+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AlloBoss/Audiophonics/Mo0de/Volumio initial comparison

I'm Richard.

Default AlloBoss/Audiophonics/Mo0de/Volumio initial comparison

System in use: Schiit Saga preamp + Quad 306 (DADA and RedHill modified) + Living Voice speakers.

Comparison between:
    Rpi2 + Allo Boss + Volumio + Rpi power supply
    With:
    2. Rpi3 +Audiophonics sabre Es 9018 + MoOde + Linear PS.

The original comparison used different output leads. I have now rectified this and the Chords have been replaced by QEDs -(Profile Audio), which I view as being slightly superior.

I have run several blind comparisons between the two, using Radio Paradise and BBC Radio 3 as sound sources.

I view the AlloBoss as being slightly superior in almost all aspects of SQ, namely: better separation of instruments allied to a more widely spread soundstage; better bass and a better ‘high end’ (the ‘high-hats’ are, for example, more pronounced). These effects were less pronounced when listening to a live BBC radio3 concert.

I am aware that these contrasts could be due to software differences. Has anyone else run comparisons?

One wonders if a different/ ‘better PS’ would further enhance the AlloBoss.

Richard.

I'm jp.

The logical step is to go for the allo isolator and battery psu for the boss. I've only just got mine running but it's damn good and benefits massively for upsampling to my ears. It's the best digital I've had. If you're local maybe we can try a comparison.

I've read moOde sounds better so went straight for that so can't compare to voluminous at present but will try in due course.

I'm Josie.

I'm currently running the Allo Boss with the Isolator. I've not got round to upsampling yet, are you getting good results?

I've been reviewing the ALLO units for a while now and they are certainly worth it.

The Isolator really does add an extra level to the sound although I've not tried the battery pack with it.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by diceman View Post
    The logical step is to go for the allo isolator and battery psu for the boss. I've only just got mine running but it's damn good and benefits massively for upsampling to my ears. It's the best digital I've had. If you're local maybe we can try a comparison.

I've read moOde sounds better so went straight for that so can't compare to voluminous at present but will try in due course.
    Which battery psu are you using?

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Richard.

Josie,
    Do you use up-sampling with your AlloBoss? (I have mine set to 'native'). If so, do you mind sharing your settings? (I treat you as the expert on this field in the forum).

Many thanks,

Richard.
    Last edited by Bonky; 24-09-2017 at 10:22.

I'm Luke.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonky View Post
    Comparison between:
    Rpi2 + Allo Boss + Volumio + Rpi power supply
    With:
    2. Rpi3 +Audiophonics sabre Es 9018 + MoOde + Linear PS
    Very interesting, thanks for posting.

Obvious question would be why not swap over the power supplies and see if that edges the Boss even further ahead? Then you might see whether it would be worth upgrading the PS?

I am also thinking about upgrading PS, and am considering the IFI ipower 5v. Have you seen this:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...-lps-and-smps/

I am using latest Moode with advanced RT kernal and upsample to 32/384, though I haven't done any comparisons with other settings to see the difference - sounds good to me!

I'm jp.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Which battery psu are you using?

I've mainly been running off a 7ah 12v sealed lead acid battery but I also have the allo battery pack and life po cells (but no charger!) and a tracer 22ah 12v lifepo pack. I haven't done any a to b testing yet though.

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonky View Post
    Josie,
    Do you use up-sampling with your AlloBoss? (I have mine set to 'native'). If so, do you mind sharing your settings? (I treat you as the expert on this filed in the forum).

Many thanks,

Richard.
    I've not got round to up sampling yet.. I've just set it to the wildcard 24bit/*khz.

It plays everything I throw at it at the moment Including .dsf files

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by LC1979 View Post
    Very interesting, thanks for posting.

Obvious question would be why not swap over the power supplies and see if that edges the Boss even further ahead? Then you might see whether it would be worth upgrading the PS?

I am also thinking about upgrading PS, and am considering the IFI ipower 5v. Have you seen this:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...-lps-and-smps/

I am using latest Moode with advanced RT kernal and upsample to 32/384, though I haven't done any comparisons with other settings to see the difference - sounds good to me!
    Hi Luke, thanks.

I can't do what you suggest as the linear ps supplies 6.35V to the Sabre DAC (which then regulates it down to approx.5V to supply the Rpi). If I put 6.35V straight into the Boss/Rpi I'm not sure it would last too long.
    The iFi link is interesting. Most opinions seem to be favourable - with some questioning the longevity. I may experiment with a battery pack later.

Cheers,
    Richard
    Last edited by Bonky; 24-09-2017 at 11:21.

I'm Richard.

Short update:
    1. I've ordered an iFi PS for the RPi+ AlloBoss. It is due on Friday so will report back. Thanks Luke for the link: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...-lps-and-smps/

2. With the Volumio set-up I changed the setting to 24/96 from native. I think there is a very small improvement.

3. With the Mo0de set-up I have the kernel set to Advanced-LL and a latency of 10ms.

Please, please, will anyone with more experience/expertise than me wish to suggest 'better' settings -please feel free to do so.

Bw

R

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast