+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading my hi fi paranoia

I'm Alex.

Default Upgrading my hi fi paranoia

I just came to the realization that my hi fi paranoia has taken a completely new shape. I've spent many years fretting over my hi fi configuration. Researching various components, their 'synergies', purchasing them, reselling them, playing with interconnects, power cables, power conditioners, speaker cables, speaker positioning, isolation components, room treatments, you name it. Basically, a certifiable hi fi nutter.

However, lately I've started noticing that if the recording I'm playing on my system doesn't sound good to me, I don't jump at tweaking my system. Instead, I jump into searching for a BETTER SOURCE!

If it's a digital playback, I'd look for upgrading my source from the unsatisfactory CD or FLAC, to a better one. For example, I'd look for a hi rez release of the same material. Or, I'd try to get me a Japanese SHM CD (http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/feature/shmcd_allabout) version of the album. I managed to make considerable improvements in my listening pleasure by replacing a number of crappy sounding CDs with their hi rez, or SHM CD equivalents (Stan Getz/Joao Gilberto being one of the most shining examples of the stunning upgrade). Sometimes even finding a different release of the regular CD can improve the sound.

With vinyl, things are much tougher. There are many vinyl LPs that sound less than optimal to me. Rather than chasing after a more expensive turntable, platter, tonearm, cartridge, SUT, phono preamp etc. etc., I'd chase after a different pressing. That could be a daunting task, because often times even if one is lucky to find a better pressing, the condition of the LP could likely be worse than the one I want to replace. So now the race is on to find a good pressing that is also in a good condition. Which means you end up with 10 - 15 versions of the same LPs taking up all that space in your house.

But hey, that's a textbook definition of a nutter hoarding hi fi paranoiac! At least the days of me chasing after expensive hi fi components seem to be over. Good riddance!
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Rob.

Some Cd's, MP3's, Vinyl sound great, others sound shit. That;s the problem we have as Philes
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Martin.

Aside from a few CDs with too much compression (mainly 'Best Of' compliations) I don't have this problem at all.

Example: I have 'Let It Bleed' on original CD and the painstaking SACD re-master. Yes the re-master sounds a little better, but both it and the original sound good. Good enough that I wouldn't actually care which I listened to.

Not saying there is not a difference between various pressings and masterings, but it isn't as big a difference as say going from a competent phono stage to a really good one. With vinyl, especially, spending more money (in the right way) can really jump things up by a big margin.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Aside from a few CDs with too much compression (mainly 'Best Of' compliations) I don't have this problem at all.

Example: I have 'Let It Bleed' on original CD and the painstaking SACD re-master. Yes the re-master sounds a little better, but both it and the original sound good. Good enough that I wouldn't actually care which I listened to.

Not saying there is not a difference between various pressings and masterings, but it isn't as big a difference as say going from a competent phono stage to a really good one. With vinyl, especially, spending more money (in the right way) can really jump things up by a big margin.
    That makes sense, and of course upgrading your audio chain has the potential to improve things significantly. But my point is that it's a slippery slope. Yes, you can get a better phono stage, and your LPs will sounds better. But then you'll start thinking "wow, if this upgrade improved things so much, can you imagine if I went for that other even fancier phono preamp?" So there is no end to upgraditis.

With different mastering/pressing etc., I found out that once I get my hands on a decent pressing, I'm 100% satisfied. I'm freed from "well, if this pressing is such an improvement, can you imagine if I stumbled upon some pressing that would be even better?" No, once the pressing sounds to my liking, that's the end of the road, and from then onwards I'm left alone to just enjoy the music in peace.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    But my point is that it's a slippery slope. Yes, you can get a better phono stage, and your LPs will sounds better. But then you'll start thinking "wow, if this upgrade improved things so much, can you imagine if I went for that other even fancier phono preamp?" So there is no end to upgraditis.

Well there is an end because there is a finite limit in what can be achieved both financially and technically

For me I tend to be spurred on by hearing systems that are a lot better than mine. Find it hard to go back. So I have to do something about it. If I'd never heard better I would stick where I was. So the end for me will be when I no longer hear any systems that are better than what I've got. Or the time runs out.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Alex.

Well there is an end because there is a finite limit in what can be achieved both financially and technically

For me I tend to be spurred on by hearing systems that are a lot better than mine. Find it hard to go back. So I have to do something about it. If I'd never heard better I would stick where I was. So the end for me will be when I no longer hear any systems that are better than what I've got. Or the time runs out.
    I'm in a much more fortunate position, as any system I hear sounds worse than mine. It helps if your friends are more into hobbies such as drinking beer and lounging on the back porch

Alex.

I'm Martin.

I don't know if you have meets there like we do here? But some of the systems and individual bits of kit I have heard at them have been fantastically good. Mostly complete DIY or heavily modified equipment though. You re-evaluate.

I mean for example you might think that swapping in a ten grand phono stage from a one grand stage would only give you another 10% or so. But it just ain't true. It is a huge improvement in every respect, and then you realise you can't go back from hearing that; which has consequences.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Alex.

I don't know if you have meets there like we do here? But some of the systems and individual bits of kit I have heard at them have been fantastically good. Mostly complete DIY or heavily modified equipment though. You re-evaluate.

I mean for example you might think that swapping in a ten grand phono stage from a one grand stage would only give you another 10% or so. But it just ain't true. It is a huge improvement in every respect, and then you realise you can't go back from hearing that; which has consequences.
    Luckily, I don't have a chance to attend such meetups here in the Canadian backwaters. Ignorance is bliss, so I'm enjoying the fact that my system is the best sounding system in my neck of the woods (and I can say with in confidence, after listening to many much pricier systems at the number of local hi fi stores).

Question: how can you tell if the component you've heard make a breathtaking improvement in one system is guaranteed to make the improvement in your system? You get a chance to take it home to audition?

Alex.

I'm Andrew.

I think it's possible to get your kit to a point where you are satisfied and then just relax and enjoy the music without needing or wanting to fanny around. Damn well better be.

Let's face it there's more to life than a group of middle aged and older men sitting around kidding themselves that there's a point to the incessant fiddling with wires beyond justifying their continuing existence.

Get you a comfy chair, sit back and hear the music.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by agk View Post
    I think it's possible to get your kit to a point where you are satisfied and then just relax and enjoy the music without needing or wanting to fanny around. Damn well better be.

Let's face it there's more to life than a group of middle aged and older men sitting around kidding themselves that there's a point to the incessant fiddling with wires beyond justifying their continuing existence.

Get you a comfy chair, sit back and hear the music.
    Yes. I also believe the same 'good enough' plateau can be reached with regards to choosing your musical instruments. For example, I am a guitar player and after spending years chasing that elusive best guitar, I've now settled on my Les Paul and Fender Strat run of the mill guitars, and am just playing music. I've totally given up the chase after some rare 'Peter Green-like' guitar.

Alex.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast