how the belt is doing and get a better peek at the mechs.

It seems that these Micromega Stages were notoriously unreliable (mine lasted for years though) which basically bankrupted the company due to the high level of returns. I'll probably not spend too much time on this but would be great to get it working reliably.

Need to research lubrication for the runners.

I'm Simon.

A light synthetic grease, Teflon fortified not lithium based.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post

Jim.
    I have always cleaned lenses with Zeiss photo moisture tissues. Heck I have even cleaned my dslr sensor with them. Material is of a special type so virtually no scratch possible and special liquid cleans nicely and evaporates completely.

I'm Simon.

Edward, speak to Dowser over on pfm he's fixed and rebuilt a couple, very technically able guy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast