+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FS: Tannoy 12in Monitor Golds with crossovers and cabinets

I'm Geoff.

I use modestly powered zero feedback amps with the harder to drive post HPD, DU series drivers and have no problems with grip or drive. I have owned the early Monitor Golds too and they are extremely easy to drive and are undemanding of amplifiers. Nothing is necessarily set in stone and I'm a firm believer in giving anything a go.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Adam.

I hear you Geoff. It would be interesting to hear the amp with them I agree.
    Maybe if Tom doesn't move them on instantly he may consider that.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

montesquieu Guest

[QUOTE=WESTLOWER;900753]
    Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post

It's actually a PP amp but with No global feedback.

Geoff makes a pretty good suggestion but Paul was very sure when
    I spoke to him (regarding a different Tannoy project, same drivers, and he had every incentive to be positive as I was going to give him some work!)
    But also don't want to mess Tom about
    Bring it over .. Barnet's an hour and 8min away according to Google maps. No obligation I'm always up for a chat about systems and I make decent coffee.

I'm Adam.

I'll pm you tom.

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm ROGER.

tried to pm you but your inbox is full Tom

montesquieu Guest

[QUOTE=WESTLOWER;900743]
    Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I used them with the Tim de P/Andy Grove WAD 300b PP .... that works very well with MGs, though hasn't the welly for HPDs.

Hi Tom, I had really hoped my 300b would be a good match as those are the drivers I had an itch for, but spoke with Paul Coupe and He advised that as my amp has No global negative feedback and the impedance is too high on my amp, closer to
    3 Ohms where under 1 Ohm is required for optimum performance .
    I have to say I'm very gutted as I had hoped to put those drivers with my amp. Maybe they would be a good match but I bow to Paul's knowledge ..
    Turns out Paul was right after all (I should have learned my lesson on that one by now as I have the T shirt already) however Adam also heard these with the Radford and was smitten, so they are now SOLD.

Was a fun afternoon in fact!

I'm Geoff.

Result. If not quite as intended.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Peter.

Welcome to the Dark Side, young Adam

I fore-see an EAR 861 in your future

I'm Adrian.

Ahhh yes, I forgot about the EAR.....
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Adam.

Thank you Tom for being so accommodating and welcoming.
    Your system floored myself and Mrs westlower fella. There's no way I could leave without
    Some of that sound. Again thank you for your time and knowledge, and of course the
    Speakers...
    That equalization box of tricks was also incredible, next on my list!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast