+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: thoughts on a new phono stage

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by speedracer View Post
    ................. Icon Audio's PS1 mk1 is also very good but I think just outside your budget unless things have changed recently.
    +1.

I had a PS1 mk 1 for a long, long time. Bought used for about £500 - fully supported by the company based in Leicester and at worst a new set of valves may be needed over time. These things are built like a tank (and almost as heavy).

After having gone through 4 SS stages nothing prepared me for how good this was.

Worth a listen.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Shaun.

Only really had experience with the cheap Pro-Ject Phonobox SE, built in Croft phono stage and the current Dynavector P75 MkIII. I did listen to a Firebottle prototype a few years back but hopefully it was not representative of the current ones. The best I have owned so far by a helluva long way is the Dynavector however back in the nineties I had a Hart Linsley Hood kit built phono stage and that was the best I have ever heard.

All the best with your search.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Hi Ben, here is a suggestion.
    I have a modified Tron Convergence which is really a Firebottle convergence now with the improvements and circuit changes made. It owes me £750, however it is only MC at the moment.
    I can either fit extra sockets and a switch to give MC/MM capability, or remove the SUT's and offer it as MM for £650.

It really has an excellent holographic sound, as others will attest to.
    As it is modified the Tron warranty is no longer valid but I will give continued support for it, to my usual after sales level of good service.

You are welcome to trial it
    Now that sounds like a great offer.

I'm Brook.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Hi Ben, here is a suggestion.
    I have a modified Tron Convergence which is really a Firebottle convergence now with the improvements and circuit changes made. It owes me £750, however it is only MC at the moment.
    I can either fit extra sockets and a switch to give MC/MM capability, or remove the SUT's and offer it as MM for £650.

It really has an excellent holographic sound, as others will attest to.
    As it is modified the Tron warranty is no longer valid but I will give continued support for it, to my usual after sales level of good service.

You are welcome to trial it
    You should yank Alan's hand off in the process of accepting this offer, well played sir.

I'm Ben.

Thanks guys

A few things for me to consider there, Alan Thanks for the great offer too. Il have a think / read up about things

Cheers

Ben
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Ian.

I bought a Nighthawk F-117 phono stage from some kind soul here and it's the best phono stage I've ever owned, including some valve stages. It's very flexible for loading mm and mc cartridges and also for gain. Plenty of reviews on the web - well worth a look. Most recently compared it side by side with a Graham Slee Accession. The owner of the Accession preferred his but everyone else in the room liked the Nighthawk the best.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ianlenco View Post
    I bought a Nighthawk F-117 phono stage from some kind soul here and it's the best phono stage I've ever owned, including some valve stages. It's very flexible for loading mm and mc cartridges and also for gain. Plenty of reviews on the web - well worth a look. Most recently compared it side by side with a Graham Slee Accession. The owner of the Accession preferred his but everyone else in the room liked the Nighthawk the best.
    Heard a nighthawk and didn't really like it. It's got a great reputation so might just be me lol

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Alan.

The Nighthawk is the quietest phono stage I have heard, at max gain there is a bit of background hiss, but it's way down and the gain is a lot at that setting. The Tron really isn't far behind this for quietness, in standard build this is one of it's strengths.

The thing that lets the Nighthawk down IMHO is the slightly 'sat on' dynamics, I think due to using feedback equalisation.
    The Tron uses passive eq, and with the modifications offers a more spacious and open sound.

Have fun with your search Ben.

I'm phil.

ive got the angle audio pro. very good indeed you can have it either mc or mm or switchable i have the mc version loaded to match my cart, thet hybrid alan is offering sounds attractive, good luck
    Modded td160 super Thorens ol encounter arm hana sl cart, angle audio studio pro mc virtual battery phono amp with separate psi, Onix pre and mono amps, Onix CD player, Onix BWD and soap tuner. B&W dm2 speakers or super pencil 12 speakers, atlas cables, seperate mains power supply with earth spike.

I'm Retief.

Default thoughts on a new phono stage

I sold an upgraded Croft RIAA R about a year ago for £650. New with the upgrades it was £1200 and was an awesome phono stage. It will take a lot of money to beat it in my experience, although I've not heard the FB. They are scarce on the 2nd hand market, but worth looking out for, and considerably better than the standard RIAA version. The only reason I changed was that I was looking for an integrated pre and my system is slowly morphing into an Audio Note based system. Glenn's service is also second to none.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Retief
    Analogue: Origin Live Resolution mk2,OL Encounter mk3c,MM III and isolator.Digital:CA 840C.Amplification:Croft RIAA R, Icon Audio LA4mkii,Icon Audio MB845 signature version.Speakers: Kef Reference 203/2 Cables: Mark Grant G2000HD. Speaker cable Van Damme Hi-Fi UP-LCOFC.Headphone: Grado PS1000,HD650,HD600,Icon Audio HP8 RCM DIY Moth

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12