+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CDP or Streaming with SEG?

I'm Tony.

Default CDP or Streaming with SEG?

Very happy streaming Flacs via a SBT using my SEG but wondered if there would be any improvement using my CD's if I bought a transport.

I suspect any improvement would be marginal but wondered what other people's opinion was?
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Jo.

Quote Originally Posted by Intenso View Post
    Very happy streaming Flacs via a SBT using my SEG but wondered if there would be any improvement using my CD's if I bought a transport.

I suspect any improvement would be marginal but wondered what other people's opinion was?
    I use my SEG with a Cambridge CXC transport to good effect. I prefer the sound of this combination to that of SEG and files from Mac via a USB [or indeed USB from any of the DACs I have at the moment.] Convenience is forgone, but I am more likely to listen to the work on the CD all the way through rather than idly flitting from on piece to another as I have found myself doing with the computer as a source.

The marginal improvements - CDT, linear power, and so forth, seem to stack up in my set up.

I use the transport/SEG pairing for critical listening and computer lossless files via optical into the SEG for less intense sessions.

Kind of 'as well as not instead'.

I'm Tony.

Thanks John,

Funny enough it was the Cambridge CXC that I was thinking of getting.
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Richard.

I fully endorse the views on the Cambridge CXC transport + Stan's DAC;its just as good, if not better, than my AlloBoss + RPi steaming set-up.

BW

R

I'm Jo.

Default CXC

Thanks John,

Funny enough it was the Cambridge CXC that I was thinking of getting.
    The CXC seems a perfect marriage of price, performance, and build to me, Tony. It is a basic unit - no track programming etc, but the mechanism is quiet and quick to locate tracks. The remote is decent too and the user can turn off the display. I bought an open box from Richer sounds and paid £35 on top for a 6 year service guarantee. No regrets.

From my experience, it is more than just marginal. The SEG was partly designed to partner a CD player so that I could extract more sound out of the digital data encoded in a CD. Once you hear those extra notes etc that you never knew existed on those discs that you might have owned for decades, it all becomes a lot clearer. A typical example is the JMJ CD Concert in China. The video of that concert is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTyAtn177zo
    And that CD is a couple of decades old. Play it through something else, and then trough the SEG for comparison.

I'm Jo.

Default >>>

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    'Once you hear those extra notes etc that you never knew existed on those discs that you might have owned for decades, it all becomes a lot clearer
    +1

I'm Mike.

Even cheaper than a CXC will be a Pioneer Stable Platter. I play my PD-S703 through a Caiman and have a very nice sound
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMusic View Post
    Even cheaper than a CXC will be a Pioneer Stable Platter. I play my PD-S703 through a Caiman and have a very nice sound
    Funnily enough I use a PD-S705 which is virtually identical to your PD-S703. I bought mine in Mint condition on eBay for £39.

It does make a good transport as you can switch off the analogue output.

I am kind of tempted by all the rave reviews for the CXC though...I am currently considering getting one as a wee Christmas present to myself.
    Adam.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Theadmans View Post
    Funnily enough I use a PD-S705 which is virtually identical to your PD-S703. I bought mine in Mint condition on eBay for £39.

It does make a good transport as you can switch off the analogue output.

I am kind of tempted by all the rave reviews for the CXC though...I am currently considering getting one as a wee Christmas present to myself.
    I prefer the Pioneer DV-505 or DV-717 to the stable platters, better focus, and cost peanuts. I think their use of a RAM buffer and re-reading on error makes a difference.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast