Having posted elsewhere on this forum with a question and a suggested solution to a cartridge spacing problem, I thought I'd provide a quick update.

Here's the original thread with my "two pen'uth" being reply 29: -
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...enon-103/page3

Still in it's infancy and far from technically assessed, I had a piece of 3mm thick balsa that I simply cut into a section wide enough to sit under my standard Ortofon AS212 headshell. It pressed into place width wise and extends about 1" in depth.

I had to remove the standard headshell finger lift as the two threaded rods extended too deep and clashed with the cartridge.

I bought A Roksan Tabriz Zi, lift from eBay and some M2.5mm x 10mm bolts and matching nuts, similarly off eBay. With a bradawl I gently created two holes through the balsa and fixed up the rest of the components (bits, to me !)
My cartridge fits snugly, tight up to the nuts (ahem !!).

Back to basics with balancing the tonearm and the usual adjustments and much to my delight the 'spacer' provided the necessary clearance to enable the tonearm to over-sail the arm lift device with the tip nicely in the groove (I hope my technical terms aren't too off putting for you).

I have about 10 LPs that I listen to for comparison and admittedly at this point I've only listened to the first of these (Roger Waters - 'Pros and Cons of Hitch hiking')

Well, other than buying some phenolic sheet to compare the two, I must admit to being quite pleased with the result(s). Obviously it got me over the arm lift clash and then seems to cause no sonic problems with sound. Nothing seems to have been added nor nothing lost.
That isn't entirely the whole story, but that is down to my own stupidity and may form another thread should I be brave enough to admit said gormless mistake.

So if anyone wants to tinker around with 'spacing' I think balsa is worth a try. My attempt seems a good option and unless the rest of the albums shine a light on something not yet noticed, I'll stick with my little piece of wood.

If anything does crop up, I'll be sure to tell you.

Now I just need to find something to replace my Keil-Kraft Lysanders tail fin