+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Greetings

I'm Mike.

Default Greetings

I'm Mike from London. I started out on my HIFI journey during my early teens when I started to get some income from my paper rounds. I got my first turntable given by my father, a Sansui SR 212 I think, the one with spring suspension and a cartridge that look like a cheap audio technica, and a Sansui amp. As a young lad I could only afford headphones instead of speakers and treated my self to a Sennheiser. When I auditioned these I couldn't believe the sound quality and fell in love with these. Then when I got a real job I got some Tannoy Mecury speakers and upgraded the amp to a Trio (forgot the model no.).

Like most people I lost interest in records and moved over to CDs then digital downloads. I was thrilled about the lack crackle and pop from records. When I bought records, the initial listening was an anxious moment waiting for that dreaded surface noise. Must have had countless times when I had to return records for replacements.

Anyway fast forward to the present day, I've gone full circle and back to records. I bought a used Rega P5 turntable with a Dynavector 10x5 cartirdge and a DIY Muffsy aka CNC Phono preamp, a Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 headphone amp upgraded by Mike at Rock Grotto. Due to family pressures I mainly use headphones now and have Sennheiser HD700.

To be honest I've been a lurker here reading interesting messages and following with interest the homegrown phono stage designs, e.g. Arkless and Firebottle, for ideas on my next upgrade which is a phono preamp.

Sorry for the rambling ... feels better getting it all out

I'm Rob.

Welcome Mike.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Mike.

Nice introduction. Welcome back to vinyl - do you find new, more recent pressings to be quieter now than in the past? What are your tastes in music by the way?

Regards
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Welcome to AoS Mike.

Nice introduction. Welcome back to vinyl - do you find new, more recent pressings to be quieter now than in the past? What are your tastes in music by the way?

Regards
    Barry
    Thanks Barry. Some newly pressed records are quieter but I sure the ones I bought months ago have what I describe as "schhh" type noise, not continuously by in regular succession. I'm sure, unless I'm senile already, that it was OK before otherwise I would have returned it. Saying that some are really bad and even have fingerprints when the record was brand new and sealed. I tend to buy alot of used records to replace my CD version and after a vacuum clean they appear just as good.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Welcome Mike.
    Thanks Rob.

I'm Josie.

Welcome to AOS, Mike... Enjoy!

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Geoff.

Hello Mike. Welcome to AOS.

If you've been lurking, you'll know there's plenty going on. The members are friendly, so just join in the fun and chat with us all.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

Thanks all for the warm welcome.

It has given me a fuzzy warm feeling inside, a sign that I've come to the right place.

+ Reply to Thread