+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FS: Tannoy 12in Monitor Golds with crossovers and cabinets

montesquieu Guest

Default FS: Tannoy 12in Monitor Golds with crossovers and cabinets

NOW SOLD.

Having bought Walpurgis’s Tannoy crossovers recently I dug out MY 12 in Monitor Golds from storage to hear how they were sounding, putting them in some maple cabs I also had stored away.

The answer is - fantastic! A really nice partnership with the Radford STA25 I have in at the moment (awaiting the STA100 coming back), which is just exactly what they would have been used with back in the mid 60s. Like pretty much all vintage Tannoy DCs, what they like is 20-40w of push-pull amplification which the Radford provides with aplomb.

The drivers are early Golds with the harder/sticky surround, and with the exception of the 8 ohm nominal impedance have more in common with earlier 12in Reds than with the later 12in Golds/rubber surrounds. The cabs are currently sealed (though port holes are available having been blocked up) and built to Chatsworth dimensions so the sound is pretty much as a Chatsworth cabinet - sweet, punchy, and detailed, though with a bass response that falls off quite rapidly below 60-70hz. (A properly designed port would improve on this at the expense of a little bit of impact).

Anyway while it’s been fun this past couple of weeks I don’t really want to put these back in storage so I’m offering them for sale. The crossovers are for the HPD315 but the crossover point is the same 1khz, so they work absolutely fine. (parameters here: http://www.44bx.com/tannoy/Tannoy_ts.html )

I'm selling the drivers on their own for £800 and with the crossovers for £950. The cabs are solid maple but very rough and ready so are offered for free to anyone who buys the driver and crossover, if wanted - they would need some work to be living-room friendly, but actually sound pretty nice even as-is.

I had toyed with making a project out of this, having the cabs fixed up and sprayed a funky colour, maybe port dimensions calculated and a tube fitted to the port hole that's currently blocked up. I also thought about having some corner Chatsworths made (how about this for a vintage theme - plans are available: http://www.worksofdesign.com/tannoy-...binets-1958-2/ )

But the fact is I don't have the room, my study can really only accommodate small standmounts (currently Tannoy DCs, natch, but small modern DC6 versions). These vintage beauties deserve to be heard.

Collection from Bracknell area, less than 10 min from J4a M3 or from J10 M4.

Last edited by montesquieu; 24-09-2017 at 17:47.

I'm Grant.

some nice wood there going for free. wouldnt take much to have a perfect pair of top notch 12"MG's
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm ROGER.

Ooooh !! hugely tempted by these...

I'm Adam.

Ditto, but alas my amp isn't suited.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Adrian.

If anyone knows about Tannoys it's Tom, and having bought from him in the past his gear is always top notch and he's a true gent to deal with. Someone will be very lucky...
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Ditto, but alas my amp isn't suited.
    I used them with the Tim de P/Andy Grove WAD 300b PP .... that works very well with MGs, though hasn't the welly for HPDs.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    If anyone knows about Tannoys it's Tom, and having bought from him in the past his gear is always top notch and he's a true gent to deal with. Someone will be very lucky...
    Thanks Adey but you flatter me a bit .. quite a few whose knowledge I defer to certainly in technical matters, Walpurgis here, Paul Coupe of course, AnthonyTD, several others .. but I've certainly had a few different Tannoy DC drivers in different cabs, I recall counting up the amps I'd tried with them and it came to more than 30!

I'm Adam.

[QUOTE=montesquieu;900676]I used them with the Tim de P/Andy Grove WAD 300b PP .... that works very well with MGs, though hasn't the welly for HPDs.

Hi Tom, I had really hoped my 300b would be a good match as those are the drivers I had an itch for, but spoke with Paul Coupe and He advised that as my amp has No global negative feedback and the impedance is too high on my amp, closer to
    3 Ohms where under 1 Ohm is required for optimum performance .
    I have to say I'm very gutted as I had hoped to put those drivers with my amp. Maybe they would be a good match but I bow to Paul's knowledge ..

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

montesquieu Guest

[QUOTE=WESTLOWER;900743]
    Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I used them with the Tim de P/Andy Grove WAD 300b PP .... that works very well with MGs, though hasn't the welly for HPDs.

Hi Tom, I had really hoped my 300b would be a good match as those are the drivers I had an itch for, but spoke with Paul Coupe and He advised that as my amp has No global negative feedback and the impedance is too high on my amp, closer to
    3 Ohms where under 1 Ohm is required for optimum performance .
    I have to say I'm very gutted as I had hoped to put those drivers with my amp. Maybe they would be a good match but I bow to Paul's knowledge ..
    I assume then you have the single-ended/parallel single ended one. I ran the push-pull version very successfully with these speakers and only moved it on when I changed to HPDs in the larger cabinets, for which it didn't have enough power. I concur with Paul that the single ended version is unsuitable.

I'm Geoff.

Adam. It would make sense to try your amp with these speakers if you have an interest. Tom is not that far from you.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Adam.

[QUOTE=montesquieu;900746]
    Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post

I assume then you have the single-ended/parallel single ended one. I ran the push-pull version very successfully with these speakers and only moved it on when I changed to HPDs in the larger cabinets, for which it didn't have enough power. I concur with Paul that the single ended version is unsuitable.
    It's actually a PP amp but with No global feedback.

Geoff makes a pretty good suggestion but Paul was very sure when
    I spoke to him (regarding a different Tannoy project, same drivers, and he had every incentive to be positive as I was going to give him some work!)
    But also don't want to mess Tom about

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast